Irish People - Which Hair Transplant Doctor?

cueball35

Hi all, just wondering is there many irish people on this forum who have experienced travelling to canada for a hair transplant? Ive being doing research on hair restoration since about 2007 and feel that to get the job done properly i will need to travel and have chosen Canada as my destination of choice. Since 2007 i have gone to 2 irish clinics namely Conor Kielys clinic in Cork and also Hair Restoration Blackrock in Dublin. I basically ran out of Kielys office as quick as i could, just didnt take to the guy at all. Dr Collins in Dublin was top class though but too expensive for me, i will roughly need 7000 grafts in total over 2 operations and in Dublin this would come to a staggering 70,000 euro or roughly $ 95,000 US dollars!!! Crazy Stuff!!!

So anyways, id be interested in some info from those who may have flown to Canada from ireland, like how long was your stay in Canada after the operation, is the travelling a problem considering you've got staples in the back of your head etc!! Im thinking of maybe flying to London and then flying directly to Canada.

I should add im thinking of either Hasson & Wong or Rahal as my choice of surgeons. Any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Edited by cueball35

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

Hi cueball35

I had my HT with Dr Rahal 3 weeks ago 2mrw. I flew BMI to London and Air Canada to ottawa. Flights cost a total of 400 euro.

I stayed at Foxbar for 4 days post op. I shud hav stayed for the week. My head was still swollen and my eyes wer closed up. Bit of a nightmare.

I highly recommened Dr Rahal. I recieved world class care from him and his team.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply, your HT looks excellent, best of luck with your future growth :)

You got great value with the flights, ive just looked at flying to Vancouver but its costing around 1,200-1,400 euro, will look at Ottawa to see what the story is there. Either way, anyone flying to Canada to get a HT plus hotel accommodation is still miles ahead in terms of cost compared to here in Ireland, thought there was a recession on ( and not just the one on my head!!) guess Blackrock do mostly celeb/rich guys!!

I'll deffo stay in canada for a week to allow for recovery, whats it like going through security at the airport with the staples? Were you able to wear a baseball cap to cover your head? Funnily enough im not worried at all about the actual procedure, i feel confident that in either Rahal or Hasson & Wong i'll be in good hands. Im not looking forward to a week on my own after the procedure though, this must be a very lonely time im sure?

Im 34 and a norwood 5 and ive never taken any meds, bit worried about side effects, do you think its a waste of time to get a HT and not start going on propecia? I just cant see myself taking it for the rest of my days!!!

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

Cueball,

You should get on the meds now to be sure you can tolerate them. That way you'll be able to move forward with a procedure with more confidence for your future. While taking the meds does not mean you will never need another procedure it can and usually does greatly reduce the need for additional work due to continued hair loss.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Jotronic,

Thanks for your reply, im at the stage now where im either going to the doc for a prescription and down the HT route or im going to the barber for a number 1 buzz cut ;)

Lots of thinking going on, its only taking me 5 years!!

Thanks Cueball.

You got great value with the flights, ive just looked at flying to Vancouver but its costing around 1,200-1,400 euro?
Wow 1200-1400. That’s crazy. Try the British Midland site.
thought there was a recession on ( and not just the one on my head!!) guess Blackrock do mostly celeb/rich guys!!
Blackrock’s price of 10 euro a graft is ridiculous. I don’t know how their still in business.
whats it like going through security at the airport with the staples? Were you able to wear a baseball cap to cover your head?
I got a singed letter from Dr Rahal explaining that I had a HT and I needed to leave my hat on for protection. I had no problems.
Im not looking forward to a week on my own after the procedure though, this must be a very lonely time im sure?
I stayed at Foxbar, which is an exclusive guesthouse for patients of Dr. Rahal. I met some really nice people there. We all shared a common interest and it was good to share my story with them and listen to theirs. If you’re going with Rahal, I recommended you stay there.
bit worried about side effects, do you think its a waste of time to get a HT and not start going on propecia?
As Jotronic said, you should try the meds b4 a HT. Like you, I was worried about the side effects but I felt it was worth the risk. I use Proscar and cut it into ?s and have had no sides.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for your help keith and others on this thread, ive made my mind up that i will go ahead and get a HT to concentrate on my hairline and frontal third. I have also just started propecia, rogaine foam and nizoral shampoo and hope that this will improve my crown in time.

I have narrowed down my selection of HT surgeons to Dr Rahal and Dr Feriduni, very impressed with the prompt replies from Dr Rahal's office, not so with Dr Feriduni's office however, but i like this guys work and will wait to see if i get a reply this week, it was the holiday season afterall!

I will update this thread as i go along, it might be of help to somebody out there whos in a similar situation to myself based in ireland.

No prob man,

Good to hear ur on the meds. Rahal and Feriduni are both top docs and wer also my top 2.

I’m sure Feridun’s office will be in touch soon. They usually take about 4-5 days to reply.

Keep us posted

newhairplease: best of luck with your up coming procedure with Dr Rahal, fingers crossed for ya buddie!

You cannot go wrong cueball with the surgeons you have picked.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

hi, ive decided to go with Dr Feriduni, 4000 FUT on 15 March 2012, hopefully this will sort out my hairline, temple points and frontal third, must say im relieved to have finally booked the surgery having thought about this for years!

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice along the way, special shout out to Keith in Dublin for taking the time to private message me with his recommendations and advice, top man

I will post pre and post op pics along the way.......

Im going to stay for 7 nights post op, hopefully any swelling will have gone down by then. I'll probs lock myself into the hotel room for the whole time lol

Im dreading what i look like straight after the procedure, going back to the hotel im sure i'll get some looks!! I notice Dr Rahal patients have a lot of bandaging on the head for the first night. Im sure i'll be the same.Would i get away with wearing a loose fitting baseball cap or a hoodie say 7 days after the op when im due to fly home?

yes mate, its a complete waste of time not to take propecia, unless your just receeding.

you will carry on loosing your native hair and will be chasing the baldness untill you run out of donor.

try it, i've been on it for 3 years and it stopped my loss

• 1 month later...

unfortunately i had to cancel my procedure at the last minute due to a family bereavement but will reschedule for later in the year. I must say their office has been very understanding and i havnt lost out financially with them. To me this proves their class considering they lost out on a whole days surgery and wouldnt have had the time to book somebody else in at such short notice.

hi guys . for any of you irish members or any european members you should consider checking out dr saifi in Poland. i had surgery there in late january. i am extremely happy with the results so far and it is only the week 7 mark. i am extremely confident i will achieve an excellent result. if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. there are other members on here equally happy with there results.

i shall upload some pics soon.