How important is the Coalition for Ultra Refined Transplantation?

olmert,

You can learn about our criteria for recommending physicians here.

In addition to meeting recommendation standards, Coalition physicians must meet the following additional criteria.

• A demonstrated capability to successfully perform large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit grafting using tiny incisions and grafts that are microscopically prepared.
  • The ability to dense pack tiny follicular unit grafts in a given area when appropriate.

For more on Coalition standards, click here.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

^^^ I can't really make much sense out the criteria for the coalition.

Say a doctor is recommended here, but not part of the coalition. Does that mean such a doctor probably will make larger incisions with more scarring, with a more plug-like look for the transplanted hair, and less densely packed transplanted hair?

Is this term "Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation," a well known term, such at FUE or FUT? I have tried to get a better understanding what it means, but to no avail. Google searches don't yield anything.

I am very confused.

olmert,

Physician members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians have demonstrated a proven ability that they can perform dense packing and large sessions of ultra refined follicular unit hair transplantation exceeding 2500 grafts when appropriate for the patient. The phrase "ultra refined" simply means that a physician/clinic is making tinier incision, cutting smaller, refined follicular units and reducing the amount of overall trauma to the scalp while maximizing growth yield, density and fullness.

Some physicians recommended on the Hair Transplant Network have also demonstrated their ability to do dense packing and ultra refined hair transplants but have not yet been considered for Coalition membership. But even physicians recommended by this community who typically do smaller sessions and use "chubbier grafts" (keeping more surrounding tissue attached to the follicular unit) have demonstrated a proven ability of producing high quality natural looking hair transplant results.

I recommend reading our physicians standards page and how we recommend hair transplant physicians for more information.

While all of the physicians recommended by our community and members of the Coalition are producing excellent results, each have their own unique technique and philsophy on how to achieve the best results. Thus, we recommend you research, view patients results for and consult with all physicians you are considering to help narrow down your selection criteria.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I'm not sure what you "Googled", but if you Google "ultra refined hair transplantatation" you get a bucket load of results. I've attached a screenshot for your reference.

ultra_refined_hair_transplants_google_search.jpg

Let the buyer beware. I had a terrible experience with a highly recommended coalition doctor that was on this site. Fortunately another coalition doctor (Ron Shapiro) followed my situation and offered two free sessions to try to repair and recover from the first two bad procedures. Dr. Shapiro’s work is doing much better especially considering the limited grafts he had to work with since many were lost in the first two surgeries. The doctor who performed my first surgeries soon had his membership on this site revoked. The final results from my last procedure with Dr. Shapiro should be in September. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to be enough to look acceptable. If not I’m considering the scalp tattooing. I’m hearing mixed reviews on it. I’ve seen guys who have done it and it looks good but I’m more concerned about what it will look like in ten years since there really isn’t any data on anyone who has had it more than a couple of years.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

You should always do your due diligence when choosing a physician. For example, having a board certification does not mean the doctor is great and has good bedside manner. There are some excellent physicians who do not have their board certification.