generic finasteride

Billydett

Hi all,

I was wondering, does generic finasteride not as effective as Proecia or Proscar? What are your thoughts and experiences? I would really appreciate some advice on this, because I have been in an argument with a friend who is adamant that the generic version is just not the same or effective.

Billy

Billy,

Generic finasteride contains the same concentration as Propecia or Proscar cut into quarters (technically, Proscar quartered will contain 1.25 mg or finasteride versus 1 mg in Propecia, but the difference is usually negligible). Because of this, there really should not be any difference between the various forms of the drug.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I wasn't even aware there was a generic of Proscar (the 5mg dose of Propecia marketed under a different name).

There really doesn't need to be a generic Proscar (Finasteride), you can get 30 quantity, which after you cut into 4's, is 120 (4 month supply) for $4.00. That comes out to like .03 cents a day/dose.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)