How do you guys that go to Canada deal with the tax?

I looked at options for going up to Canada because I've read good things about several of their clinics. Prices seem comparable with the US, BUT CANADA ADDS A 13% TAX! How do you get around that? Is there an option like when you travel to Europe of getting a tax refund at the airport? Or does this simply become an additional cost to an already expensive procedure?

Edited by gobble

I looked at options for going up to Canada because I've read good things about several of their clinics. Prices seem comparable with the US, BUT CANADA ADDS A 13% TAX! How do you get around that? Is there an option like when you travel to Europe of getting a tax refund at the airport? Or does this simply become an additional cost to an already expensive procedure?

Yes, it's pretty unfair but I don't know of a way around it. Canadian border control is also rather paranoid about visitors trying to milk their health service, so they usually want to evidence that you've paid fees in advance of having the procedure.

Regards,

Postdoc

Hey...no way around this. Just have to pay it...sucks but it is what it is. To me, money of course is an issue but when it comes to something serious like a HT...the 13% tax was nominal...just another cost. Don't not go to someone in Canada just because of the tax...you will wind up spending a lot more to fix the bad HT job you received and that will cost more than 13% lol.

Your doctor will probably offer some sort of travel discount which would help offset the tax.

Mixedguy, a passport is required when traveling to Canada from the US. It wasn't always that way - I think the requirement was introduced as part of the post-9/11 security increases.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I'm sure I already know tha answer to this but I'm going to ask anyways. When flying to Canada from US do you need a passport?

YES you do need a passport.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Also guys paying with credit cards should be aware that many credit card companies charge a premium for "international transactions" which can really add up on something as expensive as a hair transplant.

So I did some checking and found out that Capital One is one of a few that do not tack on some extra bogus "international transaction" fees. So a couple of months ago I got a Capital One Mastercard.

Discover also does not charge the "international transaction fee" but my doctor did not accept Discover, but will gladly accept the Capital One Master Card.

Also note that it is a good idea to call your credit card company the week before your procedure and let them know you will be having a significant charge come through from out of the country so they are forewarned.

Alberta has the lowest tax. Its about 5% only.

I'm sure I already know tha answer to this but I'm going to ask anyways. When flying to Canada from US do you need a passport?

If you are not a US citizen then you would need visa along with the passport.

Shampoo: I am not sure on the capital one "Master Card" but capital one "Visa" definitely charges a international transaction fees. ( Source- I was hit hard with the fees for using the card in different country)

Shampoo: I am not sure on the capital one "Master Card" but capital one "Visa" definitely charges a international transaction fees. ( Source- I was hit hard with the fees for using the card in different country)

5bc1c807.jpg

59. Will Capital One charge me a fee if I use my credit card overseas?

Answer: Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions.

Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge.

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/help/index.php

What about if you do financing? What is the best way to do financing if you're in the US but doing procedure in Canada?

Many of the top doctors have tabs on their websites like this:

Hair Transplant Financing