Second Surgery SHOCK LOSS?

This is a follow-up to my thread yesterday called THINNER than BEFORE!

BEFORE & AFTER Pics posted below.

I'm freaking at how thin everything is 3 months after my SECOND surgery. I was fairly pleased with the results after my first 3,500 graft surgery 2 years ago, but when the light hit my hairline it still seemed thin, so the doctor added 900 grafts 3 months ago.

I just can't believe how THIN everything is, and now I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake to have the second sugery? It seems like IF...IF...everything thinkens up it will just go back to what it was BEFORE the second surgery, making the second surgery a complete waste. That's IF...I'm thinking the end result may be THINNER than BEFORE!! Has that EVER Happened?

I'm also concerned because I'm reading that if the first grafts, which the doctor shaved, had been damaged and shocked, they MAY not return!!!!

What do you guys think???

Thank You!

5b32d319e66bd_BEFORESecondSurgery.jpg.19030f63e10e80894ee92020f97e8019.jpg

5b32d319f21fc_AFTERSecondSurgery.JPG.97dcc594081aaecc97fa718c198af1b8.JPG

I think you need to read what Dr. Lindsey posted a while back...

Dr. Lindsey...

Today you will leave with a crew cut of new hair wherever we place it.

7 days from now you'll get your sutures out and most likely you won't have cleaned enough...but once you wash away any remaining scabs in the recipient area...you should look pretty good.

That hair will grow for one month and then just about all of it, AND any of your native hair in that area, will fall out.

Nothing will happen for 6 weeks, and then your native hairs will start to regrow. You'll think its our new hair, but its most likely not.

So from week 5 to 11, you will be balder than now, then at about 3 months you'll be back to baseline with your native hair.

At around 6 months, some of the new hair will be growing. Sometimes its earlier (luck) and sometimes its later(absence of luck).

1 year from today, I'd expect you to have pretty good results but its probably 15 months til you are max'd out....but no one can remember to come in at 15 months, so we do an even year.

If you are a revision of previous surgery, particularly a plug repair...add 3 months to the above timeline starting at the 3 month event noted above.

No problem. You can look at my photos. I had terrible shock loss -- native and previously transplanted hair. Three months we awful but at four months things started looking up. Hang in there, I bet you'll end up looking great.

Thank You SGS...

I'm wondering what this means..."Then at about 3 months you'll be back to baseline with your native hair."

Does that mean that at 3 months all the hair on my forehead should have the SAME density and thickness it did BEFORE the second surgery?

Because if that's the case, at the three month point right now, it is most definitely NOT "back to baseline."

Thoughts?

• 9 months later...

Jjarden,

I am in the same situation. Had shock loss of grafts and previously transplanted hair. Its beyond bad. i am right at 3 months. Did your shock loss recover?

Sgs,

About your shock loss..Were you without improvement through 3 4 months and then it started to recover or did it start to recover during the entire 3/4 months?

• 1 month later...
This is a follow-up to my thread yesterday called THINNER than BEFORE!

BEFORE & AFTER Pics posted below.

I'm freaking at how thin everything is 3 months after my SECOND surgery. I was fairly pleased with the results after my first 3,500 graft surgery 2 years ago, but when the light hit my hairline it still seemed thin, so the doctor added 900 grafts 3 months ago.

I just can't believe how THIN everything is, and now I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake to have the second sugery? It seems like IF...IF...everything thinkens up it will just go back to what it was BEFORE the second surgery, making the second surgery a complete waste. That's IF...I'm thinking the end result may be THINNER than BEFORE!! Has that EVER Happened?

I'm also concerned because I'm reading that if the first grafts, which the doctor shaved, had been damaged and shocked, they MAY not return!!!!

What do you guys think???

Thank You!

Jjarden,

Did your shockmloss come back? I'd really like to know as I am in similar boat. Really stressing.

Mine came back and then some. It was a very rough four months but then it starts and fully recovers (in my situation). I'm 50 so I would think a younger person would have better success than me.

Give it another 3-4 months and I'll bet you'll start to see things fill in much better than the present time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

Did it ever grow in and grow back?

Who was your surgeon? Were you warned about possible shock loss?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Was it with a recommended surgeon? Can you name the clinic?

was the approach for HT #2 aggressive?

thanks

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Now you guys have me worried. I had a very successful 2000 grafts in Nov 2011, and I was thinking about 1500 more in a couple years. My hair looks good right now so I don't want to mess it up.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Not knowing anything about the surgeon, it's hard to say because of all of the variables. I had four separate procedures from three different surgeons and overall had good results. The reputation and skill of the surgeon are critical especially in subsequent procedures.

Yet on the other hand if you are happy with how you look at present, why go for more? Best to wait until your hairloss progresses to the point that you will want another procedure.

Not implying jetfan, but I occasionally read about guys that have awesome results and then just continue to want more and more until they suddenly begin shedding or looking thinner because of the potential transection of subsequent procedures, compromising the blood flow to the recipient areas, lower yields, etc.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

My timeline before I would actually consider anything more is 4 years, so I would be looking at 6 years between transplants. I wonder if the long time between would make it less likely to suffer shock loss.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I am in the exact same position as Dazed, including graft counts.

The first HT changed my life in an amazing way.

But there is a thin spot in the front on one side that makes me style my hair as a partover.

I am scheduled to have my 2nd HT this summer. My goal is to be able to wear my hair back and also not worry about windy days forever. It has bothered me for a while and I just want to give myself inner peace about my hair, also want to cut it shorter.

Gillenator and other multiple HT veterans, is it possible to have a second localized procedure only into the thinner areas without risking shockless? I really cannot see shaving my entire front down right now as I am in a good hair cycle except the thin areas, but I guess shaving eliminates more risk of shockloss?

(my surgeon is one of the top ones recommended and of course will post results but looking for input now)

go dense or go home

hsrp10,

The recipient area does not necessarily need to be "shaved" down but rather buzzed or cut to a length that clearly displays the "current angulation" of the existing hair shafts. This is the primary reason for cutting the length down. When the hair shafts are longer, it's the pull down effects of weight/gravity that can pull the hair shafts in a more acute direction that can be misleading to the surgeon as they create new recipient incisions. If the surgeon does not account for this, transection of the existing hair can happen.

This is why at times we will read about someone having subsequent procedures and after one year passes, they do not make the visual gains in coverage that they expected. Some even look thinner as we have already read. And it's a very good idea to ask for as many examples from the surgeon where they have done subsequent procedures for the purposes of adding density to recipient areas within existing/native hair.

In addition, transplanted hair is not as susceptible to shockloss as native/diffusing hair. Many docs are of the opinion that it is advisable for the male patient to be on finasteride for at least six months prior to the procedure. Obviously there will be exceptions.

If you are being treated by one of the reputable recommended surgeons within this community, then you should be fine because of the standards that are required to be recommended in the first place. The variable is overall experience but these surgeons are established and have demonstrated consistency in their results. You still however want to choose someone that is skilled/proven at building visual density in subsequent procedures along with the other important artistic and clinical skills and surgical team.

Chances are, the thinning area that you are noticing is recessionary loss that has progressed. There is no reason why that area cannot be enhanced with more grafts and obviously your surgeon will examine the entire area with magnification to note where there is impeding diffusion.

Shock loss is mostly related to the trauma caused by the incisions. The fewer the incisions, the less trauma. In addition, the less invasive the instruments are that create the recipient incisions, the less trauma. Any area that is directly adjacent or in close proximity to the recipient area, that hair can also be temporarily shocked. Overall, shock loss as you probably already know, is unpredictable.

Again, if you are going to a reputable proven surgeon, then you have everything going in your favor.

Best wishes to you my friend. ;)

Gillenator

My timeline before I would actually consider anything more is 4 years, so I would be looking at 6 years between transplants. I wonder if the long time between would make it less likely to suffer shock loss.

Not necessarily because again, it is the trauma directly related to the recipient incisions that induce the shock loss. You probably have regained enough scalp laxity if you are having strip and you may have also stabilized your hairloss if you have been experiencing efficiency with low dose finasteride.

Just curious, do you have any idea how many grafts that you would like to have done? Any enhancement to your hairline?

Glad to see you are carefully considering your restoration over a lifetime!

Wishing you the best...;)

Gillenator

Gillenator,

Thanks for that detailed and encouraging reply!

I have agreed to let the surgeon buzz down the front recipient areas to the length he needs to perform the procedure.

I am getting more and more anxious about shockloss because my hair is growing back fairly nicely after Nizoral overuse and dandruff issues, but am confident the Dr. is one of the best or better ones out there who will do a careful and precise job.

go dense or go home

You are so welcome my friend and wish you the very best in your upcoming procedure! ;)

Gillenator