How low down do they take the donor grafts?

I've seen lots of pictures of scars after HT's and they do seem to vary.

If you are thinning or bald around the crown would they take the grafts from lower than they would with someone with no crown loss?

If you measured from the very bottom of your neck where the hair begins how far up do take the grafts can someone give me an extimation of how far up they take the donor (preferably in cm).

thanks.

p.s. The reason I ask is my thinning at the crown area is pretty bad (thats why I have started fin - I think I was in denial). If I go from the top of my ear straight across I dont have any thinning but its not a mile away from that area where I've thinned.

Edited by standbyme

The crown is much higher than your donor area, so it's still taken from the same area. The donor area or safe zone is usually taken at the height of the top of your ear all the way around. This could vary higher or lower by a centimeter or so depends on where the density is best.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As you can see in the pic that you provided that the thinning goes below the top ear area into the coronet area in the center at the bottom of the crown. That many times is the difference between a class 6 and class 7 recession.

You refer to where "grafts are taken" not where the strip is taken. Are you referring to where grafts would be extracted with FUE?

IMHO the best method of examining where the safe zone would be is to examine the suspect areas for miniturization and diffusion with a video telescope. Meaning, examining the top and bottom areas of the occipital zone, and then only extracting where there are terminal hair FUs established. The scope would allow you as the patient to see for yourself on a monitor exactly where your miniturization is invading.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It would all depend on how conservative his goals are and if in fact he has stabilized his hairloss through meds.

If he has not stabilized his hairloss and/or is not interested in taking hairloss meds, than we can clearly see he is headed for a class 7 based on the thinning pattern going on in his crown and how far the thinning has already taken place.

If he were to start HTs now, he would end up chasing his hairloss with continued surgeries until he ran out of donor.

Now what?!:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY