how long does shedding last?

Raj05

Hello,

I have been 3 weeks on Finpecia(propecia) and off late i have observed my frontal hair line is thinning out and making me very anxious. I am not sure its a seasonal shed or due to finpecia.

either way just wanted to ask how long does this shed last ? when would it stop and how can I identify whether its a seasonal shed or just due to propecia? Any ideas/pointers to identify.

Hi Raj,

It's likely from the medication (finasteride). From what I can tell, the average "shed" usually lasts around 3-4 months. Additionally, keep in mind that you should really utilize the medication for at least 6 months before assessing any results, and stopping the medication will reverse any progress and restart the progressive balding process.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Raj,

From what I can tell, the average "shed" usually lasts around 3-4 months. Additionally, keep in mind that you should really utilize the medication for at least 6 months before assessing any results, and stopping the medication will reverse any progress and restart the progressive balding process.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hi Future_HT_Doc,

Right now I am losing considerable amount of hair so 3-4 months sounds very scary. Just don't know whether to stop ,continue, quit, talk to my doctor or reduce the dosage?

What kind of results can I see after this shed period? Will my sick hair which fell in the shed period grow back and become thick ?

Also there are times when the minoxidil (Tugain Foam) spreads to the regular hair(unaffected by DHT) then does the Regular normal hair fall off. I am bit confused and what's the shedding period for minoxidil? similar like Finpecia

Is there an FAQ section in this site on propecia, minoxidil drug results, side effects, shed period, etc. Makes it easy for newbies like us.

Hi Raj,

You can always talk to your physician if you're uncomfortable, but I do feel confident stating that stopping the medication right now (unless you're having adverse side effects) is not advised. The shedding phase is a fairly normal part of the finasteride process, and those who stop during the initial shed are often disappointed and require a decent period of time to reclaim what they lost.

After the shedding period, you can expect the lost hair to return with increased thickness and fullness, a reversal of your progressive hair loss, and possibly some new hair growth.

Minoxidil causes a shed as well (however, this is Rogaine, not Propecia), and although hairs that seem unaffected by hair loss may "fall out," this is really just the drug's way of shedding weak hair and "bringing it back" thicker and fuller.

While you can always ask as many questions as you like, our Hair Loss Learning Center may be a good place to start for general information.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I've been on it for almost 2 months but cant say I've noticed much of a shed. 1 and a half months of this I've combined it with Regaine Foam and Nizoral Shampoo.

What I would say is my hair is looking a lot better quality and I can see what appears to be the beginnings of some 'new' hair sprouting in the hairline.

I'm taking monthly progress photos (next one due 2nd June) and uploading them on to this site).

I've seen some amazing results using the above meds and hope I can be one of the lucky ones. It will take a good 6-9 months but it's got to be worth a shot!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Future_HT_Doc,

just to summarize

a) On both Propecia and minoxidil the shed is how long?

b) On propecia alone the shed is how long?

c) On minoxidil alone the shed is how long?

In all the three above cases when can I expect re growth? and how many strands of hair fall on average?