Is Ketoconazole the same as Nizoral? Help!

I got this stuff from ebay a few weeks b ack, been using it two times a week, its from Thailand...

2 bottles of the 2% stuff, but upon revisting the site i see that it says:SAME AS NIZORAL

Has anybody any experience with this stuff? is it the same?

Where should I be getting my Nizoral from at the cheapest price? is ebay and asian suppliers ok?

Thanks

2l9prug.jpg

Ketoconazole (an antifungal with some anti-inflammatory properties) is the key/active ingredient in Nizoral. Make sure the percentage of ketoconazole is the same, and the treatment should be identical!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Its same, Ketaconazole is the active ingredient in Nizoral shampoo. If you want something effective for hair loss then go for 2% because the 1% is useless and only for dandruff. Use the Nizoral 2% once to twice weekly if you want to get good results but not more than that because it can dry out your hair especially transplanted hair because they are dryer in nature than other native follicles and thats becasue of the lack of sebum i was told.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

• 6 months later...
Used Nizoral 1% for the first time, seen a more hair loss than it happens daily....is it a reaction or it is natural for the first time please help me, whether to continue using or to stop

thankyou

If anything, I'd say that's a good sign. You'll go through weeks, maybe even months of shedding before you start to see results, but I would 100% recommend ketoconazol shampoo to anybody who is fighting hairloss. I personally use the 2% formula once ever 3 days, and i'll leave it on for at least 10 minutes, massaged strongly into my scalp.

• 2 months later...
but how far can we wait ...as almost my scalp is getting visible as day passing by , moreover we cant regrow hair with ketoconazol after months of loosing hair, so is there any other like nizoral??

Ketoconazol will slow down hairloss in terms of Male Pattern Baldness, but I doubt it will re-grow hair. My hairline is still receding and I'm now definitively a Norwood 2. I'm hoping it's just a mature hairline but I doubt it will stop receding.

I use the shampoos regenpure, and more recently lipogaine big3. Both contain ketoconazol which can slow down hairloss, and both thicken your hair, but does not regrow it from my experience.

I've been using regenpure for 2 years, but I may switch to lipogaine big3 because it foams better than regenpure. Regenpure contains aloe instead of sodium laureth sulfate (by the way SLF can cause hair breakage, not necessarily hair loss). IF you're worried about Sodium Laureth Sulfate, then just use regenpure. Aloe soothes scalp irriatation.

Sodium laureth sulfate, however, gives out more foam which means it's easier to apply the shampoo for better coverage. Plus Lipogaine big3 makes my hair feel fuller in terms of aesthetics... (It's not the Lipogaine with Minox/Azaelic Acid)

I would get on any of those two shampoos in the meantime.

Edited by Dedalus
adding info

have you used Lipogaine Minoxidil ? I am thinking of switching from jus the Rogaine foam.

I haven't used any form of Minoxidil....yet. I'm trying to hold off on drugs as am I still a Norwood II and the ketaconazle shampoos seem to be at least slowing down the receding...

I get my info from a a channel on youtube called Hairlossfromsteroids. The guys seems like an honest dude in terms of what has and has not worked for his hair.

He does reviews of the shampoos that have worked for him, and seems to have done his research about minoxidil, propecia, etc.

As for me, I may wait till my 30's for minoxidil...or finasteride....or a hair transplant if it comes to that.

I would go for Lipogaine Minoxidil because it has the other dht inhibitors.

Dudalus, be careful on how you much you use Nizoral. If used to much it can cause shed. A majority of posts have indicated 1 times per week, 2 max. Secondly, if you are receding your other hairs are probably miniaturizing some. The hairs become weaker and a lot less dense. I had a mop of hair into my mid thirties except my receding temporals i.e. probably a Norwood 2-3. My early early 40's is when I first noticed any thinning up top. I first started with Propecia and that helped a lot, I mean a lot. I then was told to use Rogains and that really helped out the density of my hair. The key, and why I would recommend them both, is to be proactive in your hairloss and combat it as soon as you notice. It will help keep existing hairs and make them more dense. Now I am looking for a shampoo that will helpnot grow, my density and strength of my existing hair and to help maintain.

Dudalus, be careful on how you much you use Nizoral. If used to much it can cause shed. A majority of posts have indicated 1 times per week, 2 max. Secondly, if you are receding your other hairs are probably miniaturizing some. The hairs become weaker and a lot less dense. I had a mop of hair into my mid thirties except my receding temporals i.e. probably a Norwood 2-3. My early early 40's is when I first noticed any thinning up top. I first started with Propecia and that helped a lot, I mean a lot. I then was told to use Rogains and that really helped out the density of my hair. The key, and why I would recommend them both, is to be proactive in your hairloss and combat it as soon as you notice. It will help keep existing hairs and make them more dense. Now I am looking for a shampoo that will helpnot grow, my density and strength of my existing hair and to help maintain.

I don't use Nizoral. I'm just finishing up a bottle of Regenpure (which I have been on for 2 years) and starting up on Lipogaine Big 3 shampoo. I shed more without the ketaconazole, so I prefer to use the shampoos once a day.

There is some miniaturizing going on behind the hairline and I do have the receding temples.

I'm glad Propecia has helped you out. I'm a little scared in terms of taking Propecia. I'm only 28, and it's the sexual side effects from that drug that scare me. I have a high libido, and a fiancee, and we do want kids in the near future. Perhaps I'll start right after, but I'm afraid, again, of the side effects. I fine with minoxidol, but I know it doesn't inhibit DHT and propecia does.

Have you experienced any side effects from Propecia? I read that you may even need to take propecia after a hair transplant to keep the hairs behind the newly transplanted hairs from falling out.

Edited by Dedalus
spellling

I have not experienced any side effects. I would go to a physician first and make sure there aren't any potential health concerns with any other drugs, allergies, etc you may have. If not I would highly consider trying it. I don't think it has helped me or many others in the frontal area so I wouldn't expect any improvement there. Propecia mainly helps around the the crown area. Some guys just keep receding back and their crowns remain strong. Others like me recede first and start to thin at the crown. If you choose to try it and you have side effects, you can always quit using it. The point is be proactive. If you are doing all you can then let it be, but if you are stressing over losing hair and wondering if something might work, like Propecia, and your not doing it, it can be even more stressful. This is just my opinion, hopefully it helps you.

I have not experienced any side effects. I would go to a physician first and make sure there aren't any potential health concerns with any other drugs, allergies, etc you may have. If not I would highly consider trying it. I don't think it has helped me or many others in the frontal area so I wouldn't expect any improvement there. Propecia mainly helps around the the crown area. Some guys just keep receding back and their crowns remain strong. Others like me recede first and start to thin at the crown. If you choose to try it and you have side effects, you can always quit using it. The point is be proactive. If you are doing all you can then let it be, but if you are stressing over losing hair and wondering if something might work, like Propecia, and your not doing it, it can be even more stressful. This is just my opinion, hopefully it helps you.

Thanks for this helpful feedback. I know the more I wait, the more it may progress. However, I am in graduate school for one more year, and I'm barely making ends meet. Once I get a good paying job I can probably add propecia or finasteride in my budget.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Australia and although the Nizoral brand shampoo is available here, there is a much cheaper alternative shampoo called Sebizole, which contains exactly the same active ingredient (ketaconazole 2%).

Ketoconazole is the active ingredient of Nizoral. However I trust Nizoral more because they add some ingredients that do not dry out the hair like other cheap ketaconazole shampoo brands. Also I wouldnt use a mix of stuff like Regenpure as I believe it will lower the efficacy of Ketaconazole. If you are considering it for hair loss then use the 2% version. Also you should be aware to use it more than twice a week as it could harm your hair and toxin your body. This is my personal opinion.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]