Help: NeoGraft Questions

I had a transplant years ago, and for years, I'm considering FUE. I am close to Dr. Umar and am considering my options.

Now I'm reading and hearing all this stuff on the NeoGraft. I'm reading stuff like "undetectable" and "scarless" surgery. What is the difference between FUE and NeoGraft.

Is there really such a thing as "Scarless Surgery?" And is the NeoGraft that much better to warrant such exposure?

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

Neograft is a device that does the FUE procedure, and it is not scarless no procedure as of yet is scarless in this field. It creates small white dots where the extractions were taken place. Many of the top FUE surgeons do not use this device as there are other custom made instruments that provide better quality grafts, less transection and overall better results.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mercury,

The NeoGraft hair transplant machine is an expensive and over-hyped FUE tool used by physicians to extract follicles. It is one of many and in my opinion, there's no evidence to suggest it's superior to other innovative tools, including those used by Dr. Umar. Any veteran patient and quality physician will tell you that it's the physician, not the tool that matters the most. The answer to "What is the best FUE tool?" is a simple one..."whichever works best for the surgeon".

Also, there is no such thing as "scarless" surgery. This misinformation was wrongfully mass marketed by several FUE practioners when this technique was first becoming popular and is still be pushed today by the marketing giants at various companies. In my opinion, this practice is deceiving and needs to be stopped.

I strongly recommend reading the following articles related to the NeoGraft and people's concerns about it:

NeoGraft: A Revolutionary FUE Hair Transplant Machine?

Can the NeoGraft Revolutionize the Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant Technique?

The Evolution of Follicular Unit Extraction, Physicians and Its Tools

Best wishes,

Bill

For the novice hair transpalnt patient who does not or has not researched the field, it is a shame that companies will do anything and falsely advertise "scarless" surgery and people will believe it. I have a feeling the marketing of Neograft is causing anyone with an MD after thair name to get it and start doing hair transplants. Then we will be back in the "plug" phase of hair transplant surgery with results being way sub-par compared to dedicated MD's who know their stuff.

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

Mercury,

You're exactly right. The thought of neophyte surgeons with no experience operating on a patient's scalp makes me very nervous. Thus, while I'm always interested in potentially new innovations designed to improve a particular technique/procedure related to hair restoration, it's the skill and experience of the surgeon that matters much more than which tools they use to achieve the desired result.

Besides, if I'm correct, a NeoGraft hair transplant machine costs in excess of $75000 to purchase. And no such proof exists that it's superior to other motorized tools significantly less expensive. Thus, in my opinion, neophyte surgeons would do far better spending their money on extra training with well established world renowned hair restoration physicians than buying an overpriced machine and operating on patients with minimal training.

Best wishes,

Bill