Will I need another HT?

Hey all.

So I've noticed from reading on here that some people talk about their 2nd or 3rd HT. Just wondering does this mean that in a few years I'll have to go back and get another one done?

I just assumed that once it was done it was done for life, I never even asked my Dr about this.

Or am I mistaking that the people who are going back are getting repaired or finishing off larger HTs?

Cheers for the help.

I think when people get another procedure it's because they have lost more hair and/or they needed another session to fill in the areas that the first one didn't.

Some also get the 'hair greed' where their desires for more hair get bigger...like getting better density.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Most likely, especially if one is very bald and wants more coverage. It also dependes on your surgeon. If he was good you won't need as many, perhaps one will just do the trick. Unfortunately, for most men, male pattern baldness is ongoing, and hairs tend to get further miniaturized over time. A good surgeon will have already spotted this and focused primarily on those miniaturized areas. Propecia and like drugs may help prevent further balding however, most people need two and sometimes three surgeries to get proper coverage. My first transplant was kinda disastrous, as little growth was yeilded. But now after my second transplant in the hands of a great surgeon, Dr Parsa Mohebi, I have very little too worry about. Will I need a third one? Only time will tell. In time about 18 months from now, I will know for sure. But i'm also in my 40's and age does greatly affect hairloss.

I absolutely agree with what you say ejl7. My first FUT yielded no obvious result so 10 months later I have just had FUE, this time with a well researched International hair restoration society surgeon (s). I too am in my late 40s. My GP also said that he sees many hair transplant patients who have more success with second or third procedures than first. Educating ones self to the intricacies of hair transplants can take time and first timers often don`t know where to start when looking for surgeons which makes them easier to pick of by the opportunist not so good surgeons.

We agree on the same thing. Absolutely shyshiny. My first one was Dr Chao who "promised" to deliver good results with his "only" assistant claiming she had given me 60 grafts per cm2, all for the amazing price of $ 3,500.00. Like an idiot I went for it. Now I'm super comfortable. Dr Rassman's book "Hair Loss and Replacement for dummies" as well as countless of other articles and input from the likes of you and other members have erased all doubt.

That's interesting. I remember when I was really dubious about taking finasteride, I said to my Dr. I would rather go through another surgery in 5-10 years than take daily medicine. I now take finasteride so I thought that maybe that would be enough.

You guys are in 40s I'm only 27 I assume that means I'll def need one in 5-10 years. Suppose it depends on technology developments too, compare 10 years ago to now then maybe in 10 more things will be a lot different.

Some also get the 'hair greed' where their desires for more hair get bigger...like getting better density.

That is very interesting too, is this like in the same way people can get addicted to plastic surgery or girls to getting larger and larger implants?

Is there any articles written about this I wouldn't mind reading more on that.

I think it's just human nature to always seek improvement. At first you want to move out of a flat into a house, then you want to move out of that house into a bigger house etc I suppose it's like that with hair. At first you want a great hairline, once you get that from a HT you want the crown to be stronger.......I guess as people we are rarely satisfied and always want more :)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

I have had three hair transplants. My first two were done in my late 30's. Both procedures were 1,200+ grafts and were done one year a part. I was told I needed 2,400 grafts and that it was best to split them into two surgeries.

As time went on, I continued to lose hair and wanted to add hair in a sparce area around my partline and hair line. I was tired of having to pull the hair forward after I curled it and spraying it with hair spray. I was told I needed over 2,500 grafts. I was surprised at the amount of grafts I was told I needed. In 2002 I didn't have as much hair as in 2011, but in 2011 I had 2,600+ grafts transplanted. I am now in research of a 4th hair transplant as I have not had any growth with my 3rd

hey Blue bird. Hadn't had any growth at all? Who was your surgeon? Did you wait a full year or 18 months before you realized full growth? Did you revisit your doctor about your concerns?

" Unfortunate, the threat came from Rob at Hair Lab and Dr Chao is the one who performed my third transplant.

I saw that you are going to compare both procedures, if Rob threatens you read my blog. "

Well, that says it all.....No one can threaten you. It's against the law and highly immoral. But then again, consider the source....