How young is too young for HT

Hello everyone, new member here and i'm considering HT. I am 28 years old will be 29 in June. I used to just wear a cap to cover up my hair loss but now am in a professional job and can no longer do so. How young is too young for a HT? If I got the procedure done now will I keep having to do it every few years or will it be permanent? I have attached pictures of my hair loss for review

hairloss1.jpg.ae528477e41edaf65237315ab18367b7.jpg

hairloss2.jpg.f86ddfafe0e7ee1899cc680fe05c4d56.jpg

You are at a good age for treatment but at your stage of hair loss the first step would be to start preventative medications such as rogaine roam and propecia which can also regrow miniaturized hairs. The transplanted hairs are permanent but you may require more than one procedure to reach your goals of high density. Meet with a recommended surgeon from this forum to discuss a plan of action.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Daytrader

While I certainly agree with the above post in that you should start preventative meds for sure. You may not need more than one procedure. It really just depends what you want. I've seen case with less hair than you who have 4500 us megasessions and look great. The problem I think you are gonna run into is your job it sounds like. If you can't wear a hat, I would take ATLEAST one month off for some regrowth. About your age, I think you are certainly not to you, but you may be too young for a real aggressive hairline. Good luck to u

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Daytrader

While I certainly agree with the above post in that you should start preventative meds for sure. You may not need more than one procedure. It really just depends what you want. I've seen case with less hair than you who have 4500 us megasessions and look great. The problem I think you are gonna run into is your job it sounds like. If you can't wear a hat, I would take ATLEAST one month off for some regrowth. About your age, I think you are certainly not to you, but you may be too young for a real aggressive hairline. Good luck to u

How long time off you need really depends on how important it is that the HT is impossible to see. Probably most of your colleagues won't even know what has happend and just think you have had a horrible haircut.

I went back after just one week. Even at that stage just one comment appeared. As your name indicates, I am also a trader working in a male dominated company but only one guy asked quite loudly if I got a new haircut. I answered "yeah, and I'm never going back there!" and no one really seemed to care afterwards.

However, If I was to do it again (which I will for HT #2) I'd take 10 days off. After 10 days the scabs should pretty much be gone and you can rempove the staples so at that point it just looks like you have lost a lot of hair but you can cover up the readiness by courve and to cover the scar + use some toppik to make look slightly thicker.

After 12 days I also had a haircut telling the hairdresser my story and she made the old hair mix really well in with the short hair over the recepient area by cutting it short near the recepient, keeping full length over scar and shorter bellow. Magic.

I'm not saying 10 days is right for everyone, but it's a subjective issue and for me a full month sounds like an extreme overkill.

Medications might help to thicken up some of the hair on top and result in you needing fewer grafts. Your balding pattern is advanced, but your sides look quite high and your crown hasn't 'opened up' too wide, meaning that the area requiring grafts is smaller than it could be. Medications can prevent the back and sides receding further down, increasing the balding area.

I think any doctor you consult with would need better photos including ones which show your donor area.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

How long time off you need really depends on how important it is that the HT is impossible to see. Probably most of your colleagues won't even know what has happend and just think you have had a horrible haircut.

I went back after just one week. Even at that stage just one comment appeared. As your name indicates, I am also a trader working in a male dominated company but only one guy asked quite loudly if I got a new haircut. I answered "yeah, and I'm never going back there!" and no one really seemed to care afterwards.

However, If I was to do it again (which I will for HT #2) I'd take 10 days off. After 10 days the scabs should pretty much be gone and you can rempove the staples so at that point it just looks like you have lost a lot of hair but you can cover up the readiness by courve and to cover the scar + use some toppik to make look slightly thicker.

After 12 days I also had a haircut telling the hairdresser my story and she made the old hair mix really well in with the short hair over the recepient area by cutting it short near the recepient, keeping full length over scar and shorter bellow. Magic.

I'm not saying 10 days is right for everyone, but it's a subjective issue and for me a full month sounds like an extreme overkill.

Were you shaved in the recipient area???

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Would you guys recommend someone that is close to Toronto?

Thanks

Some of the best HT surgeons are in Ontario. They are Dr. Rahal and Dr. Simmons. You can't go wrong with either.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Were you shaved in the recipient area???

Yes I was shaved. So after 10 days I still had the new grafts in place while my natural hair had been shaved off. I lost the transplanted grafts between week two and four but at that stage my natural hair had started to grow back.

If you have average hair growth your hair grows about 15cm a year. So after two weeks the natural hair on average should be 15cm/52=0.57cm (or about a clipper #2 I think).

So with a little Toppic and Courve it looked like I had lost some more hair on the top but far from bad enough to feel that I couldn't go out in public.

I wore a cap outside for the first week but after that I didn't feel the need to as I don't lie wearing them.