finasteride side effects, want some input

savehair

Hi All,

sorry for creating another thread , i know this has been discussed multiple times and in multiple threads but i want some inputs from the community to see if i should continue taking finasteride

i starting taking generic finasteride at 1.25 mg every other day January 2012 then increased my intake after 6~8 weeks to 1.25mg everyday but skips on the 5th day to get to 5 mg every 5 days.

Pros:

- my hair now feels much thicker than before

- i do see some improvements in my vertex where hair was thinning and scalp was showing

Cons:

- depression , i would occasionally get down real easily, i do have some bad thoguhts from time to time , it's taking a big toll on me. it's also getting worse due to some events that's happening in my life

- occasionally get soft erection or penis feels numb.

Currently, after consulting with my dermatologist, he suggested that i should stay on the drug for the improvement on the hair but reduce down the dosage to 1.25 mg every other day if i want to. we didn't really disucss much about the cons so that wasn't factored into his decision, i just merely asked if i can reduce down the dosage because of the recent news and side effects

given my current situation, what would you recommend for me to do? thank you....

here's my profile

Hair Loss level : NW3. receding hairline, thinning all over the head but most noticeable on the crown, showing some scalp and circles

Treatment: kirkland minoxidil 5% twice daily, 1.25 mg finasteride every other day

i've also scheduled a HT in december this year to restore my hairline and frontal third

Hi there,

I've admitted defeat on finasteride this week having been on it for 3.5 months. I noticed lately I've been getting the dreaded 'brain fog' which has been mentioned in various articles.

Having been off it for about 5 days now I feel better already.

I don't regret trying the drug and would say to anyone it is worth a try, but for me the sides out do the benefits.

Minox seems to work quite well for me so all is not lost. I'll continue to use the foam in combination with Nizoral.

So I think my advice to you is to stop taking it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...

Dude its up to you to make the best informed personal decison you can by researching everything possible you can lay your eyes on on the drug and its side effects.

I tried it for 3 and a half years and you will see my other posts had to come off due to severe side effects.

I dont really regret trying it as i was desperate at the time. Im not anymore.

The facts are it will help stop or slow hair loss but it generally wont grow anymore where theres no hair. If you are going to take it be sure to have all your blood work done prior to starting so you have baseline data to refer too should you have issues. Its essential you have this.

I will never take it again due to the severe sides which kicked in. And having been off nearly a year i can safely say it was having sides all that time even though i didnt really realise it at the time. Its only being off i can see the difference and it is big.

Weighing everything up and bearing in mind future Hair restoration technologies that are hopefully coming to the mainsteam in the next few years. Along with the 'unknown factor' of what long term Fin use can do to a man.

The risks are not worth it in my opinion and i feel a hell of a lot of peace of mind now that i am off it. That is the most important thing for me. Plus i value a raging libido over hair any day of the week.!

I feel like a million dollars now I'm off it, but like the post before, no regrets trying.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Dude its up to you to make the best informed personal decison you can by researching everything possible you can lay your eyes on on the drug and its side effects.

I tried it for 3 and a half years and you will see my other posts had to come off due to severe side effects.

I dont really regret trying it as i was desperate at the time. Im not anymore.

The facts are it will help stop or slow hair loss but it generally wont grow anymore where theres no hair. If you are going to take it be sure to have all your blood work done prior to starting so you have baseline data to refer too should you have issues. Its essential you have this.

I will never take it again due to the severe sides which kicked in. And having been off nearly a year i can safely say it was having sides all that time even though i didnt really realise it at the time. Its only being off i can see the difference and it is big.

Weighing everything up and bearing in mind future Hair restoration technologies that are hopefully coming to the mainsteam in the next few years. Along with the 'unknown factor' of what long term Fin use can do to a man.

The risks are not worth it in my opinion and i feel a hell of a lot of peace of mind now that i am off it. That is the most important thing for me. Plus i value a raging libido over hair any day of the week.!

thanks man, very good advices.

unfortunately , i didnt take any blood work before finasteride intake for a baseline , for those of you who are about to try the drug, you guys should definitely do it

after reduction of dosage, i already see some improvement in the mood and the sides. i am seeing some shedding, still a tough call for me to whether stay on or completely drop it