Scalp Pigmentation-Tattoo plus HTbuzz

scar5

I'd like to know more about the companies involved and their techniques. Any comments or suggestions please.

My starting points are,

1) That I want to combine very short hair with pigmentation, and use my real hair to define the hairline, not the tattoo.

2) All pigmentation dots will fade and somewhat dissolve or blur to some degree. But maybe that is not a deal breaker if you have some hair.

Scar,

I'm also very interested in this concept. We've now seen several examples of SMP from Dr. Rassman and I know that he's discussed the possibility of combining FUE with SMP to maximize the benefits.

It seems to me that if someone wanted to wear a relatively short buzz cut then transplanting slightly lower than normal density in order to cover more real estate and define the hairline as you suggest would be a viable option with SMP adding to the illusion of density.

I've not come across anyone yet who has put this strategy into play.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I think this is the best approach for SMP. The pigmentation is only one dimensional but the more hair you have the more realistic it looks - sort of the same with concealer.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I think combo of SMP and HT could be a winning one. HT hair for the front and SMP for some density in and around existing hair and/or scar. It would be great if we could see more photos of this here.

Dr. Rassman ... discussed the possibility of combining FUE with SMP to maximize the benefits.

Yes, and so had Dr. Shapiro.

It seems to me that if someone wanted to wear a relatively short buzz cut then transplanting slightly lower than normal density in order to cover more real estate and define the hairline as you suggest would be a viable option with SMP adding to the illusion of density.

Exactly, as Dr. Diep says, "we don't need as much hair as we normally do"

He also says,

"Micropigmentation without hair will still look like a tattoo"

"The good part is that it will give the appearance of better density if you have hair, but if you don't have hair, it will look very awkward and abnormal"

"the color of the ink will never stay the same"

" ..the ink will move because the microcytic cell will ingest the micropigmentation and the microcytic cell moves too ..through the years...it will get more smear(ed) ..the pigment dot will not be as strong...it will get worse through the years"

But having said that, he goes on to say how good it can be, And there are many encouraging comments and overall his impression of SMP is positive, the caveat is it MUST be combined with hair.

(ref: go utube, search Diep, pigmentation for informative videos)

And from Dr. Rassman's FAQ on SMP,

The hint of blue /green color comes from the filtering out of red light through the layers of skin and cannot be avoided, "unless the laws of physics have changed, there will always be a slight change in perception of color" (ref:see FAQ, NHI- SMP)

I've not come across anyone yet who has put this strategy into play.

The director of Good Look Ink in Minnesota has precisely what I want*. Short hair and pigmentation.

I don't like skinheads with SMP because the hairlines look too harsh, but Rassman's info stress the need for very short hair, whilst posting pics of guys with longer hair. Mysterious, but seems to me that the industry is still finding its feet and so contradictory information will be easy enough to find for a while yet.

Edited by scar5
diep not Deip

.. how long you would have to wait to allow the FUE punches to heal before doing SMP over them...

Good question. Why don't you ask Dr. Rassman on his blog or through a direct email?

He clearly supports the idea of putting ink on 'white dots'.

I think this is the best approach for SMP.

I agree, and thanks for the comment.

And same too for N-6, thanks. I agree.

I'm almost ready. I'm satisfied I have enough DHT - resistant hair, growing the right way, in the key areas to pull it off and look very good at the moment if I wear my hair at the correct lengths.

And I'm OK about the dots blurring into a vague greyish blob over the years and with it fading as my hair whitens.

The danger, I see is, with my crown. Whilst I'm doing barely OK with fin and growing the minaturized hair a little longer back there, if I lose much more I will need to buzz all of it off, and I instantly look 10 years older, (without pigmentation).

Now, in that case, the ink may work well at #0 for the crown, but will the scars be sufficiently covered? That scares me but if the worst comes to worst, and the scars don't blend, I'll have to grow the dreaded horseshoe a bit longer at the scars.

Better ask that "Will it Blend" guy on youtube!! lol

As I've said before, ink is not a regulated industry, so any cowboy can mix ink and call it what ever he or she wants, including 'Specially designed for Scalp Micropigmentation'. Same with instruments.

The companies are spinning of course, knowing that no one has a way to falsify their claims yet without a regulatory body and few exposed stories.It's very hard to get any technical information out of them too, and they are coy about their 'special process' for obvious reasons.

So I post here, on the off chance someone knows something and sees it.

Thanks again for your responses.