Hair Transplant Dilemma ??

I want to get a hair transplant, but I can't pull the trigger. I was told Hair Club and Bosley that I needed 1400 grafts in the front U area and I wanted another 600 on top/back totalling 2000. Below is my MAIN concern, lets start with that.

1.) I am having a real hard time choosing a surgeon. I live in Western NY and want to take a train to the procedure

Is it possible to skip the pre-op ?? Basically can I just show up at the procedure without meeting with the doctor before hand ??

Stop. Spend about 6 months reading the questions/replies here on the forum. Learn about HTs. Learn so you don't make a mistake that you'll live with for the rest of your life.

Your question is akin to someone asking if they can buy a car without seeing or driving it. Sure, you can, but why would you want to? At least with a car you can sell it. With a HT, once you've taken the plunge there's no way to reverse what you've done. And it's on your head for everyone to see.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

I have been reading for a few months.... So I couldn't go to a doctor say on a Monday and have the procedure on a Tuesday, is this commonly done... Also it's not like the doctor is gonna say things to make me NOT want to do the procedure.

I have been reading for a few months.... So I couldn't go to a doctor say on a Monday and have the procedure on a Tuesday, is this commonly done... Also it's not like the doctor is gonna say things to make me NOT want to do the procedure.

If you've been reading for a few months then you would know the #1 rule of hair transplantation is to STAY AWAY from places like Bosley and Hair Club! There are a few good docs in your area that you should consult with. Having your head messed with by some of the butchers at Bosley is not a good idea!

I know the feeling of getting excited about the prospects of the procedure and its hard to turn back once you get that itch. I'm sure there's nothing anyone can say that's gonna change your mind, but if you're comfortable with your look please reconsider. In any event, there's no way you're gonna have a procedure and show up to work two or three days later. You'll need at least a week trust me. I underestimated the recovery time on my first one and almost had to quit my job!

You don't have to meet the all doctors before the procedure. Some (or maybe most) will accept an online consultation and a morning meeting before the procedure.

However, as others have said it sounds like you need to do a lot more research before taking the plunge. Don't rush into it, spend at least another 6 month researching and looking into different doctors and find one you're comfortable with.

Give me a list of doctors then. How much can I expect to pay for 2k grafts ??

If I lived in NY, I would talk to Dr. Feller in NY and Dr. Rahal in Ottawa, Canada. Seach for both of the doctors to see their results. Rahal especially has had some absolutely incredible results lately but I would trust either doctor with my head. For 2,000 grafts, you'll pay around $8000-10000 for a strip procedure.

If I lived in NY, I would talk to Dr. Feller in NY and Dr. Rahal in Ottawa, Canada. Seach for both of the doctors to see their results. Rahal especially has had some absolutely incredible results lately but I would trust either doctor with my head. For 2,000 grafts, you'll pay around $8000-10000 for a strip procedure.

Thanks... Still on the fence for the procedure... In the mean time can you recommend me a couple shampoos to use?? Also where is the best place online to get Finasteride? I currently have been taking in for about 1.5 years and my hairloss is getting worse and worse. I currently get it from Europe, I want something from Canada I guess ?

I know the feeling of getting excited about the prospects of the procedure and its hard to turn back once you get that itch. I'm sure there's nothing anyone can say that's gonna change your mind, but if you're comfortable with your look please reconsider. In any event, there's no way you're gonna have a procedure and show up to work two or three days later. You'll need at least a week trust me. I underestimated the recovery time on my first one and almost had to quit my job!

Agreed. I took 3 weeks of work, its hard to come back from a zero & came back with a slightly visible smiley. Used concealer.

Stay away from Bosley & Hair Club, just enter these words in the search engine and read some of the horror stories. When I was in Canada, I was shocked to see Bosley advertising on the tv.

Meast 21: Just from reading your posts in this thread you have not researched NEARLY enough to get a HT. Your questions are that of a newbie which is fine but please utilize this site and become extremely knowledgeable about a HT before you take the plunge.

A HT is not something you decide on Monday and are getting on on Tuesday...not how it happens...it takes a long time to vet the right doctor for your particular case. There are a list of surgeons on this website that are recommended and from your due diligence you should be able to decide on your own. I would recommend going through them and doing online consults if you don't want to travel to see them in person. Not sure where you are from, but I had my HT with Dr. Rahal in Ottawa and it was amazing as I am 1 month out now. You can check out my website to start researching the doctor and just reading about the procedure in general.

Also to answer your other questions...2k grafts will be around $8-$10k...as doctors charge anywhere from around $4 to $5 a graft usually for the first 2,500 grafts...again this is a general estimation of the cost. Research more and you will be better off for it as a HT is not something to mess around with in the hands of a bad surgeon...you will be paying for your whole life trying to fix the mess they make. Hope this helps you.

Fin is by prescription only..so you will have to get a prescription by a doctor...usually a dermatologist. I am not sure if you can get it online...doubt it without a prescription...again you could try to google it and see what you get. In regards to shampoo...I am not sure what kind of shampoo you are looking for.

Fin is by prescription only..so you will have to get a prescription by a doctor...usually a dermatologist. I am not sure if you can get it online...doubt it without a prescription...again you could try to google it and see what you get. In regards to shampoo...I am not sure what kind of shampoo you are looking for.

Got to be a couple places online without a prescription... Looking for a shampoo to stop or slow down hair loss ??

You live in the US? I gather you don't have medical insurance? If you have them prescribe proscar it will be extremely cheap for you. I'm sure you could perhaps find it online somewhere but i would be skeptical of it.

There are plenty of places you can find generic proscar online. Just be sure to do a background check on your provider.

Also remember you don't need prescription for Proscar in all countries. For example, I bought a years supply otc in Turkey.

Online, I've bought (non generic) Proscar from Greece before as they can give online prescriptions online (or something along those lines) and send it to you.

I fugure how that works depends on your customs but where I live (europe, non Eu) customs doesn't seem to mind.

There are plenty of places you can find generic proscar online. Just be sure to do a background check on your provider.

Also remember you don't need prescription for Proscar in all countries. For example, I bought a years supply otc in Turkey.

Online, I've bought (non generic) Proscar from Greece before as they can give online prescriptions online (or something along those lines) and send it to you.

I fugure how that works depends on your customs but where I live (europe, non Eu) customs doesn't seem to mind.

I already get Finasteride 1mg tablets (take 1 a day) from somewhere in Europe. Yes I live in US.... How do u really know if its really Finasteride ???

Any shampoo recommendations, or anything else to slow the hair loss process ????

As others are saying, first, and foremost, take a deep breath and don't jump into anything without first completing some solid research.

Second: recommended hair transplant surgeons in New York.

Third: see a personal physician, dermatologist, or hair restoration surgeon and obtain a legitimate prescription for Propecia. It's a significant medication, and I personally think you should undergo a proper evaluation before taking the drug (though I do recommend taking it).

Fourth: try Nizoral (again, I'd speak with a physician first).

Please feel free to ask any additional questions!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

As others are saying, first, and foremost, take a deep breath and don't jump into anything without first completing some solid research.

Second: recommended hair transplant surgeons in New York.

Third: see a personal physician, dermatologist, or hair restoration surgeon and obtain a legitimate prescription for Propecia. It's a significant medication, and I personally think you should undergo a proper evaluation before taking the drug (though I do recommend taking it).

Fourth: try Nizoral (again, I'd speak with a physician first).

Please feel free to ask any additional questions!

I pay about $150 for a 6 month supply (1 mg day) of finasteride. How much is it with a prescription without insurance at my doctor's office??

In nyc its about 250 for a 3 month supply. I echo what futurehair said, get a prescription. I don't know why anyone would mess around with nonprescription "propecia". How do you even what you're getting without a script is even propecia?

In nyc its about 250 for a 3 month supply. I echo what futurehair said, get a prescription. I don't know why anyone would mess around with nonprescription "propecia". How do you even what you're getting without a script is even propecia?

What's 250 for 3 months supply in ny, propecia? Wow.

Completely agree, get a prescription & search the supplier of the medication.

If you check your online provider properly I don't see a big problem with buying it online as you can get it substantially cheaper. As it's harder to know whether you can trust your supplier than when buying locally a little effort is needed but with a little research it's not impossible to find out.