Micropigmentation/Tattoo and Rogaine

I think we are neglecting one really important fact--the place in which all of the negative feedback and horror stories is coming from- HAIR TRANSPLANT DOCTORS!!! LOL. Of course these HT docs and clinics are going to speak out against SMP, if smp actually works these ht places stand to lose ALOT of $$$$. They do not want anyone going that route. I think the mere fact that DR. Rassman's NHI HT clinic ( which apparently is a very well respected clinic in the HT world) is now offering SMP shows that he realizes that hair loss solutions are evolving and that smp actually can do the job as far as adding the appearance of density. It looks like Rassman got on board before he gets left behind. Listen guys, If I had been a candidate for FUE, I wouldve done it years ago, but honestly when I see videos and HONEST pics of before and after, the weak results do not seem worth having holes in the back of your head, or in Strip surgery's case, a big strip scar. In my opinion, the permenant non-reversable effects of a HT are far greater than the risks of SMP. Because SMP is in the early stages, these HT docs have plenty of amunition to unload all of their-"just wait ten years and your head will be one big blue mess" and " you will be so sorry in about 15 years b/c you will not be able to do anything to fix this." My guess is in about 10-15 years if the general consensus is that smp does in fact work with no "blue/green dots or bleeding", these same exact HT docs that bashed smp will be offering it as a hybrid method along with their FUEs and other HT options. Also, the fact that a couple of the major SMP companies are going to the media and advertising their method on big stages such as Good Morning America shows that they are really confident in their method (and of course they wana make money), but who is going to go on national tv and advertise something that will enventually be a crock of SH**? It would make them look like an ass in their community when it didnt pan out, and who is going to put themselves in that predicament? I just refuse to sit by idly and not take an action that could potentially help me feel better about myself and let me get on with my life. Risky?- it is more risky for me to do nothing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jholcollege11, I'd thought about the fact much of the bad press was coming from hair transplant doctors and is it because this may take away from their business. I suppose there could be some truth to that. I'm sure it is a fine line they are walking because in some cases they have patients who have had hair transplants and have no donor hair left but still don't have cosmetically aceptable density. This is a case where SMP may be a benefit. I know Dr. Shapiro is taking a wait and see attitude but he has sent a few of his patients to GLI I beleive. Dr. Rassman is a HT doctor but he offers SMP. I believe that a hair transplant and SMP can work beautifully together. In my opinion I beleive SMP will look more realistic with the texture of hair vs. a slick bald head. I wouldn't base the credibility of SMP on the fact it is going to be on Good Morning America. I've seen many products featured on national news stories that turned out to be bogus. Until we can get a hold of photos of these people who had the SMP done back in the 90's we will never be able to decide if this is worth the gamble.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Ttds- yea u are right, there have been a lot of Hoaxes and gimmicks on national marketing campaigns. Any way u slice it, this is a tough decision. Any treatment that has not yet passed the test of time is a gamble, but I'm willing to take the risk at this point. I guess my point is that these same ht docs that preach smp gloom and doom, have risks involved in their own procedures that to me, outweigh risks of smp. How many people do u know who have had ht's that are fully satisfied and all their hair loss problems now distant memory. This forum would be empty.

One last thing then I'll shut up- I think the biggest reason that alot of people are 100% against SMP is due to EXPECTATIONS. There are alot of us out there who are very hopeful that Histogen or Replicel will give us back our hair we had in our teens, and as we wait for this like the second coming, we have visions of having the hair we had in our teens- we could style it with gel, cut it, grow it out- whatever we choose- complete freedom. So we wait.... then smp emerges on the scene several years back and falls way short of our Expectations. Not only that, but it basically forces us to either shave our heads or keep it no longer than a 3 guard, and for some this is far worse than having longer obvious balding hair cuts. So disapointment creeps in and turns to anger,and many speak out against it. Is the anger due to the fact that the critics don't think they can pull of the "buzzed" look, or simply don't want to commit to it for life? - Probably so, but I think we must all keep in mind that there are alot of critics out there who really don't want smp to do well, simply b/c they are angry that this solution is not for them bc they dont like the cropped look. They may even believe that SMP hinders or slows the process of a biotech solution- I read on one post a guy said "SMP is huge steps backwards in finding hair loss solutions." Main point- these people are speaking out against something that could help others achieve a look they like, simply b/c they have different expectations of what a solution should be. My EXPECTATIONS- I shave my head with a one guard and am happy except for my bald/fleshy spots, so I would like something that will fill in these spots and give me consistent/clean coverage. That's it. I dont want beautiful, flowing locks or hair I can style with gel anymore b/c I have accepted the fact that this is not possible, and refuse to wait 20 or more years for this possibility while life passes me by. Acceptance can help in life. Scar 5- you made an earlier statement that the honest smp companies say it is not for everyone in response to their tats turning blue/green. I disagree with you. I think when they say it is not for everyone, I believe they mean that if you are a person who does not like the way you look with shaved or buzzed hair styles, and are not willing to maintain this for life, this is not your solution. I am still quite skeptical of this SMP myself, but I do question others skepticism b/c they seem to be motivated by other things- and I dont question anyone on this thread, please understand that. You guys have been really helpful in your ideas and perspectives- Im referring to the skeptics ive encountered on other forums who have said things like " you are an idiot if you have this done" and "only a fool tattoos their head."

Even if a new baldness "cure" is around the corner, people may be very disappointed if they wait years for it and it doesn't turn out to be the "cure" as advertised. Remember years ago that is what was being said about Minoxidil and Propecia? Not only did they NOT cure baldness but Propecia had terrible side effects in some men. I agree with you Jholcollege11. I'd just be cautious about what could happen down the road with SMP. I think we know what it will look like after you leave the office, in most cases if you went to a reputable company you should look fine. However, the years down the road is the big question mark. I agree, I've accepted the fact I'll never have long flowing locks again and I'm okay with thinner cropped hair. I just don't want to look like I'm wearing an ink helmet in 15 years. Why don't we all put our collective efforts together and try to find the people who had this done in the 90's?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS- yea man I agree with you 150% that we should be able to find at least one person from the 90s who had this done who is willing to show his bad or good results. Also, even with my pro-smp sermons, I still have fearof that helmet look down the road. Hopefully there is some evidence out there that shows smp to be either legit, or bullsh**.

TTDS,

GLI said they will match your hair color, that being, as I recall, fairish?

Well, that's a surprise to me. I may have forgotten something really important here, something that should chill my spine a tad, but I thought, assumed, read or thought I read that colors, tones etc. are somethimg these pigment companies have no business with. I thought the official reason was that when the hair is shaved, like the whiskers on our chin, the color that exudes from under the skin is more or less uniform across individuals- (BS?) and in this basis, various grades of black are chosen, from dark to light. I know the concept of black shades sounds kinda wierd, but I assume it is just h

Damn IPhone !

Cut my message in half!

I'll finish a reply when I'm in front of a real computer, but basically, it's black I assumed, because, it will fade to grey with ur hair, hair under the skin looks that way, colors fade unevenly so blue remains longest.

That is my understanding and if I'm wrong, I may have screwed up big

Scar 5- you made an earlier statement that the honest smp companies say it is not for everyone in response to their tats turning blue/green. I disagree with you. "

Let me clarify my thing with the BLUE aspect of it.

The Blue hue I am talking about is not about black or brown slowly fading into blue, although that does obviously happen, especially with poor inks. I think the companies like GLI and AC etc., have got that part of it sorted. They don't use cheap inks - I'm guessing. Simply too much to loose.

No, I am talking about the ink looking slightly blueish/grey, straight out of the bottle on your scalp, only under certain lighting conditions. I don' think there is any escape from this if they use a kind of 'black'. The reason one company might be better or worse might b simply because they use more or less ink.

I think HIS is best here merely because their ink is so light. Rassman says straight up, "it will be blueish". They explain why. I just don't see it as credible that a doctor with his profile in the hair community - not saying he is one of the best or anything, but he is well known - wouldn't know about it, if there were inks that didn't leave a blue hue.

I have committed to doing SMP and if it looks super blue I hope like hell it fades soon.

I think the color of your skin also counts. I am white and pink, and blue grey doesn't look too good. But if I were darker, olive or black I don't see it as so much of a problem.

With my fair complexion and dark hair, my beard stubble actually has a bluish tint to it in certain lighting, and thats my actual hair.

If you guys check out this link Hair Loss Help Forums - Scar Camouflage Tattoo (The truth) it says some pretty revealing stuff about AC, and if you go to page 15 of that forum it sounds like ac has had some dissatisfied customers. Make sure you see page 13 on that link- a guy posted before and after pics of his HIS experience, and it looks really good to me. check it out

Exactly jhol,

You get it about the color of your whiskers. Picture that over your whole head and that is what you get. (IMO)

I read that stuff on HLH too. No real surprise. You know, I can't help wondering how much of ACs blundering PR efforts have hurt them at the expense of revealing what the merits or otherwise of their actual process might be. Know one will know, because we just steer clear. Anyway, failing to read the market - ala, just how easily hair nerds will notice their slips - has definitely helped GLI and HIS. Which seems kind of weird.

I'll sign off for a while about this. I will get the thing, assess how it looks and take it from there. If it looks bad, needs more work/help and support from the clinic that did it, it is highly unlikely I will post pictures or reveal them for the obvious reasons. I wanna get fixed and I won't bite the hand.

Good luck to all of us in this damn boat, whether we need to be or think we need to be.

I found a couple of email addresses for Dr. Traquina. I sent the email below to him this morning. If I don't receive a reply I have a couple of physical addresses I can send it to as well and a fax number.

Hello Dr. Traquina,

I am not sure what a valid address is for you so I’m sending this to several I was able to locate in hopes you will receive one of them. I am writing you on behalf of several individuals who are members of the “Hair Transplant Network”. We have been posting on the forum about the subject of Scalp Micropigmentation. We are all considering having it done but have been able to find very little information on the subject. We are unable to find any doctor or company that has been doing it for more than a few years. Then one of the members stumbled across the paper you wrote entitled “Micropigmentation as an Adjuvant in Cosmetic Surgery”. This was like a gold mine for us because you wrote about individuals who had this procedure done back in the 1990’s. What we are all looking for is an example of people who had this done more than a couple of years ago so we can view the results. The overwhelming fear among people considering this procedure is with time the ink blurs/fades, bleeds and turns a different color. Another question people have is if the procedure needs to be reversed for some reason can it be with a laser without damaging the hair follicle?

If you could answer some of these questions or better yet provide photos of the individuals who had this procedure done in the 1990’s we would very much appreciate it. In my case I’ve had four hair transplants with almost 9000 grafts. I was a NW5. The first two were done by an unscrupulous doctor and I had very poor results. The last two were done by a much more qualified surgeon but he only had so many grafts to work with. I’m right on the threshold of my hair transplants looking cosmetically acceptable but with my donor supply exhausted the only option I can think of is the Scalp Micropigmentation. I wear a hair piece and want to remove it by the summer. My last hair transplant was in July 2011 so if my concerns are laid to rest I plan to have the Scalp Micorpigmentation in July 2012. Thank you for any help you can give me and the other forum members in the same boat.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Awesome, ttds, thanks for emailing Dr Traquina. I hope he responds, that could be very helpful. My latest worry is that the pigments will have a blue tint - not down the road but immediately. I was on a Toppix forum last nite and a guy who claims to have used GLI says that if he cuts his hair below a 2 guard that the blueish tint is very noticeable. Not sure if the guy is legit but it concerns me greatly BC I'm all in now- plane ticket, hotel, and deposit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TTDS, have you heard anything back from Dr. Tranquina yet? I am actually having my smp done this Tuesday, flying out early monday morning. Still Kind of skeptical but ready for a change. I think of the four leading companies available at US locations -NHI, GLI, HIS, AC- they are for the most part the same. I dont think that there is a huge difference in the tool or inks used, but more difference maybe in the actual process or administration of the pigments. Based on the online research I have done, it seems that AC in Florida is the weakest and I have heard from two different providers that AC's results will fade quickly- maybe a good thing depending on what you want but for $3,000 I want a permanent fix. I am still concerned about the long term effects of this procedure- in an email response from a Shapiro Medical staff member named Matt, he said that he does not believe that even the providers themselves know the long term effects of smp, which I agree with. How could they know anything beyond predictions based on science and anatomy if there are no examples 20 or more years old? But if you look on Shapiro Medical Hair Restoration website, they actually show before and afters of clients who have had FUE + SMP, and they refer clients with scars to GLI in Minneapolis, so that does not add up to me. I can deal with the fading, but I dont know what to do if it blurs into one big shade of bluish black like the man on a Youtube video that Dr Diep narrorates. If you just type in "bad scalp micropigmentation" on youtube it should be the first video to pop up. I can only hope that the man in that video went to a local tattoo shop or non reputal provider.

Jholecollege11, A number appreared on my cell phone yesterday with a 707 area code. I could not answer it because I was wrapping things up at the office. I thought that might be Dr. Tranquina so I Googled the number and it as him! However he left no voicemail. ; ( He did try to reach me. If I don't hear back in a couple of days I'll call that number back. You are making a decision based on research. You will never know 100% if it is the right decision but you've got to go with your gut. As a last resort you could have it lasered off. I've heard as many pros as cons about it so it is impossible to be 100% sure. If I can get this data from Dr. Tranquina that will put a lot of our fears to rest, but maybe not. What if back then they were using inferior ink? If a better ink is being used today that could totally change the outcome. Were you the one who posted the strengths and weaknesses of the top SMP providers? I remember seeing that in a post somewhere and would love to see it again. I'm really leaning toward getting this done myself in July.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

The guy who posted pros and cons was Azazelgs. Check it out on page 5 of this thread. I agree with you about this being a gamble either way. I guess the safest way to discover your immediate results is to visit the clinics themselves, but immediate results carry little importance- It is the mid-longterm effects that we are interested in. I think this process will catch on, but I also think it will evolve in the next 10-15 years with the introduction of better pigment/inks/, better tools/needles, and a better understanding of the best possible process-(how many sessions needed, time in between sessions, depth of insertion etc.). Unfortunately for me, this evolution will only be made possible by trial and error and 10-15 years of successes and failures. I only hope that when the superior method is developed I will be able to still benefit from it. The place I am going to claims a one and done method, but they back it up with a flawless BBB rating, so I am banking on that. I, however, do believe that this is a process just like HT's and many other cosmetic procedures. I think it probably takes more than one session to get it just right, so I will probably have to fly back up there in the next 3-6 months, but hopefully not. TTDS- check out the HIS website. They have a forum for former clients and prospective clients alike, and even though I am not using that clinic, I have been able to ask alot of relevant questions that have helped me have a better understanding of this process and living with it. That is the only forum I am aware of that is strictly for SMP guys. I will say, if you have the money and time to do it, NHI in LA with dr rassman and dr pak would be worth visiting. Of the providers, they are the only ones with hair restoration experience. Their price was just a little too steep for me, but I cant deny the amazing reputation they have.

jhlo and ttds,

i just wrote some pros and cons based on my research and they are copletely unprofessional and subjective thoughts, in short my thoughts:) however , i have been researching about it for two years now and i hope i can help. by the way jh, could you share some pictures and please give us a journal about your experience?

all we do is talk with each other other this and complain that noone here on htn is doing this so your thoughts mean a lot to us.

Azazelgs, hey man, yea I can do that. Im flying out tomorrow morning to get the procedure done, and will be back home in Louisiana on Wednesday. I'll try to keep a journal of my entire experience. My only reservation about posting details about the company im using on the thread, is that many forum members tend to believe that when a person does this that they are shilling for that particular company and not an actual unbiased client. I accused a guy who was talking of his- HIS MHT experience- just yesterday of being a shill, and after a couple more posts, I dont believe he is a shill but just a happy satisfied customer. But my point is, I still dont know how to give detailed accounts of this procedure without coming across as an "undercover rep" of the company. Either way, I can message both you and TTDS to let Yall know what my experience is. I can also email Yall before and after photos of my head so yall can see if you feel it is worth the money and risk to have this procedure done. At this point Im still a bit skeptical, but I wear a hat everywhere, so Im ready to take a chance.

Good luck Jholcollege11. I can't wait to see the results. Keep us posted.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I heard from Dr. Traquina today. He has not had contact with the patients who had the SMP done back in the 1990’s however, he did provide some good information based on his observations. He says the ink will hold up for three to four years and then the patient can go back to have it reinforced. He said if it is done properly and the right ink is used it will not bleed and turn into a “helmet look”. He said it is important to taper and feather it on the hairline so it give a natural appearance and that small dots are used and not close to each other. He said if the patient has hair that it is important that the ink is placed between the hair and not over it. The SMP procedure can also potentially cause shock loss for patients with hair but the hair will come back.

He said this may help patients with transplants with low density achieve the illusion of more density. Scars are very benefited from this procedure according to Dr. Traquina. There was some talk here that one color is used for all patients no matter their hair color. The reasoning was that all hair no matter the color appears black as stubble. He said that is not true that the ink should be matched to the color of the hair. He said if black was used on everyone no matter their hair color it would not look right. He also provided a website for the company that provides the pigment for SMP procedures. He said they can be a wealth of information. The website is www.permark.com Please let me hear back from you guys on what you think about this! Thanks.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Thanks TTDS, I'll keep u posted and thanks for taking the initiative to get that info. Very helpful. I will check out that web site. So I'm here in Minneapolis and just came back from my day before procedure consultation and I was impressed. These people are legit, they have got a lot going on in their office, lots of cosultants , techs, clerical. They had a session going on while I was there and I got to look in and watch the tech administering the pigments and it looked amazing. Also my consultant is a young guy in his 20s that had it done over a year ago i believe, and it looks great. I looked at it with magnifying glass and was even more impressed. I see what u mean about the hairline- this guy's looked real BC the dots were spaced enough to look like separate follicles. After seeing their finished result I'm pretty excited. I will admit that part of me is still a bit concerned with 10-15 years from now what it will look like, but I have a bit more peace of mind after talking with them, and with Your info from Dr Tranquina.

What I gathered from my conversation with him was that the color doesn't really change to some odd color it just fades a bit. It sounds like this is something that will need to be touched up every three to four years. I don't know if it would require the same amount of work as the original job. If so it could be costly, if not maybe more affordable. It sounds like we can put our fears of it bleeding and causing a "helmet look" as well. It seems like this is starting to look like a lower risk venture to me, especially for the right individual. If anyone has evidence to the contrary please share it. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Yea man I agree. The general consensus from people who have had it done is that worst case scenario- - it fades and u need touch up. Most places offer enhancements for about 200-300 bucks. I finally saw it first hand today and I'm a believer. I really thought this might be a scam, but based on the operation being run at the place I saw, there are people lining up to get this done. I didn't believe that was true before today. It sucks that the only way to know it is for real is to fly to a clinic and see first hand, but I'm happy I did

I can handle $2-300 if that is all it is. I went to GLI last year and met in person with the young guy I think you are talking about. It did look good. I felt they were pushing too hard to sell which worried me. I'm already skeptical about everything since I had a bad experience with the hair transplant. What did you have to do to prep for the procedure?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

They must have either done a 180 with their sales approach, gotten more business and eased up a bit, or just didn't care if I chose them lol- BC I can honestly tell you they have called me twice throughout this process and both times were just to return my calls. I was starting to worry BC they didn't push it at all and I thought maybe they were thinking they couldn't meet my expectations but after today I see that isn't the case. It is probably a combination of a shift in sales method + increase in business.

Basically they just give u a list of do's and don'ts for five days before u have it done- --dont sunburn your head, don't go in swimming pools or hot tubs, don't use toupee adhesives or any bonding agents, protect your head as best you can- mostly donts. Then tomorrow they'll shave me down to a zero clipper, but I'll probably do it myself at hotel. My biggest concern with this place was that they do it in a day as opposed to multiple sessions but he said it is more sessions for ht scars. The guy I met today who was having it done is obgyn so I would imagine he did his homework. Its just a tough decision ttds- not whether or not to do it, but where. If u didn't like GLI then maybe check out NHI, I find those guys rassman and pak pretty darn impressive, but price was just a little too high for me, but it may be worth the extra dough. Just don't let one bad experience keep you from doing something for yourself that w