a hair loss & surgery wiki - good idea?

multiplier

A lot of the same questions get asked by newbies over and over on the forums. It sure would be nice to point them to specific text that answers their questions, especially a document we could all edit and fact-check.

Does a comprehensive, quintessential wiki exist for hair loss and HT surgery? Could one be set up on the hairrestorationnetwork domain?

I believe the entire hair loss community could benefit from this - patients, doctors, everyone.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

multiplier,

I think this is a compelling idea but would certainly be a undertaking. Currently, anyone researching for information on hair loss and hair restoration can find a wealth of information by searching the forum and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog. In addition, we also have frequently asked questions sections on all of our websites.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are discussing how we can make this information more accessible to those who need it most.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

A few wikipedia pages about hair transplantation currently exist. I've never really referenced the content, but it looks fairly extensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_transplantation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follicular_unit_transplantation

Follicular Unit Extraction

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

A few wikipedia pages about hair transplantation currently exist.

I'm speaking of something the community could edit which gets much deeper into the details of getting a transplant, what to expect, post-op care, and so forth.

Currently, anyone researching for information on hair loss and hair restoration can find a wealth of information by searching the forum and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog. In addition, we also have frequently asked questions sections on all of our websites.

It's less than ideal, though. It requires blind searching for keywords or scrolling around a page.

Let's say someone has questions about pitting in the scalp. They would have to slog through a bunch of search results or other irrelevant topics to find what they need. The whole advantage of a wiki is that every concept (ex: "pitting") has its own unique page and unique URL.

So the next time a newbie asks, you could just point them here, for example -

hairrestorationnetwork.com/wiki/pitting

It would make HRN a much more easily searched and indexed resource of information. Plus, a lot of the terminology would be clearer and all hyperlinked to each other. An app like MediaWiki is fairly easy to set up, too.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

• Administrators

Hi all,

We have looked at the creation of a Wiki site in the past and it certainly does have it's merits. When a resource like this is published, it may also become the target of spam, as we have just seen - I just deleted and removed a user that posted a whole lot of spam links.

While it is a great idea, it does take up a huge amount of time and resource to manage, so that it is truly a useful site. We can certainly take are-look at the possibility and look at how the process will be managed and supported.

Hans

Webmaster