Alcohol Consumption and Hair Loss

Ankur FAN1

Hey all,

I've been on propecia for 6 months now and continue to shed hairs like crazy. Unlike most people who seem to shed only for a week, my shedding has persisted for at least 6 months. My dermatologist said I had telogen effluvium, a condition where a high percentage of hairs are in the resting phase. This condition is often caused by emotional or physical stresses. I was wondering if excessive alcohol consumption could be the cause of this problem? If anyone has any info or opinions on this I'd really appreciate it. Watching my precious hairs literally go down the drain is causing me a lot of anxiety. Please help! Thanks!

Ankur

Hey all,

I've been on propecia for 6 months now and continue to shed hairs like crazy. Unlike most people who seem to shed only for a week, my shedding has persisted for at least 6 months. My dermatologist said I had telogen effluvium, a condition where a high percentage of hairs are in the resting phase. This condition is often caused by emotional or physical stresses. I was wondering if excessive alcohol consumption could be the cause of this problem? If anyone has any info or opinions on this I'd really appreciate it. Watching my precious hairs literally go down the drain is causing me a lot of anxiety. Please help! Thanks!

Ankur

Although alcohol thins the blood, I really doubt that this would be the cause. Though I'm sure it doesn't help. Did your Doc give you some kind of anti-depressant? Take that with alcohol, and you are the happiest MF'r ever.... Just kidding! icon_biggrin.gif

My dermatologist said I had _telogen effluvium_, a condition where a high percentage of hairs are in the resting phase. This condition is often caused by emotional or physical stresses. I was wondering if excessive alcohol consumption could be the cause of this problem? If anyone has any info or opinions on this I'd really appreciate it.

Ankur

Ankur...I'm theorizing that constantly puking your guts out after binging might cause a bit of stress....I suggest stop the alcohol, switch to Black Tar heroin, and you won't give a rusty butt about your hair loss....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

lol... Rugger did you apply for that "hair mentor" job? You would be great!!!

Yes apart from the stress factor maybe there's really no link between alcohol & hair loss. A lot of us have been wondering at some stage whether some of their habits (drinking, smoking, washing their hair too often, working in a greasy environment, eating junk food, etc) was contributing to their hair loss, but most likely it's not the case, & DHT production is the nr 1 culprit.

As for the effects of Finasteride, it varies tremendously from one guy to the next. Some experience shedding, some don't. Some have side effects, some don't. I've been on Proscar & MSM for over 2 months now & I really starting to see some difference with absolutely no side effect.

Maybe in your case Finasteride takes longer to "kick in", or maybe you would have shed even more, had you not taken it. I would continue for another 6 months and reassess. One thing's for sure: stopping Finasteride won't stop the shedding.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

"Guys, that was some fantastic advise!! Ankur, you now know what to do."... adamk969

Yes, pop your drug's Shoot Black Tar heroin, then DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!!

Hair lose will be the last on your mind...err... what's left!! GO CHEMISTRY!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...