donor scar width

chix

Hi all,

I was wondering - by what time post-op can one expect the donor strip scar to have reached maturity and widened as much as it will, that is, it will not widen any more?

Any thoughts

chix

Hi bud

I had 2100 crown grafts in 2007 , i took these pics , in the link to show my scar width after a year , take a look , i hope this helps

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/144292-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-new-close-up-scar-pics-trichophytic-closure-scaled-pics.html

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

I have seen a few rare cases where a scar widened between 6 months and 1 year. However, I always wondered if the patients exercise program may have been a contributing factor. I usually tell patients at one year you will know what the final scar will look like.

Comparing to for example a caesarean I'm actually quite impressed with the healing time, as I've seen it becoming gradually better both after two and three years getting more the same colour as the rest of the skin back (less red). Is the shorter healing time related to thre triclosure technique, or becuase the scalp has different parameters?

Newhairplease and Dr. Charles are correct. Hence I see people about 5 weeks out and have a good guess if they will have a decent scar, but once in a while a great scar at 5 weeks looks mediocre at a year. Not common but it does occur.

If its looks bad at 5 weeks....odds are it won't be a great scar. Lumpiness and redness will go, but a wide scar never compresses.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey...when do u recommend someone being able to workout again? Or basically how long before you can do activities in that your scar won't be affected?

As I've posted many times, our patients can do any activity they want except abdominal crunches, and bench presses with arching on my scars, at day 7. But ask the guy who sewed you up as they may have different thoughts.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 weeks later...

You should know how it's going to look around 4 months. The scar should be faded back to normal color by then, and should give you a real idea of how it will look.

Thanks Dr. Alexander - I'm almost 6 months post-op and my scar is about 2 mm at the ends and 1 mm at the back and all through. Its completely faded out at the back and is very light pink at the two ends/sides. I had tricho closure so hairs are grwing through. Do you think I can expect any further improvement or this will be about it? Also, what are the chances of it stretching further at this point?

regards,

chix