Had FUT Scar Revision Surgery: Looks worse than the first time

desertboy

Pretty much sums it up. I'm feeling pretty bummed right now. I guess I had high hopes that it would look at least a little better. I even did all the massaging techniques like I was told but I guess it didn't help.

The first couple of weeks the scar looked really good and minimal. But each subsequent week it has stretched more and more.

Before I only had white visible scarring on the sides of my head visible with a #2 guard. Now after the revision surgery I have a complete ear to ear white smile highly visible even with a #5 guard and the smile is kinda uneven. It's noticeable in the back of my head too whereas before it wasn't. Even my barber says it looks like it got worse instead of better which isn't a good sign from someone usually so optimistic.

I've been trying to cover it up a bit with Dermatch but the stuff looks ashy when it dries. I went to a wedding this past weekend with Dermatch on and my aunts scolded me for what they said appears I was wearing a baseball cap before showing up (you guys know what I'm talking about).

It's been 3 months and the smooth white scar tissue has shown its ugly self. I feel once the scar gets that smooth white look there is no hope. Am I over-reacting? Is 3 months too soon to jump to conclusions?

I thought about getting micro pigmentation but after consulting a HT doctor in Los Angeles he said I would still have that really obvious "baseball cap looking step," and the scar would still be very visible.

I know some people have told me to just grow my hair longer. I guess I could but my hair is coarse and it doesn't look good when it's too long and bushy.

Anyone else have bad luck with FUT scar repair? Did you go the FUE route?

I'm thinking FUE but financially money is tight right now so it's just bad timing and I don't want to take out another loan.

PS: I'm leaving pics and my doctor's name out of this discussion for now. I don't want to embarrass him or myself. He says I'm a poor healer.

I feel for you in your plight. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with any type of surgery, and in particular, the best predictor of poor scarring is.....previous poor scarring.

We do lots of scar cases, and I post lots of scar pictures. Having done gobs of facial plastic surgery, I feel that I can sew better than most. But that doesn't always mean that I get great scars.

Scar results generally are related to part patient physiology, part doctor skill, and probably part luck.

Patients with a family history of poor scarring, or who are in demographic groups more likely to have wide scars, blacks and asians, are at increased risk for poor scars whether a virgin head or a revision.

Doctor skill and limiting skin edge tension by a variety of techniques definitely plays a role too. Entire books are written on this subject, but in summary, if you can limit the pull on the skin edges, either by a skinny strip or by deep sutures, or both, you'll decrease the risk, but not eliminate it, of getting wide scars.

Now your plight calls to mind a fellow that I did a scar revision on 8 months ago or so. He'd had 2 wide strip scars, criss-cross across the back of his head and as he has a crew cut, they were quite noticable. I felt that he had a nice amount of scalp laxity and that we could improve one scar 50% or more. I excised the scar, and did a nice 2 (maybe even 3) layer closure and things went really smoothly. At a week, we took out his sutures, and he was to return at a month. Now I ask all patients to do this so I can look at the scar and deal with any small problems early on, before they become big problems, but in particular I want scar cases to come at that appt. He didn't.

When he walked in at 7 months, I felt that he really didn't look much better than before his case with me. And I'm pretty confident that he had a top notch revision, as it really closed easily and without tension.

So, now he wants to do it again and at this point I'm reluctant. There is nothing different that I'd do, and I think he just doesn't scar well. So I believe we will likely FUE hair into the scar. As the scar is pretty soft, I expect that to work, but again, its not a sure thing.

Fortunately most scar revisions do work though, and all scars go through a worse stage before improving...so hopefully your's will start to improve shortly.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the honest comments.

After my first surgery my scar did take forever to heal. Even 7 months later the donor area would occasionally bleed on my pillow at night which I thought was odd but I was told that was normal.

Are 30 day followups the norm in the industry? That's good that you at least extended that to your patient.

I had a 1 week followup to remove the sutures. Immediately afterward I got some mean ingrown type of hairs in the scar area but I was told that was a good sign that my hair was growing through. But nothing after one week.

I'm going to wait another 2 months and make sure the entire area is completely healed. Maybe I'll go cut some lawns to raise money for FUE.

Thanks again.

Donor bleeding 7 months post-op is NOT normal. I'm shocked you were told that it was. Who was your doc?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Guest mariewoltz25411697

You may consider a having another scar revision with ACELL treatment. ACELL promotes healing process and may reduce the scar.From what I know, Dr. Jerry Cooley uses ACELL for scars. You may consult him.

• 11 months later...

some things take time. Im 5 YEARS out and my scar still hurts. THATS a problem I am ready to correct. But when vacay comes up Ive always delayed for a FUN time. time to disppear for a week and do something about this. Ive been massaging my scalp for years and now finally I have a little laxity. next step is a consultation.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

hang in there , there are plenty of options ,so try to relax.and talk to someone you can trust and even on these forums, its a place where you have allkinds of people looking for answers regarding hairloss, ht, or scar repair. so your not alone .it will get it off your chest ang lift ur spirit , , did you have a large procedure or small one, acell is being used by some clinics, but ive read some cases where acell made the scar strech even more,dont remember the names but maybe some1 else does, try to stay positive

Desertboy. He performed the scar revision? Is he a recommended doctor from here? Let us know pls as I'm planning to do a scar revision next summer. You can PM me if you don't want to expose any names. I'm really sorry for what happened to you. That is really sad and disappointing. Many big doctors always blame it on the patient, It was not nice of him saying you are just a poor healer, That is insensitive really.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
some things take time. Im 5 YEARS out and my scar still hurts. THATS a problem I am ready to correct. But when vacay comes up Ive always delayed for a FUN time. time to disppear for a week and do something about this. Ive been massaging my scalp for years and now finally I have a little laxity. next step is a consultation.

I just did a Google search and I found my old thread!

Mine doesn't hurt normally but if I rub my fingers on it there are parts that feel lumpy and tender.

hang in there , there are plenty of options ,so try to relax.and talk to someone you can trust and even on these forums, its a place where you have allkinds of people looking for answers regarding hairloss, ht, or scar repair. so your not alone .it will get it off your chest ang lift ur spirit , , did you have a large procedure or small one, acell is being used by some clinics, but ive read some cases where acell made the scar strech even more,dont remember the names but maybe some1 else does, try to stay positive

Trying to stay positive. It's funny I used to be so self confident and sure of myself. I'm in my 30's now and I have my days where I feel as self conscious as a junior high kid!

I keep hoping for some new break through treatment that will help before I'm too old to even care.

also did you have the hat hair effect after your 1st surgery , because if you barely saw ur scar at a 2 guard ,thats pretty short, thanks for sharing your story

Actually no. It was very minimal the first time. I was used to shaving my head to a one or less guard so even a #2 was hard for me at the time.

The scar used to be mildly visible only on the sides. Now it's all around. I now get it cut at a #4. The scar is still visible and I'm constantly being asked about it. I hate it but used to it now.

Desertboy. He performed the scar revision? Is he a recommended doctor from here? Let us know pls as I'm planning to do a scar revision next summer. You can PM me if you don't want to expose any names. I'm really sorry for what happened to you. That is really sad and disappointing. Many big doctors always blame it on the patient, It was not nice of him saying you are just a poor healer, That is insensitive really.

Check your PM.

Well sorry to hear that. My brotherly advice after long research about scar revision and many questions and answers with many great doctors. I think the best strip scar revision doctors are two:-

1) Dr. Feriduni (Europe-Belgium)

2) Dr. Lindsey (North America-USA)

You can choose any of them and you will be in safe hands. I happened to prefer Feriduni due to his sufficient answers to all my lengthy detailed medical questions about scar revision. Plus try to demand the usage of staples. Its better than sutures as sutures leave dotted marks.

Remember, not every talented HT doctor is a good doctor in scar revsion. Scar revision is a different game in my opinion and trichophytic closure isn't always the best solution for it. It depends on your situation,

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

• 5 months later...

@ desertboy

I really feel for you. I play with the idea to have a scar revision done (and I'm still in doubt). To have a result that is worse than where you started from must be devastating, when you have all of your hope resting on the revision..

Since it has been a while since you started the topic, what is the end result like? Has there not been any improvement during that time?

I happened to prefer Feriduni due to his sufficient answers to all my lengthy detailed medical questions about scar revision.

Hariri, can you share some information about feriduni and his approach of the scar revision? I'm still researching but I'm very curious why exactly you have chosen him and which questions you asked.

It would be very helpfull, especially since I don't have to fly to get to his practice. I've also sent you a PM.. Thanks in advance!