Considering Hair Transplant without Propecia

Hello Everyone,

Long story short...after a year of research and careful consideration, I have decided to go for a hair transplant. I am in my mid twenties, and I am somewhere between a 3A and 3V on the norwood scale. I have met with the "best" surgeons in my area for a consultation, and I have settled on a clinic that has a great reputation among the forum here. And after speaking with some of these surgeons, a few of them recommended that I get on Propecia and stay on it to stabilize my hair loss.

So I took their advice, and I tried Propecia out for about three weeks. Problem with it is, that I begin to experience a DEFINITE problem with the old fella downstairs if you know what I mean. It started after the first few days of use, and persisted for awhile while I was still taking it, even until at least about a week when I got off of it. I spoke with my family doc about it, and he recommended that I stay off of it as well. Call it a placebo effect or whatever you want, but for a guy that NEVER had a problem in that area, this scared the ever-loving daylights out of me...now I do care about my hair loss, but my manhood is more precious to me. So I am deciding to stay off Propecia, and I wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that is at same hairloss level as I am, and stopped taking finasteride either before or after they had a transplant, and were still able to keep their native hair for the most part. I realize that everybody is going to have a different experience, but I just want to get the general consensus out there. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Having the procedure without propecia is fine, but it is certainly recommended to use rogaine (minoxidil) to help keep as much native hair as possible. Since you had the side effects with propecia you shouldn't consider using it again, but rogaine is a safe topical foam that is a DHT inhibiter just like propecia but without those potential side effects. That medication will most likely not help the hairline but it works very well on top and the crown of your head. It should help you stop further hair loss and can regrow dormant hair. It usually takes at least 6 months to notice any difference so you do need to be consistent about it and use it daily. Without using medication you still can have the procedure but you will most likely go on to lose much more native hair and your surgeon will have to take that into account when designing your hairline, because he will have to be slightly more conservative to accommodate the anticipated hair loss in the future.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians