Newbie questions

imtaylor

Hi all,

I hit 40 this year and so decided to sort myself out! Bought a motorbike, getting into rallying, stop smoking and lose a stone or two! Also on the list, get hair loss sorted out!

I've had a brief look round this site for a couple of hours today, there certainly seems to be loads of really great info on all subjects. However, I have a few questions..

I've decided i want surgery for my hair loss. Most of the recommended doctors seem to be in the USA? I appreciate this is an American site but there only seems to be one recommendation of a guy in London for the whole of the uk? Does anyone know how the costs of surgery in the US compare to the UK? I seem to remember reading a post (which unfortunately, i can't find now!) where a guy travelled to Canada, spent $5k and the cost was comparable (including travel and hotels etc) to the UK? Would that be right?

Second, my wife heard something on the radio the other day about some sort of new "miracle" treatment involving some sort of plant extract? Its apparently going to the testing stage but could "revolutionise" hair loss treatement? Does anyone know anything about this?

i think thats about all my questions for now - there is clearly a lot more reading to do on the subject.

thanks.

Ian

I can answer the one about the plant extract, NO. It's not happening. I have surgery scheduled in Canada with Dr Rahal and I'm from the Southeast US. Stay on this site and look and read! You will find a surgeon right for you! Only pick from one of the doctors recommended on this site!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Yes.....do thorough research. It is not uncommon for people to do research for several months or even a year or two before deciding what to do. Narrow your choices down to about 4 or 5 top surgeons and consult with all of them. Then decide which one you think is right for you.....not what someone else thinks is right for you. I would not let travel concern you. Most clinics have some sort of travel allowance or discount for travel and people travel across the world to go to the doctor of their choice. I went from Florida to Minnesota for mine. It is a big decision and one that you will want to be comfortable with. I also recommend that you don't get caught up in people saying this doctor or that doctor is "the best". You do need to choose from among top doctors like those on this site, but once you narrow it to a group of top doctors, you need to pick one who has the approach you like and who makes you comfortable. When you choose from among top doctors they will all give you the best chance for an optimum outcome. Good luck in your search and decision making process!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Two things you should know.

1. Getting your hair loss sorted out isn't as easy as buying a new motorbike. It is a long and hard journey.

2. Don't go for the cheapest option. Would you rather pay less for an average HT or pay a bit more and get a world class one?

Remember, you will have to live with the results for the rest of your life. You can't put a HT on Autotrader if you're not happy with it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies.

I won't be going into this lightly, otherwise I would have gone to the first name in the Yellow Pages!

El Nino - I see you are UK based, can you share why you went to Dr Rahal? I've taken an interest in him myself and also could you share why you had two visits a couple of years apart? Which other clinics / Doctors did you see in the UK before going for Dr Rahal?

Spending the money is not a (major) issue - like you say, I'd much rather pay a bit more and get a first class job done, I firmly believe in you get what you pay for.

thanks.

No probs Ian.

I went to Dr. Rahal because he is a compassionate and caring man. He is also the most artistically gifted and best dense pack Surgeon on the planet, IMO of course.

I had two procedure 3 years apart because I still had some native hair in my crown prior to my first. I then lost this which made my HT look thinner so I returned to add density and to go further down the back of my crown.

I never consulted in person with any UK Doctors. I knew just by looking at pics on the web that they would not be capable of filling my bald crown in.

Hope this helps, if you have more Qs just ask mate.

Edited by El Nino
Typo.

I know of one hairloss/hair transplant forum with a British owner and high number of British members, and the same doctors are discussed there as here.

There is the Farjo clinic which is recommended, but the other clinics don't have patients posting their own experiences online, leaving only their website content to make a judgement on.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Farjo clinic appears to be doing solid work these days. Rahal is an amazing doctor and worth the travel. With your level of loss I'd also look into H&W as you're going to need a lot of grafts.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com