Can i eat spicy food?

Hey mate;

Your question reminds me of a story. I broke my arm in too places one summer. Some serious casting had to be done. So, I asked the doctor if I would be able to play the piano when the cast was taken off. He said, "Sure that should be no issue at all." I was so very excited to hear the news. So the doc says, " Wow, I guess you really are into your piano playing?"

I said, "No, but based on your diagnosis I'm going to start in six weeks."

Okay, so a little tongue and cheek. I am guessing your concern might be that the spicy food may increase sweating in the scalp and therefore do what? I do know from personal experience that one of the consequence of eating spicy foods is sweating on the scalp, which can make your scalp itch. It also makes my nose run and sometimes my eyes water depending on the heat level. This may be due to a histamine reaction from the capsaicin, the chemical which makes it spicy. So you would not want to add to any post op discomfort. But if spicy food has not bothered you before...enjoy!

All the Best, Michael James

Edited by michaeljames
ending lost on cut and paste.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic.

I personally have more "oozy" middle eastern and indian patients, than we do people from europe or the americas. And I'm convinced that it is some blood thinning spices that are used in cooking.

So I tell everyone with an ethnic background from that part of the world to eat a "US" diet for 10 days preop. That means no spices, no "mom's home cooking", no preop dinner from your wife or girlfriend.... and it does make a difference. 3000 slits that are dry are easy to fill with hair. 3000 oozy slits is a headache...literally for my placers.

Now after the surgery is over, I tell people to eat anything they want.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have read and understood that spicy foods, MSG, etc. all contribute to thinner blood. What Dr. Lindsey says is true.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

But the biggest offender in my hair or face patients is GREEN TEA. Its much worse than aspirin in my opionion. It kills me when a patient "recalls" drinking a little green tea daily before a case, already underway.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

But the biggest offender in my hair or face patients is GREEN TEA. Its much worse than aspirin in my opionion. It kills me when a patient "recalls" drinking a little green tea daily before a case, already underway.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Now that is revealing. I drink copius amounts of green tea daily and am currently considering HT in a month's time. I will need to abstain from it until after HT.

I juice raw carrots, celery, apples and berries (sometimes Pomengranates). Is this o'kay, Dr Lindsey?