strip scar.

Just a quick question......

So you have your mega-sessions which are probs 3500 grafts+, then the lesser sessions say anything up to 2500 grafts.

Usually the strip scar is a smiley face shape, but for the lesser sessions for say 2500 grafts, could you not just have a straght strip scar without having to extend the scar up around towards the ears? obviously for a mega you would need to extend the scar the to get the required grafts , but for the lesser sessions is it not possible to leave the curved bits out of it?

I woul think that the physician would follow the scar line so you would only have one neatly done scar. The way that the physician would get lesser grafts would then to adjust the width. He would just haveto know the average number of follicular units per square centimeter then it is just a simple math problem. Keep in mind that they can just get close to the number of grafts very rare to get exact.

i see so maybe if they are shooting for a lot of grafts they might make the strip a tiny bit wider? and i suppose its pot luck to how many grafts ppl have per cm so one person might be lucky and have a higher count then someone else?

The amount transplanted per square centimeter is predetermined based on the number of grafts a patient has once the grafts are extracted, that way the surgeon knows how densely he can pack an area. The strip can be long and wide it depends on how many grafts the patient needs and if the patient's scalp health and elasticity are. Thats why there are limitations on how many grafts one person can do in one session because if you take too much you can cause bad scarring in the donor area.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Not exactly pot luck. Most people have anywhere from 85 to 110 FU's per square cm. They should take a count from three or four different location within the safe zone and base the length and width of the strip on that count. For example a person that wants 2000 grafts with a donor density of 100 FU's/cm2 would need to remove a strip a little longer than 20cm and one cm wide. The reason the number might be a little more or less is because the average will be a little off. Most physicians should take a little more because of this and graft transection and if they are over will give you the difference for free.

The number of grafts needed depends on the amount of area that needs to be covered. Measure the area that needs to be covered in square centimeters and figure on 35 FU's/cm2 to give you a density that you will be happy with. You might even be happy with less that will be between you and your physician.

Hair,

I think the "smiley face" appearance of the scar occurs, as you said, when the strip wraps further around the sides of the head, above the ears. If you're undergoing a smaller session, a smaller strip (that does not wrap around the side of the head) could be utilized.

However, in my opinion, the "enemy" of the follicular unit transplantation (FUT) scar is tension. Tension on the wound is what makes the scar stretch and result in the unnatural, unfortunate appearance feared by many hair loss sufferers. This excessive tension occurs when surgeons utilize staples or sutures to bring two opposing areas of tissue together and close a very wide wound. Because of this, surgeons have two options when utilizing a smaller number of grafts: a small, wide strip or a long, thin strip.

With a long, thin strip, the "scar" will extend around the head (creating the smiley face pattern), but the closure will be much more manageable and likely resist stretching and inappropriate scar tissue formation. Unfortunately, the short, wide scar would still result in excessive tension and create a smaller, but more noticeable and less manageable scar.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.