blow dry at salon stretching scar?

i got a haircut recently, about 10 weeks about my operation

they did a hair wash where they scrub your scalp pretty vigorously, i asked her to do it more gently but after a minute she forgot and resumed the scrubbing, it was about 5 minutes

i got a haircut, then they blowdried with one of those brushes, that pulls really tight on your hair. like my hair was permed so he did this to straighten it. and it pulls very hard on your hair, at some points it was hurting and i think i felt my some discomfort in the donor area, some small sharp pain. i think the blowdry was about 15 minutes. they just take sections of your hair and pull very tight on it for like 10 seconds at a time.

do you think this could have stretched my scalp scar? i felt the scar area and felt that some scabs had come loose

im worried that i stretched my scar.

You still have scabs 10 weeks post op? That sounds like more of a problem than a simple blowout.

i got a haircut recently, about 10 weeks about my operation

they did a hair wash where they scrub your scalp pretty vigorously, i asked her to do it more gently but after a minute she forgot and resumed the scrubbing, it was about 5 minutes

i got a haircut, then they blowdried with one of those brushes, that pulls really tight on your hair. like my hair was permed so he did this to straighten it. and it pulls very hard on your hair, at some points it was hurting and i think i felt my some discomfort in the donor area, some small sharp pain. i think the blowdry was about 15 minutes. they just take sections of your hair and pull very tight on it for like 10 seconds at a time.

do you think this could have stretched my scalp scar? i felt the scar area and felt that some scabs had come loose

im worried that i stretched my scar.

I never would allow hair stylists to dry your hair that way. That sounds like traction alopecia that can occur if there is that high level of tension created in the pull. And then holding it that tight for 10 seconds at a time. NO WAY! That is nothing more than speeding up the dry time so it does not take as long, and they can get on with the next paying customer.

Don't allow this practice to continue in the future or find someone else that will listen to you. I doubt that your scar was stretched yet we cannot see the area either.

Have a friend look at the area or use a hand held mirror while you are standing in front of the mirror over your sink to look for yourself.

Hope you are fine.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I never would allow hair stylists to dry your hair that way. That sounds like traction alopecia that can occur if there is that high level of tension created in the pull. And then holding it that tight for 10 seconds at a time. NO WAY! That is nothing more than speeding up the dry time so it does not take as long, and they can get on with the next paying customer.

Don't allow this practice to continue in the future or find someone else that will listen to you. I doubt that your scar was stretched yet we cannot see the area either.

Have a friend look at the area or use a hand held mirror while you are standing in front of the mirror over your sink to look for yourself.

Hope you are fine.

Actually it is a very common thing for women. Every mid to upscale salon in the world does it and it isn't to speed up to go to the next customer. Take a look

You are absolutely correct Grease. And it's done with men as well and at times, possibly for the reasons that I suggested. Obviously not all do.

I think for a moment I may have forgotten her gender. For women, the technique is done more for the purposes of styling versatility.

The real issue however is not the "why" is it being done but the fact that in many cases the traction causes additional hairloss. Over time, it becomes permannent.:eek:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I really doubt that one 15 minute blow dry 10 weeks post-op will have a dramatic effect on the final scar. It may have caused some local discomfor, but flexion of the neck where your neck muscles attach to the back of your head is what can really effect scar width.

I also think that your scar would be unaffected by this. I am curious however why you are so concerened about your scar. I'm not trying to be a d*ck or rude just curious. I have seen a lot of posts from you concerning your scar stretching, but if you are a female who had a hairline lowering procedure and no signs or history of hair loss and you don't plan on ever shaving your head then why do you care so much about the scar?