When should I let my doc cut the sutures?

I get my impression my doc is a bit informal about when exactly to cut the sutures. He says his protocol is to cut the first sutures in one week, and then to cut the second sutures in 2 weeks.

Now, I know for a fact that if you leave sutures in too long then you get scarring in the holes where the sutures are. This causes a railroad track to appear with dot scars on both sides of the long scar. Then again dot scars are really small and probably would not be seen under hair. I want to do whatever will minimize scarring, cognizant that the line scar is the big issue.

So after what day should I let the doc cut the first sutures and at what day should I let him cut the second sutures?

RSN,

Is the suture removal timeline from your hair transplant surgeon, or another physician willing to remove the sutures?

If the operating surgeon recommends the above timeline, I highly suggest following it.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I just don't think the doc has a rigorous protocol or strong beliefs on it.

His normal protocol is to remove the first sutures 7 days after and then the second sutures 14 days after.

He scheduled my first removal for 5 days after. I came into the office to learn that the nurse does it, and he was not even in the office. The nurse could not figure out why he scheduled me for only 5 days and said it must have been a mistake so rescheduled me for 7 days after. She did not even ask the doctor to confirm the change.

I asked the nurse if we might schedule the first suture removal a little later than 7 days, and she said there was no harm is waiting longer, and i would merely have more discomfort. (But I know there is harm in keeping sutures too long in the sense that you get scars in holes that the sutures make, which of course is probably not a big deal underneath hair.)

Edited by rsn

• Moderators

I always thought 7 to 10 days was the normal range of time for suture removal.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7-10 days post-op is the average for patients that heal well. IMHO, each case should be evaluated on the patient's own merits (healing).

If the patient was more tight at closure, the surgeon can perform a double-closure, or in my last procedure, staples were used and were in for 12 days. My PCP removed them for me.

IMHO, better to leave them in a few days extra rather than have them removed too early.

Don't worry about those tiny holes left by the thread. Those tiny holes will close up in a matter of several weeks after suture removal.

The tiny holes left by my staples healed just fine and you would never find any of them if you looked in my donor region.:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY