Weightlifting accelerating Hair Loss?

logitech69

Has anyone heard that if a person is already losing hair, weighlifting or other exercise only speeds up the loss because of the increase in testestorone?

Do you think Finesteride would be of any benefit or the working out will increase more testorone than Finesteride can reverse in terms of DHT?

No, that is not correct. An increase in testosterone does not cause hairloss. It's when Testostorone converts to DHT. It does this in all men, however, the lucky one aren't affected by DHT and get to keep thier precious locks forever.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I'm just a bit confused on this. I understand that Testosterone converts into DHT and so if i am already balding because this conversion is happening in my body and if i work out where working out increases testosterone won't it be that there will be more testosterone which will be converted to DHT?

Would finesteride help in such a case or should i stop lifting weights and take finesteride but if i work out then no point in finesteride since there will be too much conversion happening for finesteride to control?

Has anyone heard that if a person is already losing hair, weighlifting or other exercise only speeds up the loss because of the increase in testestorone?

Do you think Finesteride would be of any benefit or the working out will increase more testorone than Finesteride can reverse in terms of DHT?

I've been weight training on and off semi-seriously for the last 8-10 years.

Periods of time during which I have built the most muscle mass, have directly coincided with the periods of time that I've experienced the most hair loss.

Take from that what you will.

(I have never used steroids or any strong anabolic supplements, and in the last 2-3 years I haven't used any supplements at all.)

I'm just a bit confused on this. I understand that Testosterone converts into DHT and so if i am already balding because this conversion is happening in my body and if i work out where working out increases testosterone won't it be that there will be more testosterone which will be converted to DHT?

Would finesteride help in such a case or should i stop lifting weights and take finesteride but if i work out then no point in finesteride since there will be too much conversion happening for finesteride to control?

Weight training has different effects on different men. Some men can bulk up and their hair won't change. Others will notice an increase in the speed of their loss.

The only way to find out is to test it for yourself, and determine if weightlifting has a negative effect.

In my case, if I lift weights every other day, I don't have much of an issue. But for a while there I was in the gym every day M-F, and I had to stop and go back to every other day - because I was noticeably increasing in falling hair.

Sugarhighs, this is what i've read and have kind of noticed in the last year where once I have started lifting weights regularly my crown got noticeablly thinner compared to the rate it was thinning before. It was much less noticeable in the past years even though i have been losing hair for more than 5 years now.

Did you try Finesteride?

I wonder if aerobic type exercise such as running would also speed up hair loss.

Sugarhighs, this is what i've read and have kind of noticed in the last year where once I have started lifting weights regularly my crown got noticeablly thinner compared to the rate it was thinning before. It was much less noticeable in the past years even though i have been losing hair for more than 5 years now.

Did you try Finesteride?

I wonder if aerobic type exercise such as running would also speed up hair loss.

Hi Logi -

Yes, I have been on Fin since ~1999. I'm sure it has helped to an extent - and if you are not on it, I would get on it (after consulting a doctor who agrees you're a good candidate.)

As far as I know, aerobic exercise has a negligible effect on testosterone/DHT production. Everything I've read indicates that cardio exercise is good for your hair as it promotes blood circulation. It's best to test for yourself and find out what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Logi,

Weightlifting alone will not increase your levels of testosterone. If you are taking sometime of testosterone supplements then there is a possibility it will increase, but not weightlifting by itself.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

If you do lose hair its only the hair that you are programmed to lose anyway, so would you rather have a few more hairs and man boobs and a beer gut or get ripped and get a good body but have a few less hairs?

Atleast this way if you are considering getting a HT at any point youll have a better understand of how may grafts youd need to satisfy youe expectations.

Interesting that the "exercising" men showed a notable (I think it said ~14%?) increase in DHT at the 3 month mark over the control group of inactive men.

Also interesting that the study only examined cardiovascular exercise! I'm inclined to believe that weight lifters would have seen a higher rise in DHT than men who did cardio exercise only - but they didn't test that.

It logically stands to reason, though.

I personally not sure about a correlation between weight training and hair loss.

For me personally, I used to train heavy 5times a week, diet 6 days a week( 6 meals a day),supplement, when i was training to be fitness model for a period of 1 year.

I personally didn't notice much difference to be honest in that extreme period and i have been weight training since the age of 14 and now i am 26.

I must admit, i have cut down now but haven't noticed any difference in hair loss.

There are plenty of bodybuilders who extreme diet all year round, pump themselves full of steroids for tens of years and train twice a day and some have perfect heads of hair, on top of all the powerlifters, rugby,soccer,american footballers who all weight train regularly for years.

The rate of anyones hairloss can not be exactly predicted by any of the leading experts, so to throw more variables into the mix such as stress, diet, fitness training,hair combing etc etc will make it even more complicated.

Then again, i could be wrong :)

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Logi,

Weightlifting alone will not increase your levels of testosterone.

Go to All About Testosterone website for gems like,

:eek:start

increases in plasma testosterone commonly observed following a hard weight-training session are not just the result of increased production of testosterone from the testes, but also from a reduction in its clearance (blood flow to the liver and kidneys is reduced during exercise)

:eek:finish

Boy, we have come along way. Just a few years ago, suggesting weights and increased hairloss were even related was tantamount to treason in the name of all things wholesome and Godly. Now more and more posters are openly conceding that weight-training and increased hairloss are not, horror, unrelated, for those of us lucky types prone to MPB.

Of course it's a balancing act. Who wants to be in a semi-coma to keep their hair? Obviously no one, but it is refreshing that we don't talk in absolutes anymore!

They should make a Propecia-Whey powder. I can see it now, ProWhey.

Now that IS a scarey thought.

Edited by scar5

I honestly don't think the experts even know enough about male pattern baldness as it stands.

Do they even know yet why the sides and back is resistant to loss?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.