FUT or FUE cost? Go Overseas?

I have been thinking about HT for a couple of years and may go ahead and do it this summer or early next fall. There is a place in St. Louis that does Neograft for $5.50 per follicle. At least that's what the website says. It's called Neograft St. Louis. If anyone has any reviews please post! The problem is that I can't find any reviews on it. The doctor is not listed at this website or any other similar forum. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want to make sure that I get a good surgeon, specifically someone with a good rep on this site.

I am undecided as to whether or not I want to go with FUT or FUE. I keep my hair short on the sides, shaved with a 2 or 3. Would this cover the average strip scar? I figured I would ask what the best option for me would be when I get my consultation done anyway though. I am 29 btw.

The costs factor is my main concern. It leaves me with a couple of options - I have looked into Shapiro in MN and recently Dr. Charles in FL. I've heard conflicting prices for Dr. Charles. Shapiro seems to be 5.50 FUT and 7.00 FUE per his website if I remember correctly.

I could also go overseas to India or Pakistan. Has anyone from the US done this? If so, what were your travel costs? How long did you stay?

thanks for any help

If you like to keep your hair short on the sides then FUE might be the way to go but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing pictures from you. If you call around to some of the top docs recommended here you might be able to find one who will go as low as $6 for FUE. You might need to be a bit flexible on the dates as they may only go that low if you can fill a time slot that come up. I wouldn't bother going overseas if you're here in the US already.

Ginandt, I am the same age as you and I got FUE. It all depends on your level of hairloss on the norwood scale and how many grafts you will need. It also depends on the donor density you have. After that, then you can decide if you are a candidate for FUE or FUT. Depending on your own physiology, most have a lower chance to be able to get away with a 2 clip but might be able to get away with a 3 clip and only if your FUT is done correctly. With FUE, most likely you don't have to worry about buzzing down but would need to think about the punch size used (the bigger the punch size, the greater the risk you are for a moth eaten donor area look when you do a really skin tight close buzz of the area).

I don't feel comfortable with the neograft method though because air pressure is used and imo I think it may affect yield.

I wouldn't step foot in a place I can't find decent reviews of or adequate photos to back up their work.

I think both Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Charles do great work. I have seen their results here. Did you consult with them yet?

There are some patients that have gone to those other countries for transplant procedures on this forum. You should search them using the search feature on this forum.

Ginandt, I am the same age as you and I got FUE. It all depends on your level of hairloss on the norwood scale and how many grafts you will need. It also depends on the donor density you have. After that, then you can decide if you are a candidate for FUE or FUT. Depending on your own physiology, most have a lower chance to be able to get away with a 2 clip but might be able to get away with a 3 clip and only if your FUT is done correctly. With FUE, most likely you don't have to worry about buzzing down but would need to think about the punch size used (the bigger the punch size, the greater the risk you are for a moth eaten donor area look when you do a really skin tight close buzz of the area).

I don't feel comfortable with the neograft method though because air pressure is used and imo I think it may affect yield.

I wouldn't step foot in a place I can't find decent reviews of or adequate photos to back up their work.

I think both Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Charles do great work. I have seen their results here. Did you consult with them yet?

There are some patients that have gone to those other countries for transplant procedures on this forum. You should search them using the search feature on this forum.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not really sure how many graft I would need. I've looked at tons of pictures and would guess anywhere from 1500 to 2000. That's just based on looking at others' pics and results though. I know I need the consultation to get a better idea. I'm not sure on what my donor density is. It seems thick to me, but I've never really ran my fingers through the back of another guy's head so I have no comparison lol.

I am mostly looking for info on prices though. Overseas it's only 1-2$ per graft in India and Pakistan. I just don't know what the travel costs would be.

And yes, I've seen lots of Shapiro and Charles' results and they look great and have great reps. They also seem to be the lowest priced from what I've seen.

Thanks for the info on the Neograph stuff. I haven't been able to find many reviews on it, and haven't found any mention of the specific doctor. They had a few before and after pics that look good, but I'd feel better being able to read lots of reviews like on here.

If anyone else can add anything, please post!

ginandt, please go to this thread regarding international cost structure

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/165235-who-best-fue-doctors-3.html

look at post number 28, I actually tried to break down on what costs you should look into but it does depend on where you are flying out from. Hope it helps.

Just read it. Good stuff, just what I was looking for as for as travel costs goes. Thanks man!

I have been thinking about HT for a couple of years and may go ahead and do it this summer or early next fall. There is a place in St. Louis that does Neograft for $5.50 per follicle. At least that's what the website says. It's called Neograft St. Louis. If anyone has any reviews please post! The problem is that I can't find any reviews on it. The doctor is not listed at this website or any other similar forum. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want to make sure that I get a good surgeon, specifically someone with a good rep on this site.

I am undecided as to whether or not I want to go with FUT or FUE. I keep my hair short on the sides, shaved with a 2 or 3. Would this cover the average strip scar? I figured I would ask what the best option for me would be when I get my consultation done anyway though. I am 29 btw.

The costs factor is my main concern. It leaves me with a couple of options - I have looked into Shapiro in MN and recently Dr. Charles in FL. I've heard conflicting prices for Dr. Charles. Shapiro seems to be 5.50 FUT and 7.00 FUE per his website if I remember correctly.

I could also go overseas to India or Pakistan. Has anyone from the US done this? If so, what were your travel costs? How long did you stay?

thanks for any help

Hey Mate!

I have to tell you with the price ranges your quoting there is not need to endure the expensive travel when competitive rates are available here in the USA. Let me be bias and even say that wonderful surgeons are all over the country but there is no doubt do to the demand of the clientele that Beverly Hills hair transplant surgeons must be at the top of their game. Our office consistently has referrals from well known people whose on screen or on stage persona is high profile. Unlike what people expect the rates out here are affordable. I am concerned about your interest in the Neograft, not saying anything negative but I simply think enough research is not out there yet as to the level of results. Check the doctor I work with or others out here, we can even handle and online live video consult with the doctor personally if you like. Just give a call. Most of all I really wish you the best on your hair restoration journey.

Edited by michaeljames
grammar

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

thanks for any help

You'd be in good hands with either Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Charles. I've never heard of the other doctor you are mentioning. I'd go with one who has a good history and can be easily located online.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts