Will 500 grafts make a difference in my crown? With wet/dry photos. Opinions please.

I'm a 27 y/o NW2v. I have a hair transplant scheduled with a reputable clinic for next month. My question is would 500 grafts make a marked difference in the appearance of my crown? When it is dry the thinning is not noticeable. When it is wet and the hair is combed standing on end it looks really bad. I took dry and wet photos with a flash. The dry photo is with hair flat. In the wet photo I combed my hair so it is "spiked" standing up. Both photos were taken with a flash. Thoughts?

dryflash.jpg.b914a7fee9ca0cdb32367ad1b7fe5e47.jpg

wetflash.jpg.0b25ac5d1fe372cdffab6982cba26b4a.jpg

Please answer the following questions: Are you on meds? What's your family history of hairloss? Are you going for FUE or strip? Which clinic? I personally would not have a HT done if I were in your shoes.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yes I am on meds. Have been on and off for 5 years with the last year solidly committed. I have little family history of hairloss. My fathers hair while thinner than mine is still all there with some temporal recession maybe NW3 (age 56). My mothers father had a full head of hair until he passed away. I will be going for FUE to have minor temple work which I have wanted since age 18. My hairline has not budged for 10 years. I have the option of having some grafts placed in crown. Thoughts?

My entire head is not wet I wet the top a little beyond the perimeter of the crown and thinning area by splashing water with my hand. I have no thinning in the frontal third at all. I know because I'm always checking and taking photos almost daily.

When I was doing consults I was told that 500 grafts would not make a noticeable difference in the crown in my situation. I ended up with about 1200 and there is a subtle difference. In your case I'd wait and see if there is further loss. It looks fine now especially in the dry pic.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Levrais I took a look at your photos. Would other factors come into play such as the thickness/color of your hair etc...? I have thick black latin hair. Father is caucasian and mother is hispanic. I take after my mothers hair as far as density and thickness. It is not a bald spot I have. There is hair in the crown which has become miniaturized. I was just wondering if 500 grafts could give the appearance of having more density in that small area maybe slightly larger than the size of a golf ball. 500 seems like a small amount but if they were 3-4 hair grafts which is possible with good donor could it make even a small improvement to someone like me who notices every small little thing when it comes to his hair?

Edited by jmghair

The thickness works in your favor but the dark color has more contrast with scalp and makes the problem more obvious. Since you already have hair there, you could actually damage it and accelerate the loss by putting 500 grafts there. One of two things will likely happened in your case. The loss will stabilize and you won't need to do anything or it will progress to a point where it would be worth doing something. But at this point I would enjoy the hair you have.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

The thickness works in your favor but the dark color has more contrast with scalp and makes the problem more obvious. Since you already have hair there, you could actually damage it and accelerate the loss by putting 500 grafts there. One of two things will likely happened in your case. The loss will stabilize and you won't need to do anything or it will progress to a point where it would be worth doing something. But at this point I would enjoy the hair you have.

All valid points. Perhaps we can get a doctor to chime in.

I am going to have a procedure done to fill in the temples no more than 1,000 fue. The doc said he will have to see the crown in person the morning of the procedure and plan from there whether or not it is wise to address it now. I have to admit maybe it is a little greedy but we will see what Dr. Bisanga says upon physical examination. The miniaturization needs to be assessed as there is a risk of damaging native hairs.

Sorry one more question; is your entire head wet in that second picture or did you just wet the crown area?

These are new pics I took today with hair dripping wet straight out of the shower. The first was taken without a flash and the second with a flash for comparison. Hair is about 1/2" in length. Thoughts?

wetnoflash2.jpg.0ed8464bc551a5cb95b1248bfd169cbd.jpg

wetflash2.jpg.33df6784bea56212f26dbc0463928b65.jpg

Edited by jmghair

I would not touch that crown with a 10 foot pole. It is not bad at all and you are too young to start putting grafts into a mildly thinning crown. I imagime most docs will tell you the same thing.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

If you could cure your hair loss with a few grafts to the crown would you do it? It appears I have stabilized my hair-loss. I take all three meds and the outlook looks good for me from looking at the males in my family. I'm just having a friendly discussion here no rash decisions are being made. I respect all the opinions saying no absolutely don't do anything. I know where they're coming from I really do. The question is would 500 hundred grafts improve the look of that region from observing the pics? Lets say I was able to avoid shocking my native hairs into oblivion. How real and common is permanent shock-loss to the crown in cases like this? I might add that I have been researching hair transplants for 10 years lurking on this board and others. I have had consults with at least 3 of the top docs recommended on this board. I'm glad I caught my hair-loss early enough to nip it in the bud. I didn't even get serious about meds until I noticed this thinning about a year ago. I had been on meds before but I was trying to get hair to grow in the temple in an area I not genetically disposed to grow hair in. I always had a "dracula" shaped hairline.

Edited by jmghair

• 2 years later...

Hi cdog, what was the outcome of your procedure ? I'm very interested in adding just a few grafts to the crown to give the appearance of coverage when dry so I can stop using concealers. I've had a physical consultation from dr lorenzo and he 1800 fue to rebuild front hairline and mid scalp and 400 to crown . Dr erdogan quoted 3000 for hairline and 1000 to crown !!! Dr bisanga said he would have to see the crown in person but would probably just keep in meds for now .

I'm 33 and been on meds for 5 years .

I will attatch some pictures for any advise that can be given ? This is not a lorenzo vs erdogan vs bisanga thing ... As I believe they are all top doctors !

Cheers