9 Month Follow up in Two Weeks

Hello my glossy headed brethren,

I am at the 9 month post operation period, and am meeting with my surgeon next Friday to discuss and review my results. I posted a new album last night.

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos

I am very disappointed with the results, as I was led to believe that I would achieve my desired results with the number of grafts I received; 1500. According to many forum members, and two other Doctors I have consulted with since, have said I needed at least twice the amount of grafts to get my desired results. All I wanted was a mature hairline, with a good amount of density behind it. Basically a dense frontal third.

I described my desired results to him, and he recommended the 1500 graft procedure. Other than poor planning, and not enough grafts; he did excellent and refined work. I was by no means butchered, but I am still unhappy with the results. I expressed my disappointment in August, and he said that if I was still unhappy at December's consult, we would work something out for a second procedure.

This is where I need help. I am not sure how to approach the subject without insulting him, but I need to express how displeased I am with the results. I thought I was going to achieve my desired results with the first procedure, but that veil was pulled from over my eyes a few months after the procedure and saw the lack of density. That is heartbreaing for a HT patient. Now, in order to achieve my desired results, it will require a second operation. I don't want to have to go through that all over again, but I will need to in order to get what I want and paid for.

He said he would work with me on the cost, but we didn't discuss to what extent. How do my fellow forum members feel that I should approach the financial aspect of it. My funds are somewhat limited now, and I do feel that a doctor should stand behind his work and make sure he has a satisfied patient. That being said, I feel a hefty discount is in order. Look at it this way, I am unhappy with my results, I have to go through the discomfort of a second procedure, I won't be going on vacation this year as a result, so instead of being on a tropical island, I will be home sleeping in my recliner in the cold gloomy weather, and will have to take time off of work. Time I can use toward something else, and more enjoyable. But I am willing to go through all of this again to have the hair I want.

How much of a price break should I seek and expect? Another 1500 grafts will make all the difference, and my quality of life will improve exponentially; but I paid for that already, and was seriously let down. I strongly feel he needs to make it up to me.

I appreciate all of your feedback, and the sooner I get it, the better, my follow up is coming very soon.

-Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Fake

I got your instant messages but couldn't respond on my iPhone. I think your hair line looks pretty good. 1500 more grafts should make a huge difference! I would be VERY upfront with your surgeon about what you want!!! He will not be insulted, you are the patient, if he thinks it's to aggressive he will let you know. As far as discount, let him bring his price first, who knows, may be more than you were expecting. Good luck!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I am not sure. Does your doc work off a sliding scale? If he does, the minimum discount should be that you pay on that sliding scale. If he charges 5 dollars for the first 1500 grafts and 3.75 for everything after, you should only pay 3.75 for all additional grafts for this session. Does this make sense? If you got good yield and are upset about the planning, you should be careful about being too aggressive in demands, but you should not pay any financial penalty because of his poor graft estimation.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am not sure. Does your doc work off a sliding scale? If he does, the minimum discount should be that you pay on that sliding scale. If he charges 5 dollars for the first 1500 grafts and 3.75 for everything after, you should only pay 3.75 for all additional grafts for this session. Does this make sense? If you got good yield and are upset about the planning, you should be careful about being too aggressive in demands, but you should not pay any financial penalty because of his poor graft estimation.

I believe he does operate on a sliding scale, obviously I'd like to get a bigger discount than that, simply for all that's involved in a second procedure, and what I'd be sacrificing, when it should have been done the first time under the scalpel. But you think that is a fair price? I will certainly not pay anymore than that. Thank you Spanker. And I appreciate the feedback Newhairplease.

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts