Can scalp laxity exersises cause old scar to stretch?

I've been doing scalp laxity exercises for the past few of months in preparation for my next HT (around 20 minutes a day,some days less),and I feel my scalp laxity has improved,but I also feel discomfort on my previous scar area on the days that I do the exercises for 20 minutes.

this is a 3 years old scar and I remember it took longer than usual to heal and I felt discomfort in the area for a long time after the surgery.(my old transplant was performed by a poor clinic).

I also think (not sure) that my scar might have been slightly stretched as a result of these exercises,it is around 4mm now,is this possible? and if yes what can be done to loosen the scalp without risking the old scar to stretch?

also I've noticed since I've started the exercises some pimples appear on/near the old scar which are uncomfortable but usually disappear after few days,all these issues makes me wonder if these exercises are completely safe to do for 20-30 minutes a day?

Hi Alex,

It can take about a year sometimes a little longer to heal fully and mature. If it's been 3 yrs since the old scar was formed then doing your exercises now shouldnt be a problem, however if your worried about it, i would recommend you check with the clinic your having the op with and see what they say. I had my second op last Oct, with Dr Feller and had no problems doing my exercises with my old scar which was 4 yrs old. When you have your op they will probably open your old scar anyway and close it up making a new scar.

Best of luck with your HT.:)

Kind Regards

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I've been doing scalp laxity exercises for the past few of months in preparation for my next HT (around 20 minutes a day,some days less),and I feel my scalp laxity has improved,but I also feel discomfort on my previous scar area on the days that I do the exercises for 20 minutes.

this is a 3 years old scar and I remember it took longer than usual to heal and I felt discomfort in the area for a long time after the surgery.(my old transplant was performed by a poor clinic).

I also think (not sure) that my scar might have been slightly stretched as a result of these exercises,it is around 4mm now,is this possible? and if yes what can be done to loosen the scalp without risking the old scar to stretch?

also I've noticed since I've started the exercises some pimples appear on/near the old scar which are uncomfortable but usually disappear after few days,all these issues makes me wonder if these exercises are completely safe to do for 20-30 minutes a day?

Yea thats the thing..you should be getting a new scar anyway so it shouldn't matter if this one stretches a little bit from scalp stretching exercise..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Dear Alix,

I've been curious about scalp laxity exercises. Do pardon me if this question has been repeated, but how do you perform the exercises and must it be done consistently before surgery?

Kind regards,

Travis.

By doing the scalp exercise you may be able to create a couple of mm's of additional laxity. This can make a big difference when you are talking about removing the old scar and trying to get enough new tissue to do the next transplant. Any way to reduce the tension on the next donor closure will be a benefit.

Irishsailor,Newhairplease; &Dr. Glenn Charles

thanks for your replies.I know the old scar will be removed with the next surgery,I was just thinking if the old scar stretches because of these exercises it can reduce the number of grafts of the new donor strip due bigger scar tissue..

Travis;

watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0yZ8CuiiGY

Edited by alix

Dr. Charles and Alix, thank you for your prompt response.

I've been recently acquainted to this forum a few weeks ago, and I'm planning my HT in a few months time, in the meantime, I'm absorbing as much information as possible.

Travis.

Dr. Charles and Alix, thank you for your prompt response.

I've been recently acquainted to this forum a few weeks ago, and I'm planning my HT in a few months time, in the meantime, I'm absorbing as much information as possible.

Travis.

That is the right thing to do!!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Even if some stretching did occur, it won't cause the scar to be so wide that it effects the ability of your surgeon to take a new strip with enough donor hair for your next procedure. Like Dr Charles said, the added laxity from doing the exercises will be of benefit when taking a new strip.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com