Whorl or beginnings of loss at crown?

Dcormsby

Hello all. I am 26 years old, and like many other people, I am starting to wonder how long my hair is going to hold out. I have always been extremely fortunate to have thick hair my whole life. I do have baldness in my family (dad and grandfather) and for the last year and a half, I have had been wearing my hair quite long. I recently cut my hair and started paying attention to my crown area. I don't know if I am just making myself worry, so though I would see what you guys think. I have taken a couple of pictures, please see below. One of the pictures is taken with my hair rather wet.

I am just trying to determine if it's just my whorl, or if anyone might see signs of loss. Just trying to determine if I should get on propecia or not.

Also, I have my same hairline since I was in my early 20's.

Thanks in advance,

Damon

hair1.jpg.8b5208b5f0604a10640af7bd7fa21ec1.jpg

hair2.jpg.ca277189ae36b272ef3ce7ce38597774.jpg

hair3.jpg.3a93dbaaa8d5bd8ed9e6ce6f8f776c26.jpg

hair4.jpg.2858b845b54fa2f0db985623127ea7ce.jpg

Your crown looks really good. I don't even see anything wrong with it. Some people pay thousands of dollars to get a crown to look like that, seriously. Under high flash your crown is SOLID it seems.

You do say you have family hair loss history.

However, you mention you have had the same hairline as in your twenties and you are age 26 now. You don't even have hairloss at the crown at this age.

If anything, to be on the safe side, I would only mess with Rogaine. This can help keep your hairs if they are miniturizing and help keep them preserved when you continue to use the product. Some people that lose their hair completely, have a hard time getting their hair back they had if their hair miniturized to the extent that it can't be revived again. You at a young age, may be able to preserve those hairs that are or "could be" on their way out.

Another option is finasteride, but I would consider that only after speaking with a doctor. Because you don't even have signs of actual hairloss, I don't even know if it is wise to take just yet. Definitely, try to get a professional opinion with a doctor regarding the meds.

Eat healthy, and take vitamins, they also can help.

But other then that, your crown looks good to me, it really does.

Dcormsby,

Welcome. I second the opinion that your crown looks just fine at the moment. If I were you, knowing that there is hair loss in my family, I would begin taking photographs about every month just to keep an eye on it. This is really a good way to more objectively track any changes. If you do begin to see thinning, starting hair loss medications early offers the best chance to maintain existing hair.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website