FUT - Some Queries

Hi guys,

I am going to go for FUT method for getting a HT done and had a couple of queries about the method:

1. Are the stitches 'absorbable' ? If not, how long will need to wait to get them removed? (I will be visiting the doctor's clinic/city only to get my HT done and don't want to spend a long time there)

2. I have seen people (here on the forum) not clipping their hair and having a funny hairstyle with small hair in the recipient area and hair on the sides and back are relatively bigger. Is it not recommended to clip your hair immediately after the HT ? If not, how long do I need to wait before I can clip my hair?

I work in a business consulting firm and it would be really really weird to carry that 'funny' looking hairstyle.

Also I would like to see your comments on the number of grafts required by me to have a natural looking 'normal' hairline, please refer my pics here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=29703&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1337698047

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=29704&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1337698069

Hi New Guy,

Let me see what I can do to address some of your questions:

1. Are the stitches 'absorbable' ? If not, how long will need to wait to get them removed? (I will be visiting the doctor's clinic/city only to get my HT done and don't want to spend a long time there)

In most cases, it's likely that the external sutures will not be absorb-able. In fact, some physicians even use staples to close the outside of the follicular unit transplant (FUT) donor wound.

However, because post-operative appointments are almost always recommended, it shouldn't be too big of a concern. Furthermore, many individuals have their sutures removed by another health care provider after the wound heals, so, again, getting the sutures removed shouldn't be a hassle.

Additionally, sutures are usually left in anywhere from 10 days to 2-3 weeks, depending on the closure and your donor characteristics.

2. I have seen people (here on the forum) not clipping their hair and having a funny hairstyle with small hair in the recipient area and hair on the sides and back are relatively bigger. Is it not recommended to clip your hair immediately after the HT ? If not, how long do I need to wait before I can clip my hair?

By days 7 - 10, the grafts are fully anchored and regular grooming habits won't dislodge any grafts or cause permanent damage. However, at this point your scalp may still be sore, so it could be a little bit longer before you would want to crop your hair.

Additionally, you can always discuss post-operative appearance with your surgeon and try to come up with a plan that will allow you to return to work without too many questions in a timely manner.

Also I would like to see your comments on the number of grafts required by me to have a natural looking 'normal' hairline, please refer my pics here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=29703&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1337698047

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=29704&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1337698069

It's difficult to tell from the pictures alone. Are you currently utilizing any preventive medications? What level of restoration are you trying to achieve?

Providing a little more information will likely help the community better assess the situation.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Blake! That was really helpful.

Guess need to ask a few people about how long did it take them to get back to work after their HTs.

I am currently using 5% minoxidil for the last 3 weeks now. I used minoxidil and propecia for around 1.5 month and then stopped them (just got careless).

I am looking to have a lowered hairline along with restoring density in the crown area. My guess is I need 3000-3500 grafts to achieve that.

Honestly, based on your hairline, I don't think I would lower it much. It appears very appropriate. If I were you I would concentrate more on reinforcing it.

Remember that this is the hairline that you are going to have when you are 70 also.

It takes about 1000 grafts per cm to lower a hairline. If you drop your hairline 2 cm, you are looking at 2000 grafts for a dense pack. Just keep that in mind.

You seem to have fairly aggressive loss in the crown. How much are you trying to cover and what exactly are you goals? You can probably beef the crown up some, but I would not expect a full looking head of hair on 3500 grafts if you are including the crown.

Donor hair is limited, so decide what about your hair is important to you and work from there. Considering you are around 30 years old, and as advanced as you are, I would definitely recommend propecia and rogaine and an in-person consult with a top doc. Someone in your position has to be very careful of how and where they use their grafts, or they end up looking odd in later years.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

New Guy,

I'm inclined to agree with Spanker: I think reinforcing the hairline is an excellent idea, but I'm not certain if lowering the hairline an additional few centimeters would allow for a dense, aesthetically pleasing appearance. Additionally, 3,500 grafts would definitely allow for some increased density in the hairline and frontal scalp, but I'm not certain it would be significant enough to do the crown area as well.

However, the amount of extractable grafts, necessary number of procedures, etc, is all highly dependent on your physiology, and this is where a consultation with an excellent hair restoration surgeon comes into play.

Considering any physicians in particular?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you Spanker and Blake,

This is why this forum is an excellent place for everyone interested in all things 'hair' :)

When you guys say reinforcing the hairline, do you mean increasing the density of existing hairline?

The loss in crown is fairly recent and I am hoping I'd be able to maintain (if not regain) the existing hair there and beef up the density just a tad bit with HT. I am definitely looking to lower the hairline, guess that will all depend on the donor hair, physiology etc.

Yes, I am considering Dr Radha and am already in touch with her (with a few other too, but she has some excellent reports here), hopefully will have a in-person consult soon followed up with the HT.

Thanks again guys.

Dr. Radha is excellent. You've really landed on a great surgeon!

For me, "reinforcing the hairline" meant adding density to the existing hairline without altering it's position on the scalp (i.e. lowering). However, lowering the hairline is something you'll need to discuss with Dr. Radha. Remember that everything will depend upon the number of grafts available and what you'd like to do with them. If you want to fill in the crown, scalp, and hairline, then a greater area will have "hair," but the density will be less (compared to focusing on just the hairline and crown).

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Thank you Spanker and Blake,

This is why this forum is an excellent place for everyone interested in all things 'hair' :)

When you guys say reinforcing the hairline, do you mean increasing the density of existing hairline?

The loss in crown is fairly recent and I am hoping I'd be able to maintain (if not regain) the existing hair there and beef up the density just a tad bit with HT. I am definitely looking to lower the hairline, guess that will all depend on the donor hair, physiology etc.

Yes, I am considering Dr Radha and am already in touch with her (with a few other too, but she has some excellent reports here), hopefully will have a in-person consult soon followed up with the HT.

Thanks again guys.