What should I do?

Hello to everyone who is willing to read this post icon_smile.gif

I am 26 years old and have been on 1.25mg of Proscar daily since December. I have been contemplating having a HT done to straighten my hair line as there is some recession as you can see in the picture attached. However, after some online consultations with coalition doctors clinics, the general opinion has been the same: they don't think I need one. Although I do appreciate their honesty and the fact that they are not blindly selling me a procedure that I may not need for the sake of profit, I would still like to get other patients opinions. Did any of you have a similar pattern of hair loss to mine at my age? And did the recession proceed any further or stay as it was? I'm just wondering if surgery is the way to go, or would most of you stick with meds for now? Your thoughts would be much appreciated, all comments are welcome.

Front.bmp

Hello to everyone who is willing to read this post icon_smile.gif

I am 26 years old and have been on 1.25mg of Proscar daily since December. I have been contemplating having a HT done to straighten my hair line as there is some recession as you can see in the picture attached. However, after some online consultations with coalition doctors clinics, the general opinion has been the same: they don't think I need one. Although I do appreciate their honesty and the fact that they are not blindly selling me a procedure that I may not need for the sake of profit, I would still like to get other patients opinions. Did any of you have a similar pattern of hair loss to mine at my age? And did the recession proceed any further or stay as it was? I'm just wondering if surgery is the way to go, or would most of you stick with meds for now? Your thoughts would be much appreciated, all comments are welcome.

Yeah that's what I thought Leeson, around a 3. I did always have a 'widows peak', but the recession started about three years ago (or that's when I started to notice it).

Stay on meds and you may want to talk to doc about avodart, as many surgeons are recommending this. Take time to see if this stabilizes hair from any further progression. Once you know, make sure a HT is the path you want to go. Talk to other patients and get a feel on their choice to get one. As for me, There are times I'm glad and other times I wish I just shaved it off.

Remember it is not about what other people think. It is about what you think. If you are unhappy with the receding look now, you will probably never like it. If you decide to have a hair transplant make sure your new hairline is in a location that will still look appropriate 20-30 years from now. I also recommend staying on the DHT blocker to try and not let your hairloss advance any further.

Thanks Leeson and Dr. Charles for your replies. I will certainly stick with the Proscar, as it seems to have helped a lot of people retain their existing hair. I know the hair game is never guaranteed, but I would be happy enough to not have a HT if the loss didn't progress any further than it has. I was due to have a HT not too long ago but I cancelled it for various reasons.

hi g,

looking at your pics i would definately hold tight at this point.

you seem to have good density in your exsisting hair,you may be lucky and hold on to what you have for a good while yet.

i and a bet a lot of other guys on here would love to have that much hair even with the temple recesion.

i say enjoy it,give the meds a go and save your donor for when you might really need it in 10-20 years time.

the last thing you want to do is waste a few thousand grafts trying to match density on a youthful hairline only to find you need them in your forties if everything behind disapears.

stick around though,be nice to hear your progress on the meds.

all the best.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Cheers for that Balody, I'm certainly going to stick with the proscar to help keep what I have. However, I have been in touch with Spex (who was very helpful I might add) and sent some pictures for them to look at. Their opinion is EXACTLY what I thought I've needed all along which was very encouraging to hear, because to echo what Dr. Charles was talking about earlier, I don't like my hair line and I never will. Spex clearly explained what the doctor said would need to be done if I choose to go ahead with the op, and I was left with a very good feeling about it all as they hit the nail on the head in regards to what I'm after. And with Dr. Feller's glowing reputation I would say that his opinion you can pretty much take to the bank. So I think I've finally found the road down which to travel with Dr. Feller. Thanks again for all your feedback lads.

G

Haven't booked a date just yet Petchski mate, but I'd be looking towards maybe September as I'm currently saving for it, and I'm going to make a holiday out of it too while I'm in New York. Never been, so it would be good to do a bit of sightseeing and do the whole tourist thing (even if I have to do it with a hat on) icon_biggrin.gif . From the photos they reckon it would be around 2000 grafts strip to reconstruct the hairline, but again, that number is just an estimate and Spex explained that once Dr. Feller does the examination, only then could they know for certain the exact amount of grafts needed. But I'm looking forward to the trip, seems a long way off but it'll come around quick enough.

My hairline looks much the same. Im 30 years old and have been taking Propecia for 2 years now.

Some days to me, after some hair styling, it looks good and I wonder why I even want to have a HT but it only takes a bit of wind and a wrong 'whoosh' of the hair and Im reminded how much I hate the look I have (and seemingly you have).

So despite some saying we have a 'great hair line' I think it is very individual as to what we would accept.

Im having my HT in December and it cant wait to get rid of this hairline. Good luck and I think you made a good decision, that is going with your gut instinct as to what will make you happy.

SDM

Hi GTDL,

Hopefully you'll be a lucky one and you're hair loss pattern has stabilized. Based on family history you can probably get a better idea.

Dr. Feller would be an excellent choice for you if you do decide to go forward with an HT. In my opinion 2000 seems a little aggressive but that's best left to you and the Dr based on your desired results. Not sure what your budget is. but you look to be an excellent candidate for FUE and Dr. Feller's work with FUE in cases such as yourself is pretty elite based on what I've seen.

If you do book a date with Dr. Feller you'll have a much more enjoyable time if you plan your site seeing time before the HT. You'll be ok to get out and about after with a hat on but you'll probably feel more like just relaxing in your room.

Good luck

GTDL:

I think you need a small HT session maybe in the range of 1500-2000 grafts. However, i advise that you stay on Proscar for at least 1 year. You may be surprise of re-growth from it.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Thanks for your replies guys.

Sounds like you're in the very same boat as me ShavedDethMonk, I too style it aggressively to cover the balding temples and it does look ok after pumping it full of Dax Wax and hair spray to hold it in place. But the wind is a sworn enemy as you know, even the strongest hair products are no match for the strongest wind. And like Dr. Charles pointed out earlier, if YOU yourself aren't happy, you probably never will be. So I reckon surgery is the best way to go. Are you having your operation with Dr. Feller too?

I certainly hope you're right Flyby, although it would be difficult to predict my hairloss from family history as my father and grandfather both died quite young, in their 40s so who knows how they would have turned out. Although in saying that, they both had the same kind of hair line as I do when they died and they were about 15 years older than I am right now at the time of their deaths so maybe it won't progress any further. You're absolutely right, the sightseeing would be a better idea before the op, don't know why I didn't think of that ha ha!

I certainly will stay on the proscar latinlotus, I've seen some superb results from it so far, like Flavio,a poster on this site. He's been on it 10 years and has a fantastic head of hair (and I don't think he has ever had surgery either). Although (and correct me if I'm wrong here) isn't proscar most effective for retaining hair on the crown or has it been known to prevent hair loss and regenerate growth at the front as well? I've spoken to different people about it, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a good 'prevention' rather than a 'cure'.

Cheers Balody,

In fact, many thanks to you too, as you've given me a lot of info and advice since I first started using this forum. And also Richie48, if you're reading this you've also been a great help and thanks for all your advice too.