Advice, assessment, please!

Hi All,

This is a fantastic resource! I have just been reading through the site and am impressed with how much combined knowledge and experience there is here.

I have been losing my hair since my mid-20's (now 38), and I think I am a NW2. When I look in the mirror, I just see my forehead growing. I have taken to buzzing to 1/4" because my hair is lighter when it is short, and with less contrast, I think the balding was less conspicuous BEFORE.

At this stage, I have some questions which may or may not have been answered in the FAQ sections, but I either could not find them or was not prepared enough to understand the answers.

1) Is it the same to go into the surgery with a buzz cut, even in the donor area, or is it better to have more growth in the donor area – how much, minimally?

2) Which would be better for post-surgery speed of recovery? I think I am NW2, and may need about 2000 grafts (FUE). IS that right?

3) With a buzz cut or with longer hair, about how long will I have to wear a hat before evidence of surgery is unnoticeable?

4) Based on my photos, which areas would you recommend? Is there an consideration to be made because my hair is lighter in color (darker as it grows out, though)?

5) Given the thickness of my hair, how many grafts per cm2 will I likely need? (My head is 22" in circumference at the forehead)

6) My hair grows flat forward (in waves), not up, and is coarse/thick enough that it cannot be brushed back or up spiked without major product. Should that be taken into account somehow when transplanting follicles? For example, maybe it should be transplanted to grow flatly forward (Ceasar-like)?

7) Can a doctor create a realistic widow's peak, like Jude Law's, at a patient's request?

Thank you kindly for reading and for any response!

Zayne

Edited by zayne

HI zayne, welcome to the forum.

1) Is it the same to go into the surgery with a buzz cut, even in the donor area, or is it better to have more growth in the donor area – how much, minimally?

With the hair longer in the donor area you will be able to cover the sutures and donor scar post op. With it shaved it will be obvious. However, it won't make any surgical difference. For the recipient region it is helpful for the surgeon to work on a shaved head.

2) Which would be better for post-surgery speed of recovery? I think I am NW2, and may need about 2000 grafts (FUE). IS that right?

If you are a NW2 are you sure you need surgery at all? FUE is usually quicker in terms of post-op recovery and maybe a good method for someone like you with minimal loss.

3) With a buzz cut or with longer hair, about how long will I have to wear a hat before evidence of surgery is unnoticeable?

Since you have a lot of native hair your surgery will probably not be too noticeable. Also, your session size will probably be small (about 1K grafts or so?). Everyone heals differently but if you have loads of native hair you can always comb it forward over the recipient area. But if it is shaved the redness may be more visible for a few weeks or months - again, depends on your healing characteristics.

4) Based on my photos, which areas would you recommend? Is there an consideration to be made because my hair is lighter in color (darker as it grows out, though)?

From what I can tell you have a decent hairline and might want to wait it out before doing any surgery. I'd just get on finasteride and keep all that wonderful native hair of yours. Why risk shock loss/transection on a already good head of hair?

5) Given the thickness of my hair, how many grafts per cm2 will I likely need?

Tough to say, get a doctor's opinion on that one.

6) My hair grows flat forward (in waves), not up, and is coarse/thick enough that it cannot be brushed back or up spiked without major product. Should that be taken into account somehow when transplanting follicles? For example, maybe it should be transplanted to grow flatly forward (Ceasar-like)?

A good transplant doctor will match the angling and growth direction of the native hair with your transplanted hair.

Hope all this helps. Again, I don't think you need surgery and it may do you more harm than good at this point. Just get on finasteride to keep what you have. You're a lucky guy.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

HI zayne, welcome to the forum.

From what I can tell you have a decent hairline and might want to wait it out before doing any surgery. I'd just get on finasteride and keep all that wonderful native hair of yours. Why risk shock loss/transection on a already good head of hair?

Hope all this helps. Again, I don't think you need surgery and it may do you more harm than good at this point. Just get on finasteride to keep what you have. You're a lucky guy.

Thank you for the welcome and your response.

I will certainly look into finasteride. I tried to use Rogaine, but I am one of those who can sense the side effects, and I am worried regarding reports of permanent sexual dysfunction associated with those products.

My hair is thick, but my hairline is very high on already large forehead. It makes my head look very oblong, haha.

Zayne

Montreal I have read you asking this same question many times before in other threads and everyone keeps giving you the same answer. YOU HAVE TO GROW YOUR HAIR OUT IN ORDER FOR ANYONE ESPECIALLY A QUALIFIED HT DOCTOR TO TELL YOU HOW MANY GRAFTS YOU WILL NEED. Grow your hair out for 2 months and then ask that question.

Aaron

Excellent response to the opening post! Great answers!

Montreal

You do seem to talk in circles, you bad mouth the industry, pricing, results, etc..then you ask how many grafts you might need? I dont get it! If you are truly here for help, great, if not, move on!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thank you for the welcome and your response.

I will certainly look into finasteride. I tried to use Rogaine, but I am one of those who can sense the side effects, and I am worried regarding reports of permanent sexual dysfunction associated with those products.

My hair is thick, but my hairline is very high on already large forehead. It makes my head look very oblong, haha.

Zayne

No problem - my pleasure to help out. I have never heard of Rogaine causing sexual side effects but it can cause scalp irritation - it did for me. Finasteride has a very low possibility of causing sexual side effects. It really worked for me and it has for most who have tried it. I can speak for many guys here who wish they started the drug sooner than they did.

I personally prefer strip - but if you like to shave down close to the scalp than FUE is probably the best option for you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

zayne you should get fue,this forum is extremely pro strip so its important you know that..for fue you will need to shave your donor and its a great idea to shave your entire head so all your head donor and transplanted area included will all be the same lenght post op.

Fue healing time is like a week to ten days its nothing a WAY less invasive than strip and you can still buzz you hair afterwards so for minimal loss and your first surgery you should get fue imo.

Rahal shapiro bisanga feiriduini are the best for fue.