Will cutting down to a #2 reduce shockloss

Hi All

I know Shock Loss has been mentioned so many times on here but can anyone advise whether they think a grade 2 will be sufficient enough to help reduce the chances of shock loss. I do have quite a bit of hair and I dont think any of the remaining hairs are minaturized. Not to my limited knowledge anyway.

I know there are other factors which my future transplant doc has informed me, but this is one thing I forgot to ask.

Thanks

Good morning , and sorry for the late reply, I'm in London for few days and sometimes I don't have an access to the internet, You are correct, a hair shock loss can occur sometimes, due to few factors, some of them are related to the patient and his or her susceptible of having the telogen effluvium due to the very weak hair or the growth phase the hair would be at the time of the procedure, the second reason is the manipulations of the area during the procedure by the injection of the local anesthesia and fluids, the third reason is of course the surgeon's skills while making the sites for the new grafts. The first two reasons we have no control over, but the third, we should control and be carful not to damage the surrounding follicles, by being precise, by controlling the depth and the angle of the site, in my practice I have added another important tool to minimize the likelihood of the hair shock, for the last two years I have started using a very sharp and very small sized blades made of sapphire, which made a big difference in the over al results.

I hope you find this information useful

Kindest Regards,

Marwan Saifi, M.D., ABHRS

(promotional link removed)

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

Hello, if you meant that the doc shaves you down to avoid hitting existing hairs to put hairs in between, then this will reduce shock loss to the hair you already have, but may not eliminate it and you may experience some.

Edited by Dutch

I agree 100% with dutch, you should be shaving down to that anyway as to reduce permanent shockloss but i highly doubt it will stop temporary shockloss.

See my blog i shaved down to a blade 0 and i got nuclear shockloss in the recipient and donor area but i believe that all my pre ht hair definitely grew back by month 6 so thats the main thing really.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Thanks for your comments !

Dutch / Bonkerstonker - what % of shockloss would you say you had ??

Cheers

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

Total 5134 grafts.

I honestly couldn't tell you how much or how little shock loss I had on the scalp as I had very little thin hair left on top before the surgery as I was balding in a Norwood 5A area. As for the sides, I had a fair bit on the sides of my head above the ears & still have a tiny bit left I think even though I'm 3.5 months post op.

See my blog for pics. Hit my name & look there. Will create a hairloss website with a link soon...

Look at my blog my pictures paint the picture. I'd say 88% temporary shockloss in the recipient site.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Dutch - Many thanks

Bonkerstonker - I think you have now put me off my hair transplant. I was not expecting that level of shockloss !!! Is that normal? or do you think its because of the amount of gratfs you had. Im really panicing now !!!!

Were you shaved down ?? this sould make it look worse ?

Thanks

Gary

Total 5134 grafts.

Dutch / Bonker

Just out of interest , what have you told people as its clear from the photos/blog you have that something has happened. Unless you are able to wear a hat at work ???

With the amount of hair I have I was hoping to get away with nobody noticing, but with shockloss of 80 % plus , obviously this will not be possible.

Thanks

Total 5134 grafts.

Sorry ,just realised Bonker that you put you shaved down , so i think thats why it looks so different

Total 5134 grafts.

I shaved my full head to a blade 0 but you will see in my 5 week pictures that the sides had grown back but the area I had worked on was virtually bald which means I got border line complete shockloss in my recipient area if you follow my blog you can see the contrast change over the months I didn't get my hair cut at all until month 5ish so everything you see is how it grew back naturally.

Temperory shockloss is very common in areas where you have work done but what's it matter as it grows back.

I just hid from everyone I knew completely and wore a hat to work.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

To be honest, its matters quite a bit to me as I have quite a lot of hair at the moment and I am unable to wear a hat to work as I work in an office.

Starting to have second thoughts !!!

Total 5134 grafts.

Hi All

Now my transplant date is getting closer I am really panicing about shockloss as I cannot wear a hat to work.

I was of the understanding that Propecia greatly reduces the changes of shockloss. I presume now, from the above, that this is only for permanent rather than termporary shockloss.

Can anyone anyone else give me an indication of what % of loss of hair is normal for

temporary shockloss, as Bonkerstonkers 80% seems very high. I would not know what to say to my work 65 office work colleagues !!!

Total 5134 grafts.

Where abouts are you having your ht?

How many grafts?

Is it fue or fut? Given the fact you said you were gonna shave all over to a blade 2 then i'm guessing fue as you'd have no chance hiding the scar with a blade 2 from fut.

It looks to me you're a nw5a diffuse, if you're gonna have that full area filled then it will be red for a couple of months depending on how many grafts you get so that could be a big give away as well.

Shockloss is a real gamble nobody knows what will happen but i've seen lots of people receive temporary shockloss.

Below is a random blog i found of temporary shockloss 1 month post op...

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=5959&WebID=1792

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Dutch / Bonker

Just out of interest , what have you told people as its clear from the photos/blog you have that something has happened. Unless you are able to wear a hat at work ???

With the amount of hair I have I was hoping to get away with nobody noticing, but with shockloss of 80 % plus , obviously this will not be possible.

Thanks

Just like you I was panicking like crazy saying how will I hide the scar- in the end I thought the hell with it & told about 20 people at work that I'm having a HT. Coming back 3 weeks post op, the scar was still visible, very hard to hide coming back from a zero blade. I used nanogen aqua match concealer. No one mocked me at work. No I weren't able to wear a hat as I work in an office with bright lights, sitting on the end of a set of desks! Don't worry to much! Roughly how many grafts you're having? With?

Bonker

My hair when grown out a little is only thin through the middle , not through the entire scalp, my doc has said to go for just the front as he think the meds will work for me. We havent decided on Fue or FUT as yet as im having the full consoltation the day before. He has only seen photos at this stage. Im not too worried about the scar as I have a scar at the back of my head anyway and I can just say that im going for a scar revision. Im just really concerned about the temp loss.

Im hoping for 2000 throughtout the middle , so nothing too drastic.

Dutch

My Doctor is Marwan Saifi. I have read quite a few good reports from people on this site , nothing to the level of the paying docs , but still enough for me to be confident. Im in contact with a few of them now and have been for many months.

Cheers

Total 5134 grafts.

If you're just getting the front done shockloss won't be too much of a issue but it's kind of pointless I'd get the whole head done where needs be as meds are not very good a regrowing they mainly stabelize. Anyway all the best mate.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1