How long after op to wait before dying hair

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would wait as long as possible. I believe in babying your investment but I think you should ask your own doctor what he thinks.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

lokingforsolution

There is no magical answer to when patients can start dying their hair. The reason for this is that each patient heals at a different rate. I have some patients who come back 10 days after their surgery and their incision and recipient sites look like they have healed; I have others that need a little more time to heal.

The instructions I give patients are to wait until the transplanted hairs have gone through their initial shock period ??“ usually four to six weeks. By that time, I know that the grafts are firmly in place and exchanging their blood supply. The problem with hair coloring and the dying process is that different hair stylists will use several chemical compounds to dye the hair and I don't want any risk of injury to the hair follicles with outside chemicals. My advice is always: be patient!!

The same is true for wearing helmets. In the Northwest, this is skiing and snowboarding time (and this season we've had incredible snow at Mt Hood, Mt Bachelor, and Mt Rainier) and several of my patients are anxious to get back on the slopes with their helmets. Again, I ask them to be patient and wait 4 ??“ 6 weeks, at the earliest, so their hairs are firmly in place. I also tell them to ski/snowboard as much as possible before the transplant so they don't feel they are missing the entire ski season waiting for their hair transplant to heal.

I hope this provides a little better insight into your question.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I remember an instance, where my mother dyed her hair and the dye migrated into her scalp and down into her face, darkening her complexion (for a few weeks). We need to be careful.

Bleaching via hydrogen peroxide, should be something that we must be careful about also.

take care...

Hairdoyle

I ask my patients, if they are going to color their hair, to do it 1 - 2 weeks prior so all of the chemicals that may do any damage are long gone from the scalp.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.