Hair Transplant - ears sticking out

Hi,

I got a strip method transplant from a reputable doc in Ca. his credentials:

American Medical Association

America Academy of Cosmetic Surgery

American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery

International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomat American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

I got 1700 grafts and experienced post-op swelling of the forehead and ears. This subsided after a few days, within two weeks, the sutures were removed, and all swelling had vanished. The problem is now three weeks post-op it looks like my ears still stick out a little more than they used to. Is it possible that the process of extracting the grafts and applying and removing the sutures has pulled my skin in some way to cause my ears to protrude slightly? Is there precedence for this or am I just hyper-aware and self-conscious because I've been staring at my ears for too long? If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it, Thanks.

My ears stuck out a little bit after surgery, but disappeared (the sticking out, that is) after 2 weeks. I say give it more time so that your body can return to its original state. Remember the body is plastic, that's why it's called plastic surgery.

take care...

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised Dr. Glenn posted that comment. I recently had my second hair transplant and my right ear was noticeably protruding. I am sure it is a VERY common occurrence. If you stretch the back of your head and pull off a big strip of skin, of course if could effect your ear placement. Fortunately, this condition is only temporary, and as soon as the skin regains it's elasticity, the ear, or ears, should go back to their normal position. If doctors had follow up appointments (none I know of do) with their patients after a week or so, they would see many of these types of events happen...

Thanks for the replies. It's been one month since surgery and I'm worried that my skin's elasticity won't return enough to bring my ears back to normal. Does anyone know how long this might take or if it my ears will ever return to normal?

Thanks again,

Jack

I agree with Dr. Charles.

First, being a facial plastic surgeon who has "tucked" about 74 sets of ears....I can tell you that anatomically its difficult to change the amount ears protrude from the head---even when that is the goal. It takes cartilage shaping suturing or cutting.

Second, I personally see everyone at day 7(unless they fly out prior to that) and nobody in about 1600 patients has ever mentioned it to me, nor have I ever noticed it. Now I often point out how asymetric people are PREOP and that includes showing how the ears stick out differently, and maybe that has let people see that before the surgery and then not notice it different postop.

Third, I ask everyone to come see me personally at 1 month for a scar check. Realistically 30% of people do. And so far nobody has ever commented on ear positioning.

I did have a nurse a few years back who was convinced that I completely removed her ears and reattached them at different levels after a facelift. Other than that I don't hear much about ears changing from surgery unless its part of the plan.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 6 years later...