Dr. Lindsey Stage 1 of a 3 stage major flap failure repair case, McLean VA

The techs and I are probably as enthused about this case as the patient is. Its important to realize this is part 2 of 3. Meaning I expect to get a pretty good scar where now there is a necrosed flap...and to get more hair on the back side on the right...but stage 3 next year will allow final improvement in the remaining scar on the front--either by camouflaging with singles/doubles and irregularizing the hairline, or scar revision; and adding hair in the back.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 4 weeks later...

This fellow is now a year out from 2600 grafts, of his relatively fine donor hair, and returns for step 2—to remove his failed flap procedure from the 1980’s. You may recall that because he had a large flap, which ultimately failed years ago, that his donor region is not terribly dense, and he has moderate quality hair. Step one was to do a hair transplant behind his flap. Step 2 will be to excise the flap and scar, and to place whatever hair we can get, at the back of his first transplant. Step 3, next year will be a second strip case to augment the frontal hairline, touch up any scar issues, and increase density.

He’s done quite well this year. These pictures were taken the day before starting step 2 which I’ll post separately in the next few days. He’s amenable to coming on and posting his story on occasion so I’d like his thoughts on this quite complex and challenging case.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

122.jpg.db3a3006184bb2eb8196c129f4954292.jpg

123.jpg.719c677871d6f9660fa236e0dba803c7.jpg

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey, thanks for keeping is updated on this challenging case. As far as flap procedures are concerned, I've seen worse results than this gentleman is experiencing. So far I'd say this guy is experiencing optimism about his hair for the first time in many years, and he certainly should be feeling that way, as his appearance is certainly improving, and will continue to.

However, I've not seen any pictures of the scarring that always accompanies (initially) removing the flap, and wonder if he is able to conceal the scar(s) with native hair, and if he has any plans to address these in the future.

Judging from his pictures thus far, I'd say his chances are excellent of a completely normal appearance and look forward to further pictures on this most interesting repair case.

Thanks

Its not a perfect result, given the limitations in his donor hair quality and quantity. But I agree that once stage 2's scar starts to fade, he'll have had a huge change, and after stage 3 it should be a really nice ending to a long journey.

Dr Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA