Shock loss hair vs transplanted hair growth

I am just wondering whether any shock loss hair that is likely to come back after a HT, will it regrow the same rate as your transplanted hairs or both at the same time?

I am now at 9 weeks post HT and seems like I am seeing some regrowth of my existing hair shed, due to shock loss.

The existing hair that is non DHT receptive recycles very similiar to the transplanted hair. Transplanted hair taken from various donor regions is considered to be terminal hair and non receptive to DHT as well. They both behave very similiar regarding their growth cycles. And I am referring to follicle behavior.

The exisitng hair within the recipient area or what we refer to at times as "native hair" is usually subject to DHT and therefore subject to the debilitating effects of DHT. These ill effects include a slower growth cycle, meaning, the follicles can be slower to return to the growth phase because as they fulfill each growth cycle, the hair comes back weaker, thinner in hair shaft diameter, and even begin to lose pigmentation. The future growh phases become slower and shorter in duration and eventually hair production shuts down altogethor.

This is why we often inform patients to give their respective procedures a full 12 months to evaluate. The 12 month post-op period provides enough time for both DHT receptive and non DHT receptive hair follicles to cycle back to their growth phase to where they are both providing visible coverage.

The new emerging growth is also intermittent so the follicles sprout up at various intervals, not all at the same time.:cool:

The best is yet to come for you and wish you the very best results! :)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Ive read that it's possible to permanently lose some native in the HT process if it was on the way out anyway. (Hair that might have stayed in for a few more years until the next natural cycle!). I've seen a lot of pics of guys with a thinner general area near transplanted hairs (that was looking more natural pre-HT). So in the end they have more hair in the front for instance, but right behind it the shockloss took some natural density away for good. ...or am I mistaken?

Maybe not for everyone but for some?

I generally tell my patients that if they have any shock loss of the original/native hair that some will be temporary and some will be permanant. The hairs that are very weak and unhealthy will likely be lost , but that healthier hair that fall out post operatively due to shock will grow back at the same time or sometimes a little sooner than the transplanted hairs. When they call me and say they think the transplanted hairs are already growing I explain the them that the hairs that are growing first are likely the shocked hairs.

Possibly the transplanted follicles take a bit longer to show emerging new growth because they are getting established (healing) in a new environment of blood supply whereby existing native hair follicles are already established and connected to their blood supply.

Just a thought. :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I often wondered while my huge shockloss was growing back was the hair I'm seeing shockloss regrowing or ht hair but I never could tell. Check my blog in link below to see month by month shock to regrowth.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Guest mariasamonte

Several factors lead to hair loss in men and women, most notably androgenic alopecia, an inherited condition. Treatment is available. Early treatment produces better results. Balding is a cosmetic condition, usually resulting from genetic influences, aging, skin conditions, or certain medications. The most common forms of balding are male- and female-pattern baldness. I have accidentally visited this site 0800-advanced-hair.co.uk and gave it a try. It has informations and products for those people who are balding and suffering from hair thinning or hair loss. I have been using it now for 6 months and i am very happy with the result. I recommend you try this for good results.

• 7 months later...

Hi Jetfan11,

Thankfully, yes, I did recover from the significant shockloss. My shockloss was experienced at about the one month mark Post HT. The native hairs lost due to shockloss started to regrow at about 2 and a half months.

I have attached two photos, one photo at the 1 month mark and you can see I too had terrible shock loss and the other photo now at 10 months.

Some of my native hairs on my crown did not regrow, I think they were on their way out, because they were quite weak.

shock-loss-1-month.png.1fa2c90750d0a5ef6dd7fe574c81156d.png

5b32d7aaddea0_2013-03-2513_26.jpg.de7e2ca8dbe323087362adc3e6e0b70f.jpg

I am just wondering whether any shock loss hair that is likely to come back after a HT, will it regrow the same rate as your transplanted hairs or both at the same time?

I am now at 9 weeks post HT and seems like I am seeing some regrowth of my existing hair shed, due to shock loss.

Hello Aramis69,

As you are aware shock loss occurs for many HT patients before they see their results. Hair loss during shock loss usually will return to a normal growth cycle so just be patient. Most people see things balancing out within 6 to 12 months after their HT. So hopefully no worries for you. Did your doctor prescribe finesteride post surgery? Keep us updated and add some images if you have time. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for responding. Much much appreciated. Do you have pre op photo? How did you know was shock loss recovering and not new grafts? I ask because I have little faith my new grafts will grow.

So your hair fell out at 1 month but recovered 2.5 months afterr that? Or recovered 2.5 months after surgery date?

Sorry for all questions!

It's a pleasure jetfan11. Yes, you can check my blog for pre-op photos. I have attached a few more here.

"How did you know was shock loss recovering and not new grafts? I ask because I have little faith my new grafts will grow"

That's a good question and a valid one I might add.

I have a pretty good analysis of where the grafts were placed and some of the native hairs were weak (thin) to begin with and if plucked, they would come out easily. If you look at my pre-op photos, you can see that the hair on the left-side mid scalp region were still strong and dense, these were not touched during surgery. The techs did not shave my hair, instead they implanted grafts in between native hairs.

The new implanted grafts that have grown are distinguishable in that they are thicker, wavy, darker and much stronger than the weaker native hairs. But, then again I could be wrong.

"Did your doctor prescribe finesteride post surgery? Keep us updated and add some images if you have time."

No, Michael. The doctor did not mention it at all. However, at my age I would have avoided it at any cost due to potentially damaging side effects. My blog has been updated today with new photos.

pre-op-1.jpg.6f84fec915c8fd0c3b2a9daa62cb8142.jpg

pre-op-2.jpg.2d794f4d76573e98e00f450d67f5a411.jpg

pre-op-3.jpg.0e4d26cb67a20577a37c6e78b7e450ad.jpg

pre-op-4.jpg.9e2ea3afb1ef7d4ebfab9bd92390eda3.jpg

It's a pleasure jetfan11. Yes, you can check my blog for pre-op photos. I have attached a few more here.

"How did you know was shock loss recovering and not new grafts? I ask because I have little faith my new grafts will grow"

That's a good question and a valid one I might add.

I have a pretty good analysis of where the grafts were placed and some of the native hairs were weak (thin) to begin with and if plucked, they would come out easily. If you look at my pre-op photos, you can see that the hair on the left-side mid scalp region were still strong and dense, these were not touched during surgery. The techs did not shave my hair, instead they implanted grafts in between native hairs.

The new implanted grafts that have grown are distinguishable in that they are thicker, wavy, darker and much stronger than the weaker native hairs. But, then again I could be wrong.

"Did your doctor prescribe finesteride post surgery? Keep us updated and add some images if you have time."

No, Michael. The doctor did not mention it at all. However, at my age I would have avoided it at any cost due to potentially damaging side effects. My blog has been updated today with new photos.

Well, it looks like you are progressing nicely...and there certainly is some good improvement, congratulations. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum