How does nizoral work?

newby1234

Newby,

Ketoconazole (the active ingredient in Nizoral) is first, and foremost, an anti-fungal agent. In this regard, it may have some hair loss impact by reducing scalp inflammation and, therefore, increasing the flow of blood and nutrients to the scalp (though this is my personal opinion).

However, a 1996 study comparing ketoconazole to minoxidil (the active ingredient in Rogaine) helped demonstrate that the anti-fungal also possesses some anti-androgen (hormone) properties. Because of this, it's believed that ketoconazole may have some "anti-DHT" capabilities and can therefore help combat hair loss on the hormonal front as well.

Utilizing ketoconazole on the scalp versus a systemic ingestion (oral administration) allows the drug to absorb and work at the site of administration (the scalp). This means that, much like using topical minoxidil, you won't see a system wide blockage of DHT, but you can see some action at the scalp itself.

However, keep in mind that, at this point in time, minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia) are the only two drugs fully approved for treating genetic hair loss, and I highly recommend adding these components to your Nizoral regimen (if you aren't already).

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Very good explanation

It's certainly not a wonder drug but for someone who want to "do everything" to hault hair loss it certainly cannot hurt

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

newby,

It's also marketed as an anti-dandruff shampoo here in the US. I personally use the the 1% formula twice weekly. It also comes in a 2% solution but here in the US it is only available by prescription and is also significantly more expensive.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website