Strongly considering 2nd transplant

I am 29 years old and considering a 2nd hair transplant. First one was done around 7 years ago. Looking for any advice mostly on how many grafts I should get. My goals are to have a substantial increase in thickness and possibly a lower hairline as I have a pretty large forehead and a longer face.

5b32d16cbc6f5_IMG_02081.jpg.86de21c379d8c3394920d22b8fdd619e.jpg

5b32d16cd0290_IMG_02121.jpg.409357b5897206a032c728159a26cc8a.jpg

5b32d16ce11c0_IMG_02151.jpg.f1969411606fde946e699d429241b512.jpg

5b32d16cf3fac_IMG_02261.jpg.69f14ef9917e9f6a6f1ba907684fc0a4.jpg

How many grafts did you get the first time? I ask because the density seems low. Are you using any preventative medications such as rogaine or propecia? If not I highly suggest you start because at the moment you seem to be a class 4a on the norwood scale but will most likely go toward a 5a or 6 based on the photos, which show miniaturization in the bridge and crown areas. Depending on your donor area you would probably need about 3000 grafts to the frontla 1/3 of your head to get a nice cosmetic difference.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You look to be in the neighborhood of a 3k or 4k grafts...however, you stated you've had previous work so this will obviously depend on your donor supply availability...also, I would not recommend lowering your hair line as that will eat a lot of grafts that can be used on top...plus a nice mature hair line will make a world of difference..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I am not able to remember how many grafts for the 1st procedure. I was made aware I would probably need a 2nd and possible 3rd procedure, as I might continue to lose hair. Also was told i had good donor area/elasticity. Do you happen to have a general idea as to the price for 3k-4k grafts?

You really should consider using preventative medication as it appears you will most likely lose quite a bit of native hair on top and crown areas of your head, and you most likely will not have enough donor to cover those areas effectively without it. Typically the cost per graft for that size in most clinics is about $4/graft but it can vary from place to place.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Typically, once you have figured out what Norwood level, approximately 1000x that norwood level will help you predict about what size procedure you should want next. Again, this is an approximation.

Then research the doctors and only the doctors recommended by this forum...don't even consider anyone else as you have a limited donor supply and you want the best possible result.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 2 weeks later...

deeodub,

Welcome to our enhanced discussion forum and social community. You've already been given some excellent advice. I too recommend that you strongly consider getting on preventative medication such as Propecia and Rogaine. I'd also suggest consulting with one of our prescreened hair transplant surgeons to go over your non-surgical and surgical treatment options.

Best wishes,

Bill

It appears that you are destined for the higher classes of hairloss as was mentioned. That is why I believe that you are receiving sound recommendations for including effective hairloss meds before you lose much more. No doubt you have some Norwood 6 & 7s on either side of your family history?

And I also agree with your larger forehead you would be much wiser to consider a higher hairline because with continued loss, you will run out of donor very soon.

Yes, 2-3000 grafts will make an improvement for now, but that's just for now. What about over your lifetime since you are still relatively young?:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY