Post-HT hair loss

Just a quick question - I had my HT (3000 grafts with Dr Pathonvanich) almost 4 weeks ago.

Most of my transplanted hairs are still in tact in my head - although some have gone. How long does it tend to take for all the transplanted hairs to shed and is it a case of the sooner they fall out the sooner they can regrow or does it not matter?

Just curious as I didn't expect them to still be so visible.

Hair Restoration Site for Barry1108

It is usually at this time 3-4 weeks post-op that the average patient experiences some degree of shockloss to the existing native hair.

The hair that was transplanted within the grafts usually come out when the crusts come off. Are the crusts (scabs) still present? If so, most are of the opinion that you can begin to remove them 10-12 days post-op. Most can be easily removed in the shower when shampooing you hair. You may need to dislodge some of the stubborn ones.

What did your doctor tell you regarding these crusts and when to remove them?

Whether it is shockloss to the native hair or the hair within the grafts, the follicles are what go dormant (resting phase) and why they fall out. Then they rest for approximately 3-4 months before re-entering the growth phase.

This is why it is recommended to remove the dead hair before the new growth emerges. Contact your doctor if in question.

Best wishes to you as the best is yet to come, regrowth!:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was wondering if it was possible for the transplanted hair to skip the dormant phase and continue to grow? I know I am at 2.5 months for op and it looks like about 20% of the transplanted hair is actually growing..

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

It is usually at this time 3-4 weeks post-op that the average patient experiences some degree of shockloss to the existing native hair.

The hair that was transplanted within the grafts usually come out when the crusts come off. Are the crusts (scabs) still present? If so, most are of the opinion that you can begin to remove them 10-12 days post-op. Most can be easily removed in the shower when shampooing you hair. You may need to dislodge some of the stubborn ones.

What did your doctor tell you regarding these crusts and when to remove them?

Whether it is shockloss to the native hair or the hair within the grafts, the follicles are what go dormant (resting phase) and why they fall out. Then they rest for approximately 3-4 months before re-entering the growth phase.

This is why it is recommended to remove the dead hair before the new growth emerges. Contact your doctor if in question.

Best wishes to you as the best is yet to come, regrowth!:cool:

The scabs all came off after 10-12 days, basically once I went back to normal shower/hair washing routine.

The hairs I am referring to are the transplanted ones which I was told would be gone after 2-3 weeks and there are still lots of them there almost 4 weeks post-op - is it a rule that you lose all these hairs before regrowth or do some od them stay in and grow?

True, there is no hard and fast rule however all hair follicles in production will eventually cycle through the various phases. If the crust(s) comes off without the hair shaft, this implies that the follicle(s) remained in the growth phase and why they continue to gain length.

It is related trauma that causes the follicles to go dormant. With the advent of smaller and refined instruments including custom-sized blades, the trauma levels are not as high as they were years ago when blades were not used at all.

This includes the effect of post-op shockloss to the exisitng native hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Most of the hairs have now fallen out, this allied to my native hair having been shaved and the scar showing through on the back makes me look terrible! :eek:

I fully expected this stage though, it is now 1 month post-op for me so time is ticking along.

Hopefully my native hair will grow enough so I can look almost human again and then I can get excited about potential new growth. I will update blog with photos later