Spikey transplanted hairs?

Magnum,

I have spiky hairs as well.. This is something that you'll have to deal with when having a hair transplant.. It kinda feels like a porcupine.. Once you get a hair transplant it is never the same.. 4 weeks post op to 10 years down the road it will always feel like that.. It will be something that you'll have to get adjusted too.. Just another thing that some clinics don't educated us on before having this procedure done.. Some will tell you on your first surgery in the middle of the surgery like "hair transplants aren't the same thing." Thanks for being detailed to you clinics that don't advise us about this spikiness things.. Kinda does suck..

Most of my transplanted hair is spikey, but it is only obvious to touch when cut short. The texture is not the same. I wouldn't not get an HT because of this, but anyway, when asked, a lot of clinics explain this away by pointing out that the hair may be kinky for a while, but will then 'settle down'. This may be true, but nevertheless, cut it short and it is spikey. Part of the problem is that hair from the donor isn't the same as thin softer hair up front, especially once it has started to minaturise, even a little.

That is not the normal, transplanted hair should take on the same characteristics as the donor hair. Initially the hair might be slightly different, but as the hair matures it should be the same texture as the donor area. If follicles/roots have been damaged when cutting the grafts or smashed into the surgical site that can cause a textural change in the hair.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

One of the reasons I use mostly lateral slits when making the recipeint sites (especially in hairline/frontal region) is to avoid the spikey effect. I found this this spikey phenomenon to be more common when using the vertical slit technique.