Badly confused, need some strong advice on my treatment

Raj05

Hello,

I am 26 yrs old indian male, new to this forum and a long time sufferer of hair loss(5+ years). I have had a receding hair line all these years but it's only in these last 2 years that I have noticed my crown has few miniturized hair and some beautiful bald spots. I visted two dermatologist and in that one of them told me I was NW 4 scale patient. I have 3 questions to ask. Hope to get the answers

Question 1: I visted two different doctors and they gave me two different prescription(mentioned below) so I am not sure which one to follow?Also what is the difference between Propecia and Finpecia?

Doctor 1: Prohair(Propecia), Tugain 5% foam (Minoxidl), Shampoo- Trigaine shampoo

Doctor 2: Finpecia, Tugain 5 % foam(Minoxidl), Shampoo- Anaphase

Question 2: I am still confused to take propecia or not? Is it worth the risk with all the negtaive opinions going around. I am hopelessly confused. Need some strong advice here. Dont know why but my mind is clouded with so many negative opinions about the pill that I am finding it difficult to convince my mind.

Question 3: Given a choice, I don't want to apply minoxidl since I would have to use it for life long. So if I take only propecia- do i need to take it life long or only couple of years and what sort of results can I get/expect with propecia?

Lot of members might have had these questions in their mind when they started out with these drugs. Hope I find my answers from the experienced folks out here.

Apologies if some of these questions have been already answered before, I am new to the forum and its a bit overwhelming to read all these post about cause of hairfall/treatment/HT/patient websites, experiences etc. Need time to read and absorb the information on this wonderful site.

Edited by Raj05

Raj, here's my personal take on it, and some might disagree. DO NOT take propecia in my opinion. I know people that have taken it and really regret it all the sexual side effects. In my opinion, its not worth it.

On the other hand, stop being lazy about Rogaine! I was just like you, didn't want to commit myself to doing it twice a day, and I regret it. I use it now every morning and every night, takes less than 2 minutes. And the funny part is after it dries, it actually hardens/thickens the hair about 30 minutes later, making it look better and easier to style.

One last thing about propecia, i have seen it to amazing results to some. I mean, for some, it really thickened their hair beyond belief. But as i said before it is NOT worth the sexual side effects, even though some people dont get it.

Also what is the difference between Propecia and Finpecia?

Propecia and Finpecia are both finasteride. However, my family doctor (who prescribes Propecia for me) told me that the delivery method of a drug can affect how well it works. Propecia (Merck) has a specific shell which holds the finasteride. He said if I were to divide Proscar into fourths or use a generic form of Propecia (like Finpecia) to save money, I may find that they are not as effective as Merck's Propecia has been for me.

I stress the word "may" here. Everyone responds to meds and their respective delivery methods differently. Personally, I didn't want to take the chance even though my wallet was begging me to do so. Bottom line, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Now, if you've never taken finasteride before, then I don't see any problem starting with a generic to see how that works for you.

I am still confused to take propecia or not? Is it worth the risk with all the negative opinions going around. I am hopelessly confused. Need some strong advice here. Don't know why but my mind is clouded with so many negative opinions about the pill that I am finding it difficult to convince my mind.

No one can answer this question for you. You have to decide if your hair loss bothers you enough to take the risk.

You'll be comforted to know that the majority of men taking finasteride do not experience severe or permanent problems. Some of the more commonly reported side effects are decreased or "watery" ejaculate, decreased libido and erection problems. Minor side effects usually resolve themselves while continuing the meds. All sides usually resolve completely for men who discontinue the drug.

There does appear to be a smaller group of users who are developing side effects that do not resolve after discontinuation. Unfortunately, you cannot know whether you'll fall into that category until after you've started the finasteride. So, again, it's a risk.

I've taken propecia daily for 13+ years. You may be interested to read about the results of a series of medical tests I had done recently to see if propecia has been affecting me on levels not easily observed: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/163746-those-considering-starting-finasteride-therapy.html Your results may vary.

Given a choice, I don't want to apply minoxidl since I would have to use it for life long. So if I take only propecia- do i need to take it life long or only couple of years and what sort of results can I get/expect with propecia?

I have little-to-no experience with minoxidil. Regarding propecia, it is a life-long commitment or at least for as long as the drug keeps working for you. Finasteride is most effective at the crown and mid-scalp; less so at the hairline/temple areas. In my experience, it has been more about preservation as opposed to a reversal.

Good luck,

Z

Ignore what the second poster said, the first thing to do is to take Propecia/Finpecia (Same thing). Finasteride, the active ingredient, is proven to be safe in men, and only a small no. of people experience side effects. If you don't take it, you will continue to lose hair. It's sad when these posters discourage young men who could really be helped by this treatment.

I'm also a 25 yr old Indian guy, and I'm on fin. It's not too well known in India I think and sadly many men miss out. If you are losing hair due to male pattern baldness, you need to get on propecia/finpecia as soon as possible. Keep in mind the medication is there to help you keep your hair and slow down loss, not grow it back, although that can be a bonus.

Propecia and Finpecia are both finasteride. However, my family doctor (who prescribes Propecia for me) told me that the delivery method of a drug can affect how well it works. Propecia (Merck) has a specific shell which holds the finasteride. He said if I were to divide Proscar into fourths or use a generic form of Propecia (like Finpecia) to save money, I may find that they are not as effective as Merck's Propecia has been for me.

I stress the word "may" here. Everyone responds to meds and their respective delivery methods differently. Personally, I didn't want to take the chance even though my wallet was begging me to do so. Bottom line, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Now, if you've never taken finasteride before, then I don't see any problem starting with a generic to see how that works for you.

No one can answer this question for you. You have to decide if your hair loss bothers you enough to take the risk.

You'll be comforted to know that the majority of men taking finasteride do not experience severe or permanent problems. Some of the more commonly reported side effects are decreased or "watery" ejaculate, decreased libido and erection problems. Minor side effects usually resolve themselves while continuing the meds. All sides usually resolve completely for men who discontinue the drug.

There does appear to be a smaller group of users who are developing side effects that do not resolve after discontinuation. Unfortunately, you cannot know whether you'll fall into that category until after you've started the finasteride. So, again, it's a risk.

I've taken propecia daily for 13+ years. You may be interested to read about the results of a series of medical tests I had done recently to see if propecia has been affecting me on levels not easily observed: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/163746-those-considering-starting-finasteride-therapy.html Your results may vary.

I have little-to-no experience with minoxidil. Regarding propecia, it is a life-long commitment or at least for as long as the drug keeps working for you. Finasteride is most effective at the crown and mid-scalp; less so at the hairline/temple areas. In my experience, it has been more about preservation as opposed to a reversal.

Good luck,

Z

A big thank you for your reply and the weblink.

If you haven't tried propecia then you have no idea if you are gonna react to the sides...the sides are blown WAY out of proportion....there are millions using the drug who have very successful stories with no sides!!! At least try that way you will know for yourself!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website