Topicals- ingredients and the FDA

Jacob

I thought maybe someone here would know- does a company have to list ALL the ingredients they put into a product? Is there a problem with a company saying via email or even in a forum like this- that there are extra goodies in the product, but I/we can't say what they are...?

Maybe someone has a link to a FDA page that lays out the rules.

Thanks

If it's a medication/medicinal therapy, my best assumption is that they need to include everything in the product. However, in most cases, the drug usually contains one active ingredient (e.g. finasteride in Propecia) and the other contents are common "fillers" used to help with absorption, manufacture the pills, etc.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the response.

Well..this actually has to do with Proxiphen and Proxiphen-N, and maybe even NANO. I'm sure you're aware of these products, that have been around for decades. The Dr. behind the product himself has talked about ingredients that he won't divulge that are supposed to make the product(s) even better. "Mysterious ingredients" are the words thrown around since at least the late 90's.

They are supposed to list every ingredient. Active ingredients are listed first, then other ingredients are list in order according to the amount in it.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 3 weeks later...

So how does he get away with it?

There are plenty of other issues regarding this Dr and his products. Here's an ad in Texas Monthly(back in '87..that's how long his stuff has been around) in which he says there's a "comprehensive three year clinical study". Texas Monthly - Google Books

That study never happened.