should I be experiencing shockloss in non-recipient area?

I am 2 weeks out from a procedure at Shapiro Medical and so far everything is healing well. Virtually no visible redness or scabbing in the recipient area.

One thing I noticed, though, is when I apply Rogaine foam to the very back of my head, quite a few hairs come off in my hand, noticeably moreso than before the surgery. But, all of my grafts were at the front hairline. Anyone know why I'd be experiencing shockloss outside the recipient area?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

How long have you been using rogaine? It's normal to see increased shedding with rogaine around 2-4 months of usage so that could be the reason you're seeing that. Otherwise you shouldn't be getting shock loss in that area, unless it was somewhat close to that spot.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've been using Rogaine for 5-6 years, although I stopped for the last 2 weeks because of the surgery, and started up again today.

My Hairloss Blog »

It's difficult to say what's causing the shedding in the crown. You only started Rogaine again today. Why don't you hold off for another week. Keep an eye on the shedding in the next week without Rogaine. Shock loss due to surgery can occur in non transplanted areas but its generally temporary unless those hairs were weak hairs that were on the way out anyways.

Here's what I posted in another thread -

One of my biggest worries about getting another surgery was the degree of shockloss and whether there would be a net gain. Transplant doctors always tell you, "you might shed hair you were going to lose anyway"... but that might refer to hair that might've taken another year or two to shed. Whereas with surgery, it sheds immediately and might not come back. I guess like anyone, I'm hoping to end up with more than before the surgery, not the same amount (or less).

I'm wondering why shockloss would occur in a non-recipient region unless it's from the scalp being pulled during surgery or from the numbing injections. In any case, I could hold off another week on the Rogaine.

My Hairloss Blog »

Shockloss can be attributed to a number of things, the biggest being the overall trauma caused by the surgery.

And yes, shockloss can potentially happen in the donor area as well although rare.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

And yes, shockloss can potentially happen in the donor area as well although rare.

I'm not speaking of the donor area, I'm talking about the crown, where no work was done.

My Hairloss Blog »

I'm not speaking of the donor area, I'm talking about the crown, where no work was done.

It can happen anywhere as the entire scalp sustains trauma regardless of where the "work" was done. I even have observed it occur with facial hair being shocked from a HT procedure. That is extremely rare but has happened.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY