What's the deal with saw palmetto?

Masato

Does anyone have knowledge or experiences they can share regarding saw palmetto? It seems as though some people on this forum take it and it is commonly used for treating balding/prostate conditions. Has anyone experienced any side-effects? Could this be a "natural", less aggressive version of finasteride of some sort and be beneficial for preventing hair loss?

Thank you for your comments.

• 4 months later...

It does not work and will not produce significant results ( like 95% of supplements) - stick to the proven treatments !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Middle aged to older men usually take Saw Palmetto to help improve urinary symptoms and the success for that is questionable at best. Now people say it helps to grow hair. Unless you have a slightly enlarged prostate I would not waste my money on it for hair growth.

Cheers for your opinions guys! It is rather expensive. Funny however, how it is very often brought up as a "natural alternative to finasteride". It would be interesting to read about or see some positive results from anyone who claims their hair has improved thanks to the supplement. Until such proof surfaces, I'll give up on the myth.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it's very cheap. I think it costs me about 20 euro posted for 250 caps, and it is the proper 85% standardized stuff. I'd read alot about it, but decided that before I try propecia, I'd give it a go. I've read of people taking 160g a day, but I figured in for a penny, in for a pound, and I take 1,000mg a day or thereabouts. Zero sides of any kinds. Just don't think 160g of SP is really going to make any difference at all. So, I used 250 caps in this way, and to be honest, no, I didn't find it made any difference - or so I thought. I didn't buy more after it ran out, and I most definitely noticed a dis-improvement in terms of hairloss at the front over the following month or two - was loosing hair faster. Now, the thing is, no-one can say for sure it was the SP, and it could be could coincidence, natural progression of hairloss. But it sure is interesting.

• 1 month later...

There has been a good amount of research done on beta-sitosterol which is the key ingredient of both Saw Palmetto and Super Beta Prostate. Saw Palmetto is sometimes considered a scam while Super Beta Prostate is found to be more effective simply because it contains more plant sterols. It also contains a dozen minerals and together with beta-sitosterol, you can have a healthier prostate.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9792237/super_beta_prostate_scam/

i tried saw palmetto, but i probably didn't give it a long enough try. i found it made urinating uncomfortable. the problem with these herbal things is that the scientific information just doesn't seem to be there to back up any claims.

• 3 months later...

I just recently started to take it as an experiment. I'm going to give it a go for 2 months and just see, but not looking for any substantial improvements or for it to be a "miracle" pill. I think I am getting enough help from the Proscar, Rogaine, and Revita!!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I just recently started to take it as an experiment. I'm going to give it a go for 2 months and just see, but not looking for any substantial improvements or for it to be a "miracle" pill. I think I am getting enough help from the Proscar, Rogaine, and Revita!!

I recently dropped Saw Palmetto from my regimen actually, and replaced it with Nettle Root. Having read up on it, Fin + SP are not exactly the best bed buddies, if you know what I mean!

I feel my libido has actually improved somewhat since. I spoke with my clinics rep about this (sl) who could shed much better light on it.

I think essentially the feeling is, if you are already on Fin, there doesn't appear to be a huge cause to be on SP as well. I think SP is more suited to people who do not wish to be on Fin. Again each to their own and many probably do combine both quite well, I just felt my body wasn't at 100%. It still isn't quite back to what I would feel to be top, but there is certainly an improvement since.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I recently dropped Saw Palmetto from my regimen actually, and replaced it with Nettle Root. Having read up on it, Fin + SP are not exactly the best bed buddies, if you know what I mean!

:eek: So for us nymphomaniacs, you're saying that taking the two together might give us some extra time to get some other productive things done for a change?

I kid, I kid!! :D;)

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I recently dropped Saw Palmetto from my regimen actually, and replaced it with Nettle Root...

Hmmm, do you have any reasoning behind picking up Nettle Root JD? I used to take it with Vitamin C & Echinachea when I was feeling rundown, but I never did any research into using it as a daily supplement. What's your take/research on it?

I considered trying Saw Palmetto, but the lack of medical findings are kinda meh. So I'm stalled out on the SP front, and just take MSM, Biotin, Fish Oil, E, D2 and a general non-synthetically derived Multivitamin.

I actually picked up some Nettle Root and just started taking it as well. I am also taking Pumpkin Seed Oil as I have heard that it promotes good growth as well!!! Otherwise NoTakeBacks, I am on an almost identical regimen as you.....I'm just giving the other 3 (more natural occurring remedies) a try!!

• 7 months later...

Had to stop the sp myself.peeing all time ,ed (which may or may not be due to sp)

And broke out in spots(which again may or may not be due to sp)

Only on it two weeks,hopefully my body goes back to normal soon ..