Question about hat related hair loss

Related article: Does Wearing a Hat Cause Hair Loss? | eHow.com

I recently found out that my hair was thinning. Probably would have noticed earlier if I got my hair cut sooner. Today I was prescribed some minoxidil to treat it. The doctor and some friends told me one of the possibilities why it might be thinning is due to wearing a hat too much.

About my hair, I haven't noticed an unusual amount of hairs falling out at all and the thinning seems consistent across the top of the scalp. As far as I am aware, there are currently no bald spots. The hairline drew back around the forehead and temples a year ago, but I suspect the thinning itself is unrelated to MPB.

For the last year or two, I have indeed been wearing hats often as well as sweating under them at work.

My question is, if it is due to the sweat and dirt clogging the pores under my hat, will the thinning be reversed if I stop wearing hats, or is it permanent?

Edited by n

Wearing a hat might damage the hair/snap the hair, but the follicle is under the skin so should be unaffected.

Same applies to women who use straighteners and worry about their hair falling out. They panic they could be going bald, but it's just the damaged hair shedding/snapping, making it appear thinner. If they stop using the straighteners for a while, they have have healthy hair again.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

I wore complete hair systems for 11 years. There is no question that I lost density totally unrelated to MPB although I do have MPB.

My frontal third was partially restored in my first procedure in 1996. I quit wearing hair systems after that.

A fair amount of natural hair came back once I quit wearing the systems and my first HT surgeon advised my of this. There was little to no hair left in the front before my first surgery. He said some natural hair would start to surface and regrow again and help to fill in with the grafts. He was right. It has something to do with the scalp being covered for prolonged periods of time, and the follicles growth cycles are shorter? Not sure if it's proven but have experienced it myself.

I have also noticed younger pro ball players who do have MPB have more pronounced hairloss later. They don't wear their ball caps to bed and do get some break from wearing them. I wore my hair system 24/7.

I am a big Nationals fan and I have noticed advanced MPB in players like Danny Espinosa, Steve Larmbardozzi, Jose Flores, and even Adam Laroche. Players like Ryan Zimmerman and even Bryce Harper (19) are begginning to lose their density and yet do not appear to have MPB. Take a closer look when they remove their caps. Even Chipper Jones from the Braves seem to have lost density over the years yet he does not appear to have recessionary loss.

But then look at players like Jason Werth and Michael Morse who do not appear to be impacted by it at all! :rolleyes:

Go Nats! :D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to discontinue use of the minoxidil due to the oiliness being more ridiculous than I ever imagined and the fact that it's poisonous to cats (::: Minoxidil Warning :::). In the tiny chance that the thinning is related to a scalp hygiene problem due to the hat, the extra oiliness of it isn't going to help. It's also going to make it very difficult to avoid exposing my cats to it.

I'm planning to get my hair cut really short soon so I can see how it grows back on it's own if I keep it clean. If it is MPB, then I'm just going to have to get used to having less hair because I'm more uncomfortable with using the stuff.

You may want to consider being examined in person by a reputable doctor within this community to be evaluted for your thinning. You definitely will find out if you in fact have MPB and also be informed of other alternatives like finasteride if you are diagnosed with MPB.

At least you will know what your full options are. ;)

Best wishes to you. :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

In my opinion wearing a baseball cap under normal conditions,

(in other words not wearing it super, super tight) has zero to do with hair loss.

I think people wrongly connect hairloss with wearing hats because guys with hairloss tend to wear hats to cover their balding.

I think almost all balding in men is caused by DHT related male pattern baldness.

But that's just my opinion......

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.