Concerned about hair loss.

jonnykino

Hey there,

So, I realise that I've probably met a few of you via different forums... specifically mattj and Spex, so I do apologise for making yet another new thread about my hair... but it's really pissing me off now. It's constantly plaguing my mind. I really shouldn't even be here based on the advice I've received from both mattj and Spex, but I guess my thought process and obsession has taken over.

Alright, for those who have no idea, I've got OCD, and my main obsession now is losing my hair. It's literally something I check everyday, at every free minute I get. It started when there was a picture taken of me from behind, and the flash lit up my hair and it looked as though I was losing it. Then my worries got worse when a friend of mine said, whilst I was sitting underneath a bright light, that he could see a bit of my scalp.

So that's when I got absolutely terrified about losing my hair. It's gotten worse the past week or so that I'm even thinking about it whilst I'm out with friends. I'm out in a club or whatever, and instead of going up to girls, I go to the toilet and look at my hair in a mirror. I mean seriously... who does that?

Originally, I was very concerned about my crown and the top of my hair. After numerous posts to different forums, I came to the conclusion that my hair was fine and there was nothing to be worried about. My scalp is inflamed due to a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis, and anxiety, and since my hair is blonde, the scalp can be a bit more noticeable. I've also got a natural parting coming from my crown, apparently. Then, in the past week or so, for some unknown reason, I decided to check my hairline. Again, I'd posted pictures on other forums before, and was told that I was a 'Norwood 1', but this time my fears were far more intense. I posted yet more pictures to various forums, with some pictures of me from a few years ago, and according to various posters, my hairline hasn't changed since I was 18, which is about the time a 'mature hairline' starts. And a 'mature' hairline is normal for every man, even for those who will never suffer from hair loss... apparently.

Still, it's still permanently on my mind. I've scheduled an appointment for some therapy for my OCD, so am hoping once I've started that, the constant thoughts will stop. I've also considered going to a trichologist, but I've spoken to my parents, who both say that my hair hasn't changed since I was a kid and that's it's just my OCD making me over-worry, and they don't think there's any point going to see one. I've also spoken to my GP who checked my hair and she said the same thing.

I guess, all I want is some piece of mind. I mean, I wouldn't be too bothered if my hair started to recede or whatever when I was in my 50's or 60's or something, that's only normal... but not at 21.

Anyway, I've got the pics from the forums here, there's a lot. Two pages worth. Figured the more the merrier in determining whether my worries are all in my head :).

http://photobucket.com/kinohair2011

And then pictures of my hairline from a few years ago.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/superxao/2001-2008.jpg

Have I got anything to worry about at all? How is my hairline and crown?

For those who have come across me before, and are most likely sick of seeing me, I am sorry.

Thanks.

You aren't a bother at all. Hair loss is a real fear for many men and women alike. But your hair looks really good. Great hairline and all. People with light colored fine hair may show more scalp than a coarse haired person, but I don't see any loss on you. Some people suggest taking pictures every 6 months and comparing. Then if you see loss you've caught it early and you can start being proactive with Finasteride.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You show absolutely zero signs of hairloss as far as I can see!

Hopefully you'll find a way to deal effectively with the fears of hairloss combined with the OCD. The good news is that your fears are totally unfounded - there really isn't any suggestion you have any loss. I know it's not as easy as simply saying "don't worry" but you have to make sure as best as possible you don't fall victim to fears over hairloss because you don't want to get consumed by the worry, especially when it has no foundation!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's like everyone I ask tells me that I have no hair loss, and that I have nothing to worry about, but I dunno, I'm overly conscious of my temples. It used to be of my crown, but now am more concerned about any temple recession. I've even started looking at other peoples hair, to try and gauge my hairline against theirs.

I've just had my haircut, and I pulled my hair back to check my hairline again, and to see if I can see any miniaturisation... and I don't really know what am looking for. Because my hair is blonde, am unable to see if any of the hairs are thinner. The majority of them appear to be of the same length as the rest of the hairs on my fringe, bar a couple which are shorter... but then I dunno whether that's just because I've had my hair cut.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's like everyone I ask tells me that I have no hair loss, and that I have nothing to worry about, but I dunno, I'm overly conscious of my temples. It used to be of my crown, but now am more concerned about any temple recession. I've even started looking at other peoples hair, to try and gauge my hairline against theirs.

I've just had my haircut, and I pulled my hair back to check my hairline again, and to see if I can see any miniaturisation... and I don't really know what am looking for. Because my hair is blonde, am unable to see if any of the hairs are thinner. The majority of them appear to be of the same length as the rest of the hairs on my fringe, bar a couple which are shorter... but then I dunno whether that's just because I've had my hair cut.

Something you have to bear in mind is that mild temple recession could just be the development of a "mature" hairline. A mature hairline is NOT hairloss - the overwhelming majority of men who don't bald still see some very mild recession in their temples (NW2 on the Norwood scale). You will find very, very few men that don't experience at least a bit of temple recession at some point in their lives.

As it stands I can't even see any temple recession from the photos, but even if you could see some this is not indicative of MPB. I wouldn't worry about it at all, you clearly have masses of hair and no evidence of real balding.

hey, thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it :). I think it's pretty safe to say I am just being overly concerned about nothing, which is a relief.

Thanks for the link Spex, I'll give it a read! Flipping hate all this worry.

I think the worst part is, because I'm so concerned, I post the same topic on about 4 other different forums, just to get a varied response I guess. I get told it's fine by the majority of people, then I check another forum and they tell me something different, and it sends me into a downward spiral. Like I checked one of the other forums just then, and it's essentially the same thread as the one posted here, three replies tell me my hair is fine, and that it's just my OCD controlling me, then two of them tell me to get on fin because it looks like I could be a diffuse thinner. How could they possibly tell that, when I don't have any thinning? It doesn't make sense.

You don't appear to be a diffuse thinner, your hair is a little thin, but that just means you do not have course hair. You have a great hairline. Your hair can mature up to your late 20's. depending on the person.

I really feel that pics are not going to be as accurate as you being honest with yourself.

You can look at your own hair in very fine detail and tell what is going on. Especially in the temples and hairline. I noticed in very fine detail at the age of about 21 that I would receed. I am about to be 33 and my temples and hairline are starting to break up in the first 1.5 cm.

What good did I do myself worrying a decade over something I cannot change?

None.

Be honest with yourself, that is the only way to stay ahead of things.

You could also buzz your hair like in the picture labeled 2001. That should tell you the whole story if you are having any doubts.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

SORRY FOR ANOTHER BIG ASS POST

Thanks for the reply :D. That's another thing that bugs me, barbers and the like HATE cutting my hair, because they always say my hair is very thick, so I've always presumed my hair was thick, even though it's blonde. Whatever, though.

I think because I'm still not fully sure how a receding hairline works (even though mattj on baldtruthtalk.com explained it to me), and I don't really know what to check for, I analyse my hair and see the worst. Like, I have a slight widow's peak. According to my parents I've always had it, but if this is the case, I've never noticed it until I started looking at my hairline this year. And because of this widow's peak, my hair seems to take the shape of a slight 'V', because the sides angle up slightly and the very front is slightly further down my forehead than the sides, which I always presumed was the shape of a receding hairline. I just don't understand what a receding hairline is. I know what a receded one is, I just don't know what the beginnings of one looks like. I don't really fully understand what a maturing/mature hairline is either.. I mean, as far as I can tell, the shape of my hairline... at least the temples, are the same as those pics I posted from back in 2008... which is a good sign, right? But then again... I hear all this talk about miniaturising hairs and I get more confused.

I was reading about 'mature hairlines' on another forum, and some guy had a close up of his hair. His had finer, shorter hairs at the edge of his hairline and claimed that it was due to a bad hair cut. He was told that these were miniaturised hairs. His hair was dark and it was easy to tell if the hairs were shorter or thinner... but my hair is naturally blonde, and as such, single hairs can be hard to see, unless I'm in the right light. I've checked my hairline up close, and as far as I can tell the hairs are all longer, and appear to be the same thickness as the other hairs on my head. I have a couple of smaller ones up near the 'peak' on my widows peak... but I dunno if that means anything.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb353/zingxao/Hair%202011/hair.jpg

There's a few pics of my hairline (even though you've all already seen it... so I dunno what my intention is having those pics, but, there's also a couple of other ones of the hairs at the very front of my hairline. Do they look miniaturised, or normal in comparison to my other hairs?

The thing is, because I only started being worried about my hair when I was 20, and it doesn't seem to have changed all that much since, I don't know whether anything has changed. I mean, my hair FEELS the same. I don't remember having rounded, juvenile temples, but then I never took notice. Same with my crown, I remember being told by my best friend at the time that my crown was quite 'large'... but I was about 15 or so, then. And I don't think it's changed. My scalp is very red because I have, I think, seborrheic dermatitis, and my scalp is scabby/flaky... but I remember it being like that even in primary school. I had little scabs at the back of my head and never thought anything of it. My scalp would also get very itchy, much like it does now, and I remember that happening in high school.

Lol, the picture were my hair is shaved.... that was a complete accident. I doubt I'd ever do it again. Mainly because I have a small head/face, and look young for my age, and I just didn't suit it.

Another basis for my worrying is the fact I have low confidence, and if I were to lose my hair, I dunno how well my confidence would recover from it, you know? As well as that, I feel it would knock my chances with girls.

Regarding my family history, my dad has a receded hairline, it started when he was in his mid 40's, but wasn't really noticeable till he was in his 50's. He's 60 now, but to be fair, his hair isn't too bad. I'd probably put him around Norwood 3A/4A. He's got a 'tuft' left for his forelock. Crown is intact. His hair is completely different to mine though. He has/had dark brown curly hair. The other males in my family, my uncle (through marriage) is a Norwood 5. Two of his sons have some hair loss, one being a, I'm guessing a diffuse thinner, since he has a hairline, albeit with a whispy fringe/bangs, and coverage. It's just thin up top. He's 30. The other is about a Norwood 3 Vertex. He's 39. They both have dark hair. My uncles other two sons have full heads of hair. One being 37 with dark hair, the other being 23 with dark blonde curly hair. My other cousins from different parts of the family have full heads of hair, although one, aged 40 shaves his... always has, so it's hard to determine.. but as far as I can tell he has a full head. My mum's dad died aged 79 with a Norwood.... I'd say 4. Bit of a bald spot, thin up front, but enough to grow it longer and have it over to the side. He still had a full head in, at least his 40's. I dunno when he started losing his hair. My dad's dad, I don't really know. He died in his 40's, but according to my dad, he lost his hair quite early, but I don't know how early and to what Norwood. His hair was dark, also. My great uncle is aged 89, and when he was younger he had blonde curly hair, but lost his hair in his late 20's. According to both him and my mum it was due to the fact he saw horrible stuff in the war which contributed to it falling out. He's now a Norwood 6. That's all I know regarding to the men I'm related to.

But anyway, I digress. I started worrying a year ago, so, although some are webcam shots, here's some pics of my hairline and crown/top of hair from a year ago.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/superxao/hairline.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/superxao/crowns.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7565/attachmentxb.jpg (hair is wet, looks worse than it is)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/superxao/harrrlyne.jpg

Again, sorry for yet another long post. I know I've been told not to worry and that my hair is fine... but yeah... sorry if it bugs anyone! I just feel if I knew for definite what I was looking for I'd stop worrying so much. Because I'm kind of, in the dark, as it where, it makes things worse, you know?

Thanks again.

- Jonny

Edited by jonnykino

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick message to you all since I didn't reply last time I was on, and after reading Spex's last message. I felt a bit rude not doing so.

It's still an on going fear I have, and I do check a lot, but I've now started seeing a psychiatrist type woman to hopefully help with my obsessions. She knows I have a fear of losing my hair.

Also, during the last time I was on here, I posted pics of my hair to Balding Blog and asked one of the docs who make posts to check them out. Checked it the other week, and low and behold, there were two pics of my hair on the forum, as well as a message from one of the doc's. He also said my hairline is fine, and I'm probably seeing something different than what everyone else see's since I'm over-analysing it.

Either way, hopefully now I was can stop worrying so much!

So yeah, cheers for the replies everyone - especially Spex... you've dealt with me before (on The Bald Truth) so you're probably a bit sick of seeing pics of my hair, lol, but yeah, cheers for the help and advice mate, I appreciate it!