Yomommyz

It says that Beta sitosterol is all you really need before you start stocking up on saw palmetto.

Although I think it's good to do research into all treatment options I would strongly protest against Beta sitosterol. Who knows what that would do to your body. It's a lot safer to keep to finasteride??¦..

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Hi Yomommyz,

I have no proof (to hand) and I do not mean to scare you against trying it. But as you like I will give you my brief opinion??¦

Quote: 'Your body has to get used to everything you put in it'. Your right! The body does get use to what you put in it. In fact your liver changes to adapt to your diet, medication and supplements. For everything you put in your body, your liver will evolve to become more efficient at removing it. The problem I have with hi potency phytosterols is that indeed they may help in reducing DHT but as you state they also have other health effects on your body. Phytosterols interfere with cholesterol absorption and have weak estrogenic effects. Now these can be beneficial if you are at risk of heart disease etc but what if you not at risk. Do you want to reduce cholesterol absorption... cholesterol can be very important. Will this effect synthesis of other hormones (as they use cholesterol as their backbone structure)? I do not think it has been properly studied!

Also what happens if you stop taking it? How will your body readjust? The thing that I don't like about natural DHT reducing supplements is they do not work 'naturally'. You would not obtain those levels of phytosterols from a normal natural diet.

Now with finasteride, that is of course not natural. But it has been well studied and we know how it affects other hormones etc. Also, I don't understand why you would expect the 'natural' way to reduce DHT to be any less severe on the body then the synthetic way.

Best wishes.

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)